GPS Antenna

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hello moto

GPS Antenna

Post by hello moto »

We are considering a GPS unit and wonder if there are any that don't require an exterior mounted antenna. We know that they will work from the dash of a car without an exterior mount but the overhang of the BF is bound to be a problem. We don't really want to run a permanent cable in order to use it. Also we want to be able to transfer it to another vehicle.
litehous

Post by litehous »

I have the Garmin 660, it works great without an antenna. It works in tunnels for about 300 ft and inside my house. Garmin has come out with a model 670 & 680, which have added some extras. I got mine at Christmas time for $750 at BJ's. The price has dropped about $100 since then. Check poi-factory.com for info before and after you buy.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 that works fine mounted on the dash. The overhead area does not seem to interfere with the operation.

I have it mounted close to the inside edge of the dash so it is easier to reach.

John
whemme

Outside GPS Antenna Not Required

Post by whemme »

I have used a Garmin 2610 StreetPilot GPS system mounted on my Born Free dash in front of the driver using only the unit's internal antenna for 2 years and 10,000 miles of motorcoach travel and the performance has been just excellent. The overhang of the coach cabover has not caused any signal blockages that I can detect. It is a non issue with the Garmin product.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Brent

Post by Brent »

I also have the 2610 and the cab overhead doesn't seem to have an effect, however downtown areas that surround me with tall buildings will stop the reception (Atlanta, Houston, etc.). Sometimes if I'm in a valley with mountains around me I lose reception.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Brent wrote:I also have the 2610 and the cab overhead doesn't seem to have an effect, however downtown areas that surround me with tall buildings will stop the reception (Atlanta, Houston, etc.). Sometimes if I'm in a valley with mountains around me I lose reception.
The frequencies that th GPS satellites use are line of sight. The phenomena of losing reception in urban canyons and in areas with lots of tree branches overhanging the road is common to all pure GPS sets. There was some talk of using dead reckoning or LORAN for continued coverage in those instances but I haven't seen any sets incorporating that technology.
robert

Navigate Without Satellite Signals

Post by robert »

The following is taken from an advertisement for the Garmin Street Pilot 7500.

Navigate Without Satellite Signals
For big city drivers, the StreetPilot 7500 includes dead reckoning capabilities, which means it continues to provide position data if you lose signal in areas with tall buildings or tunnels. Professional installation is required.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I have the Garmin 2620 for almost 3 years now....Absolutely love it.... 8)
Larry Nordby

Garmin GPS

Post by Larry Nordby »

I still use my 4-5 year old IQue 3600. It's a combination Palm/GPS that I place on the dash, plug into the lighter and take off. I especially like the capability of the IQue as the Palm contains my list of contacts (which I can downlaod to the GPS and store as a waypoint), calendar, Etc. I've taken it on business trips and never had to resort to a map.

I'm finding another use for it as I become older...it gets me to, and from, the office....... everyday. It's great!!
Larry Nordby

Post by Larry Nordby »

OOOPS, I forgot to mention that the IQue is a Garmin.
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

We just bought the Garmin Street Pilot 2720 on sale from Costco.com for $350. Took it on its maiden voyage this past week and just love it. Like others have reported, there was no problem using it without an external antenna with our cabover.. Larry
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

rv4fun....Just want to tell you what a deal you got on that Garmin. I bought mine for $1,100. but received $100.00 rebate from Garmin. Best $1,000.00 I've spent. Being as I get lost so easy (have no sense of direction)...I've probably saved that $1000. in gas & frustration....Good luck to you...I know you'll love it! 8)
Ray'n Mary

GPS

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Few months ago our kids gave us a Garmin "Nuvi 660." (Hm, maybe to keep us out of town?)
It works excellently right from our lap(s), without any external antenna. Wouldn't travel without it. Especially for finding and directing us to things like food, markets, etc.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”