Canadian Travel Insurance ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Guy Carter

Canadian Travel Insurance ?

Post by Guy Carter »

I was researching the requirements for traveling with our pet through Canada to Alaska and came across something I hadn't really considered. To quote the statement " the Social Security/medicare Program does not provide coverage for hospital or medical costs out side the U.S.A."
For those of you already aware of this, what solution/s do you have for coverage? Granted you may only be in Canada for a limited amount of time, however an emergency can happen at any time. Is there special travel insurance that will take care of hospitalization/medical costs while in Canada if you're on Medicare?
The web site is:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional_1170.html

[/b]
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

This link from the same source you quoted gives more detail about travelers who have Medicare for primary coverage, and suggests alternatives for Medicare supplemental coverage while traveling:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/hea ... _1185.html

Having been born and raised in Canada, and lived there most of my life until settling in Colorado, I assure my US friends that the Canadian healthcare system is geared to offer full and compassionate services in an emergency and at a much more affordable fee than we see here. You will find their medical staff, especially at the bedside care level, to be competent, and well-trained. Have no reservations about seeking medical help if you need it. Heck, tell 'em I sent you!

The national police force in Canada is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and it provides policing services to all communities and provinces except those that decide to raise their own police forces. They serve in a similar role to the FBI as well, for major crime investigation, and national issues. Ontario and Quebec have Provincial police forces, and emergency services, and most large cities will have a local force of some sort. They all work well together.

As for safety, a bad year in Canada is about 600 murders a year in a population of over 30 million, about the same number of people as in California. By comparison, the US sees about 16,000 homicides per year with about 10 times the population, a higher rate by almost 3:1. Gun control is a big deal, and I would not recommend you try to sneak firearms past the border without declaring them in your possession. You can have forms filled out in advance by visiting the website below.

For a country briefing from the US State Department, you should refer to:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1082.html

Good luck, or as they say in the other official language: "bon chance."
Ray'n Mary

Post by Ray'n Mary »

What the Campaigne's said is right on. Canada is a civilized and compassionate country that provides health care we in the US should be ashamed not to have. Sure, they have waits for some elective surgery, but emergency care is outstanding.

If you're determined to get travel insurance, one that has a wide range of coverage options besides medical, is Travel Guard International (715-345-0505), which has been well reviewed in, for example, International Travel Newsletter (ITN).

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”