King Controls Hardware/Software Update (King Dome)

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

SteveR

King Controls Hardware/Software Update (King Dome)

Post by SteveR »

We have a King Controls (King Dome) In-Motion TV satellite dish on the motor home. We have a Dish Network HD receiver in the coach and the current system (2006 vintage) requires manually selecting a different satellite when you want to see channels not on the current satellite. While this is much better than manually re-aligning a stand alone dish, it is not a "neat" as being able to have the receiver-dish work together to auto-shift to a new satellite without having to find out what satellite you want and then select it on the King Controls control panel and wait for it to switch. My current Dish Network receiver is very touchy about this and requires frequent "Check Switch" operations so we usually just keep it on satellite position 119 unless we want to watch a special show or movie on the other positions. We also have a HD TV in the coach and all of the HD stations are on either 61 or 148.

Anyway......
I called King Controls today to see if there is any upgrades out there that would auto-shift and the answer is.......YES. They just introduced a software upgrade which is used for the dish itself and also a new tuner/controller which has new (but different) software than the dish that will allow some newer models of King Domes to auto-switch.

There is a waiting list of over a month at this point. The mechanism to do this upgrade is to use a "software upload" box (which you essentially borrow from them) to upload the new software to the dish through the existing tuner/controller. Once you have updated the software you disconnect the "box" from the tuner and then replace the tuner with the new (upgraded) one. Then run a few checks and you are done. There is a fee for "renting" the box and for the new tuner but they will re-imburse the fees once they get their parts returned to them.

I am on the list but will have to wait 4-5 weeks for a "box" to become available. Once I do the upgrade I will let you know how it works.

For those in the market for a NEW system they now sell new units that do this already.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Are there specific model numbers that NEED the update and specific model numbers that ALREADY have this functionality? I just put a new king dome high def dual lfn dish and switch system and am using a dish receiver. Had it done 2 months ago... turns out king controls is here in Mpls and I could probably drive over there and use the thing for a few minutes in their parking lot and get home in time for lunch. (if I had to)

If you know the specific controller model that already has the new software, do tell... or I will have to go do some research...

Thanks
Trish
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

The King Controls website is a bit misleading but as far as I can tell if you have either a model 9762 or 9754 made in 2007 you should have the upgrade. If it was made in 2006 you would have to get an upgrade in the controller-tuner and the dish software. The upgrade would only apply to "newer" units (the tech said 2006 manufacture or so).

The best way is to call the Tech Support folks and give them your model and serial number so they can tell you if you can upgrade or have to buy a whole new system.

Ain't technology wonderful!
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

The King Controls website is a bit misleading but as far as I can tell if you have either a model 9762 or 9754 made in 2007 you should have the upgrade.
I checked the operating manual that came with my King-Dome Trac-King (in-motion) system, and it has a sticker on the front of the manual which shows model 9762-LP, S/N 363122, Mfg Date 6/7/2006. In checking the manual, page 21, it describes the difference between DirecTV and Dish Network operations. Apparently, manualy switching is not an issue with the DirecTV system:
Note: For DIRECTV® Subscribers: The satellite setting allows the user to select the satellite and service provider of choice. For DIRECTV subscribers, the Trac-King can also track a secondary or alternate satellite. For Dish Network® Subscribers: Use the procedure on the previous page to switch between the 110 and 119 satellites.
One less hassle for me.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

KTnLen wrote:In checking the manual, page 21, it describes the difference between DirecTV and Dish Network operations. Apparently, manualy switching is not an issue with the DirecTV system:
Note: For DIRECTV® Subscribers: The satellite setting allows the user to select the satellite and service provider of choice. For DIRECTV subscribers, the Trac-King can also track a secondary or alternate satellite. For Dish Network® Subscribers: Use the procedure on the previous page to switch between the 110 and 119 satellites.
One less hassle for me.
To get HD TV with DIRECTV you will need an additional box to decode the HD signal.

If you have DishNetwork you don't need it but you do need a HD receiver and of course an HD TV. I have an older Dishnetwork HD receiver (the first one they made) which also has a HD TV antenna coax connection. I have split the signal from the Wingard after the preamp and will see what happens once we get out of our area (which blocks all broadcasts due to a huge hill right behind the house). With some receiver playing around time I should be able to pickup HD stations on both the antenna and on the Dishnetwork...once I lock into that satellite.

I printed out a list of all the Dishnetwork stations by satellite location to make it easier to see what satellite I need to lock for what channel. For as little as we use TV it should be no big deal but it sure limits high speed channel surfing. :D

If it works I will let you know. I may have to rewire the roof antenna due to some problem with the coax from the cabover area to the roof. Long story but I think it might have gotten pinched somewhere and the signal is weak and the 12 volt signal is not getting from the Wingard control panel to the antenna. I will try to bypass it when I get the chance and confirm it.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Yes, if you get that split off successfully, and are able to draw the over the air HD signal let me know. I, too, am using an old Dish HD receiver (I don't remember...522 or some such or ???) and have a 720P TV. Since I went 1080P at home, I had to upgradw the receiver, dish and screen. But then, I don't plan on spending sll my rv time watching tv. Just did not want to be totally disappointed after this one here at home :)

Let me know how your split goes. Aftwr you split off, will you run direct to your tv and choose your source at the tv or will you run to your hd receiver?

Choices, choices...

Trish. who cant type worth a darn tonight because of a cut fingertip.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Trisha wrote:Yes, if you get that split off successfully, and are able to draw the over the air HD signal let me know. I, too, am using an old Dish HD receiver (I don't remember...522 or some such or ???) and have a 720P TV. Since I went 1080P at home, I had to upgradw the receiver, dish and screen. But then, I don't plan on spending sll my rv time watching tv. Just did not want to be totally disappointed after this one here at home :)

Let me know how your split goes. Aftwr you split off, will you run direct to your tv and choose your source at the tv or will you run to your hd receiver?

Choices, choices...

Trish. who cant type worth a darn tonight because of a cut fingertip.
My HD receiver is the original 6000, fan noise and all. I added a module to receive off the air HD signals and the receiver will process them too...I hope.

I split the signal after the pre-amp and sent one leg to the Wingard control box and the other to the 6000 receiver off-the-air module. I then run component cables from the 6000 to the TV for HD and also ran seperate audio and S-video for regular satellite TV. There is a separate coax connection from the antenna to the Wingard Antenna In; then out to the TV from the Wingard box.

Theoretically, it should all work....I will let you know when we get someplace where we can see the sky.

I have a Pioneer HD in the house and it has a great picture...it better considering what I paid for that thing 6 years ago. The TV in the RV is a 23 inch HD set with built in DVD player. It runs only one AC. The TV in the bedroom is a 17 inch and runs on 12 Volt and it also has a DVD player built in. We have not used it yet but will on this trip.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”