Tire valve stem failures

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ralph Strauch

Tire valve stem failures

Post by Ralph Strauch »

I replaced my original Firestone tires in Sept 2003 with Michelins from Costco. I asked them to give me steel valve stems, but they used rubber stems instead that they said were were reinforced with metal cores and appropriate for the tires. Six months later a valve stem failed and they replaced it. I should have taken the hint, but didn't, and another stem failed this month. Both times I caught it quickly and was near a Costco, so it didn't cause a major problem. Now it's clear I need to replace the rubber valve stems.

Before my Born Free I had a Monaco Mini, for 24 years and over 100k miles. I had metal stems and extenders, and never had a valve stem problem, so I'm thinking about just going with metal stems again. The duallys seem a bit pricy, and I don't like the idea of tying each wheel to one location on the car. I know that others on this forum have purchased Costco tires and wonder what you've done about the valve stems and what your experience has been? Has anyone actually had problems with metal stems and extenders?

Ralph
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Ralph,
There seem to be more than one problem with rubber valve stems, they are not suitable to handle 80psi and the continous flexing caused by the valve stem extender finally breaks off the rubber valve where it enters the rim. One way to partly alleviate this last problem is to make sure to use slender extenders (Like BF ones) so the extender takes up part of the vibration. All of this is from personal experience so I can verify it as fact.

The other problem is you can't find the steel stems at just any tire place. I learned to buy a few when you can find them and hand one to the mechanic, OPPS, being politically correct I should have said "technician" However when I was doing it I was a mechanic, if it was good enough for me it will work for the next guy. As I said mechanic and have him install it. After many thought provoking cups of coffee I finally spent the money for Borg Stems ($89). This old yankee does not spend money like that easily, but I have not had a failure since. Yes they prevent easy and convenient rotating but your troubles are over. Good day George B
George Boley
Knowledge will never be lost, provided it is shared
norijake

Post by norijake »

Ralph,

Shortly after purchasing our '04 ('03 chassis) 26RB we had a failure of the BF standard issue valve stem, an inside dually. Last month I replaced our '03 tires and had a Tireman ( http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~tire-man/products.html ) steel valve stem kit installed in the six wheels. At the same time, I also had steel valve stems installed in our '07 Wrangler wheels because we use a TPMS and the sensors appeared that they could cause an inordinate amount of flex in the existing rubber stems. I don't know if that is true of not, but I wasn't comfortable with the very flexible appearing rubber stems and, after seeing how sturdy the steel ones feel, I'm very comfortable with them and happy that I had the rubber stems replaced. BTW, to install steel valve stems in the Jeep wheels (X with S pkg) requires that the stems be slightly modified to fit into a recess in the Jeep's wheels.

I would highly recommend the steel valve stems. I just happened to use the Tireman product but there are others that are essentially the same. I know Borgs ( http://www.borgtiresupply.com/ ) have the same reputation for reliability and quality and the truck tire supplier where I bought my tires also had steel valve stems available. They looked to be the same as the Tireman. FWIW I also had all my tires inflated with nitrogen. Don't know how important that is but it came with the tires and seemed pretty cool (excuse the pun). The tire supplier/installer said that they install around 1200 metal stem sets a year in commercial trucks and personal RVs. Seems to be the thing to do.

Jake
robert

Post by robert »

A new rubber valve stem will work with the PressurePro sensors because the rubber is still flexible. As the wheels turn the 3/4 ounce weight of the sensor will cause the rubber valve stem to flex slightly. As they become older, the rubber valve stems tend to become stiffer, with the result that the valve stem tilts slightly which may cause a loss of air around the valve stem seat.

