Electric Brakes

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

robert

Electric Brakes

Post by robert »

I may have to tow a trailer (car hauler) with electric brakes.

Does anyone know if the 2002 24RB is prewired for installing an electric brake controller?
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

My Born Free was not wired for towing a trailer with electric brakes, but that's not really a problem. I had an electric brake controller installed in the Born Free so I could tow my boat trailer. You can buy & install these conrollers at a lot of places like Camping World, U-Haul, most RV Service places, etc. When the controller was installed a wire was run from the controller to the electical plug-in trailer connector that was already on the rear bumper of my Born Free. That connector had an unused contact for a brake line. The bottom line should be that you only have to have an electric brake controller installed in your Born Free. If for some reason you don't have a plug-in trailer connector on your coach, the outfit installing the brake contoller can easily install it as well.. Larry
robert

Post by robert »

Thanks, I was hoping that it was something as simple as that.

I have seen controllers selling from $59 to $200. This is going to be a one time trip of about two or three weeks. Naturally I would like to get by as cheaply as possible.

What should I be looking for in a controller?
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

If it's a one shot deal, I think you can get an adequate controller for $50 to $100 plus installation. I have one installed on our Born Free and one installed on our Ford Bronco.. both are for towing our boat. I paid around $60 for one of them and around $100 for the other. They both work ok and have been reliable for the last 4 years. I'm not sure what the difference in features/benefits are on these two units, even though I did look into that when I purchased them. So, I probably can't be of much help when it comes to features to look for. You might ask the places you're considering buying the unit from what they think about the different units they carry. Your gut feeling of not spending a lot of $ on a one shot deal sounds like a good way to go.. Larry

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”