Bornfree Kitchen

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Bornfree Kitchen

Post by CHARLOTTE »

This was posted on RV Travel.com...

Keep kitchen in mind when selecting an RV

By Chuck Woodbury
I recently spent two weeks traveling in a 1997, 21-foot Born Free Class C motorhome. It's not mine, but a friend's. Frankly, I'm glad it's not mine because the kitchen design is wacko! Granted, this is not a big rig where the purpose is full time living. But, with its reputation for quality, I would have expected a more intelligent kitchen design from Born Free. The major problem is the stove. It has only two burners, both beneath the built-in microvave -- one in front that is easy to get to, and the other toward the wall where it's a challenge to reach back and below the microwave when the front burner is going: It would be very easy to burn your hand doing so. Frankly, I found using this kitchen to prepare a meal to be more of a struggle than a pleasure. My point is that if you enjoy cooking, be sure to buy an RV where the kitchen is designed intelligently. Otherwise, you may find the preparation of a hot meal more trouble than it's worth.
ddpjep

Born Free Kitchen

Post by ddpjep »

Our first Born Free was a 23-foot Rear Kitchen model with a two burner range top. We traveled and lived in the motorhome about six months each year. The propane regulator was broken and the stove didn't work for two years before I got around to fixing it. My wife never knew that the burners didn't work during that time because she seldom uses the range.

The microwave is another matter! We use it every day. Also, we liked the convection oven so well that we bought a new stove that had a convection oven for our home.

The Born Free suits us just fine and we now own our second one.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Does anyone else experience "underpowered" microwave use when it is running off of the generator?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
rosannemarie2001

Post by rosannemarie2001 »

I have to 'chuckle' at Chuck's comments on the kitchen layout. I find the galley well organized for its space limitations and I'd go for the additional counter space those sideway burners provide in a heart beat. My cooking style doesn't frequently call for using both burners at once and I have to admit, I did burn myself once not paying attention on the back burner.
jkeffer

Post by jkeffer »

The back burner is a bit hard to access, but you can just be careful. I imagine if the person was real tall it would be worse.
Maybe the microwave could be put in the space by the door where there is plug in for TV. Silly to have two TV areas in the small space anyhow. That way a short cabinet could be put over the range and fan put up a bit higher. but we have a 26 rsb unit so don't know how it might be configured in other units.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”