I recommend to all my customers that if their valve stems are rubber and they have been on the vehicle for several years, it would probably be a wise move to replace them with the metal valve stems.
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

Ralph - I guess it's a matter of opinion on safety or putting your mind at ease. The all metal valve stems are much safer. Yes, they will cost you some money and additional money to have them installed. However if you consider the possible $150 to be a lot, then consider the cost of a shredded tire/s, wrecked vehicle, or worse - injuries to yourself and passengers. A blowout isn't the easiest thing to handle when on the freeway or going down a 10% grade!!! I've used them on two different vehicles now with no problems or leaks. Ford should be installing them at the factory on everything from a 350 and up! Changing out the all the valve stems was the first item on my list when I got home with my BF.
Anyway, you're asking all the right questions.
karls

Post by karls »

Add me to the list of victims of rubber valve stem failure. Fortuneately, I had the Pressure Pro TPMS and it caught the leak on the rear inside dual before it ruined both tires. Like a previous poster, as soon as I got home I had metal stems installed on the rear duals. I feel I can eyeball the front wheels for adequate pressure so I left the rubber stems on and put those sensors on my glider trailer.

The pressure monitor also detected a slow leak from a rusty nail, so I'm convert to tire pressure monotoring systems (and metal valve stems).

Karl Striedieck 98RB
Ralph Strauch

valve stem problem resolved

Post by Ralph Strauch »

I'm the original poster for this thread, and I want to bring you up to date with the resolution. After my second rubber valve stem failed I wrote Costco customer service -- to say that the rubber valve stems created a dangerous and potentially life threatening hazard, and to ask that mine be replaced. I immediately received a nice reply saying my concerns would be forwarded to people in charge of tire sales. After hearing nothing for two weeks I wrote again, and still got no response.

Yesterday morning I emailed Costco's CEO James Sinegal about the issue. I asked that my valve stems be replaced and suggested that Costco reconsider its policy of using rubber stems on trucks and motorhomes because of the potential hazard. When I got up this morning there was a response in my mailbox from someone at Costco, asking for more information. We've had several email exchanges today. The upshot is that I'm taking the coach in next week to have the valve stems replaced and the tires inspected. He also said that he would make sure that Costco stocks different types of valve stems, and direct that steel stems be installed for inflation pressures over 65psi.

I'm very happy with this resolutiion. It validates my impression of Costco as one of the rare corporate "good guys" who cares about their customers and the service they provide. I would certainly recommend them as a source of motorhome tires.

Ralph
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Ralph, your initial communications issues with customer service personnel are all too typical for large corporations like Costco. One you push your way through the reeds and make contact with someone who can actually make a decision on behalf of the company, you are likely to get a favorable resolution. Thanks for being persistent.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I agree with Karl regarding the metal valve stems plus a TPMS system. Just a couple of weeks ago while in the coach my tire monitoring system (Tire Sentry) displayed a low pressure warning on my tow car which was parked by the coach (not hooked up). Fortunately it was a slow leak due to a faulty valve core but easily corrected in my driveway vs a problem on the road. Traveling without concerns of tire inflation problems is certainly more relaxing.
Mel & Connie
robert

TPMS

Post by robert »

Just a reminder, you can not get a better system at any cost than the PressurePro TPMS.

I did a considerable amount of research before I purchased my own PressurePro system. As the ad says, "I was so impressed, I "bought" the company".

I have a web site at www.tpms.us which is very informative. You might want to take a look at it.

A TPMS system is well worth the investment in safety and the security of you and your family.

I will contribute 5% of all future sales to Bornfree Club Members to the BornFree Club.

Regards,

Robert
bogrady

Tireman

Post by bogrady »

let me second the Tireman in Ridgecrest solution. I ordered his metal valve extenders and had FORD install them. Work perfectly and allow easy access.
Just be careful when rotating or changing tires on rear to not screw up the extenders. Tell Costco or whomever to pay attention with the rear tires.
sutton

Valve stems to use with PressurePro tire pressure monitor

Post by sutton »

Hi All
I have a 2003 24 ft Rear Bat

I just got a 16 Wheel Monopole PressurePro Tire pressure monitor. I have Borg metal valve stems on my unit with the inner tire stem clamped to the metal hub so it can't rock

Which metal valve stems (length/size) do you recommend for the rear tires. Do you recommend using a T-valve on the end so that the tires can be pumped without unscrewing the monitor?

