leveling jacks

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

leveling jacks

Post by jobrien »

I did a search and read some of the past topics about using leveling jacks. I would like to know if there are any new systems people may be using, or ones that are worth looking into.

I spoke to Kim and he said BF uses HWH. ANd reading the past posts it seems like others are using them also.

I know Atwood has come out with electric jacks, and I believe some other manufacturers have also.

From what I understand, as an aftermarket item, the electric ones weigh less, are easier to install (no high pressure lines, pumps, etc) but cost about the same.

My concern would be with the installation. What BF installed tanks, plumbing, etc., would be in the way of the jacks mounting plates or clearance requirements.

I have a set of the Lynx leveling blocks, but I really feel sorry for my wife having to go out in the pouring rain, crawling around on her hands and knees to get them just right, and then I pull up on them and say "oops, not enough", and we have to start all over again. I think I can get a few more years out of her if I get the jacks. :wink:

Any thoughts or suggestions (don't tell me to get a younger wife) are welcome.

Thanks

John
iowaride

leveling jacks

Post by iowaride »

We had the HWH home plant install hydralic levelers on our used 2002 24RB. The control box takes up some floor space next to the driver's seat, but we easily move around it without a problem. The loss of space is far outweighed by the ease of leveling, in all kinds of weather--in our opinion.

I took the BF to HWH myself. The installation took most of the day. There is a lounge area provided. Numerous customers were there from all over the States and Canada as they had installations or repairs. Most spent the time chatting. Some had spent the previous night on the grounds. Don't know if they had any hookups though. Cedar River campground is located on the northwest side of the same exit as the HWH plant which is on the southeast corner. Exit 267, I-80, Tipton, Iowa. At noon customers are loaded into a van and taken out to lunch at The Cove Restaurant, famous for their pies.

When the installation was complete, I was given a demonstration of the levelers and then I gave a redemonstration. Then I showed my husband how to do it when I got home. I believe the installation was straight-forward, with no BF tanks, etc. causing any hangups.

If you decide on HWH, maybe it could be incorporated with your Forest City trip.

Sharon Harrington
East coast of Iowa
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've had both types of leveling jacks, we now have the HWH on our 2005 24RB and I much prefer this over the electrics. One of the problems with electric jacks is the amount of current each jack uses, I found I had to only activate one at a time or it would blow my circuit breaker. I had these on a Class A Pace Arrow and not a BF.
I also had the HWH's installed at the factory, I later had a problem of the mounting bracket cracking due to HWH not installing a couple of "gussets" properly. I had a local welding shop do it correctly and HWH agreed to pay for it and we haven't had any problems since. We also have the controls just to the right of the drivers seat and have a wooden cover (matching the cabinets) covering it.
Steve
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I had Quadra Bigfoot hydrolic jacks installed. They are fully automatic or I can run them manually. The control panel is mounted in the headliner just above the center of the windshield. I have the 32 footer so the cab is the Chevy Kodiak C5500 so there is a lot more space up there.

We had a local distributor install them. It took a full day to get them installed. The jacks are independent and each has its own pump and fluid chamber.

So far so good. We like hitting a button and having the system do the hard work. We do need to add some blocks sometimes when the legs are just not long enough.

The Bigfoot jacks have a hydrolic returns on them so there is no need for an additional spring to retract them like the HWH ones.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”