I have 2 problems
(1) Rear out dual tire extender hisses out air when I remove the pressurepro monitor and it leaks a couple of PSI per hour with the monitor screwed onto it... It think it is an issue with the end of the stem being stuck in a depressed position but I am not 100% sure
(2) An inner rear tire had one piece of the entender fail to take in air or let air out so I was getting a zero pressure reading. The PressurePro dealer (L&S) recommends using as few pieces as possible and for some reason I seem to have 3 pieces of extender daisy chained to the tire. They say that everything must be wrench tightened to keep it snug and to use as few pieces of extender as possible

I'm heading out on a very long trip across the Country in 2 weeks and just want to get the most reliable setup possible

Thanks for your help!
Angela
Angela Sutton ..... and the labradors and border collies :-)
2003 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Angela,

I guess I am confused because you state that you have Borg metal valve stems but you say that you still have valve stem extenders. If you still need extenders, then you have the wrong Borg metal valve stems installed.

Then you also state - I have Borg metal valve stems on my unit with the inner tire stem clamped to the metal hub so it can't rock If you have the correct Borg metal valve stems there is no need to have to clamp them to prevent them from moving. The Borg stems mount should be quite rigid.

The website for the Borg Tire Dually metal valve stems has changed and is now called Your TireShop Supply. The direct clickable link is: http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/2 ... alve-dl1ec

This P/N DL1EC kit is for the 1998 - 2005 Ford E350/450 chassis. contains the 4 chrome custom bent metal valve stems for the 4 rear dual wheels at a cost of $120.00. This are the metal valve stems I have on my 2002 Born Free 26' RSB coach and I also have a PressurePro TPMS installed.

You should also replace the front wheel rubber valve stems with metals stems but they are not included in the above kit. Click on this link for metal valve stems for the front wheels: http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/2 ... 1-vh1224rc. These VH1224RC chrome metal valve stems cost $8.32 each.

A second source for metal valve stems would be the Tire Man. Direct clickable link to their website is: http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~tire-man/products.html

The stem kit that you would need from them is Kit #2-6F at a cost of $135.00 plus $10.00 freight. This kit also includes the 4 metal valve stems for the 4 rear duals.

When ordering from either of these two sources, make sure to verify the correct kit number to fit your particular Ford E350 or E450 chassis.
Last edited by whemme on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
sutton

Post by sutton »

Thanks Bill -- For the inner tire, I wonder whether my RV place added an extender that lets me use my Craftsman tire pump

My understanding is that it's critical to tighten the sensor just enough so as to push down on the core of the stem but not too much and that you have to exercise care when removing the sensors lest the stem unscrew.

How do you handle the process of pumping the tires so that you don't run into problems with loosening things up. Do you carry a pump with you, and, if so, which ?

Thanks once again!
Angela
Angela Sutton ..... and the labradors and border collies :-)
2003 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

sutton wrote:Thanks Bill -- For the inner tire, I wonder whether my RV place added an extender that lets me use my Craftsman tire pump

My understanding is that it's critical to tighten the sensor just enough so as to push down on the core of the stem but not too much and that you have to exercise care when removing the sensors lest the stem unscrew.

How do you handle the process of pumping the tires so that you don't run into problems with loosening things up. Do you carry a pump with you, and, if so, which ?

Thanks once again!
Angela
If you have the proper Borg Tire or Tire Man metal valve stems you should not need an extender to use your Craftsman tire pump.

There is no way that the metal valve stem is going to unscrew itself from the tire rim just by unscrewing a PressurePro sensor from the valve stem. I screw my sensors onto the metal valve stem just far enough so that I can feel it bottoming out against the internal red rubber seal in the sensor.

I guess I am not sure why you are worried about loosening things up. Those metal valve stems will not loosen up if properly installed. They are mounted into the rim securely and you can hardly move them in any direction with hard sideways force applied to them with your hand. Your tire shop will need to break the tire bead from the stem hole side of each tire rim in order to install these metal valve stems.

I carry a portable air compressor inside the coach in case I need to add air to any of the tires - however, that has been rare since I got rid of those darn problem prone rubber valve stems and associated flexible extenders.

I have had my PressurePro TPMS since 2005 and the batteries in the sensors finally were starting to die so finally had to order replacement sensors earlier this year. I really like the way that system works. I also have sensors for my toad.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”