Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club

This forum is for Born Free Owners and those interested in owning a Born Free.
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Re-cover Over Cab Bed
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 am 

Hey fellow Born Free folks,

I don't have a question, but thought I would share an upgrade we completed this week to our 2003 24 RB. We really like the material of the Flex-steel chairs and couch and wanted to re-cover our over cab bed in the same fabric. We have the leather like Ultra Leather. I called Flex-steel and got more info on the fabric - there are cards in our seats with all the details and Flex-steel used this information to give me the exact info I needed on the fabric. Flex-steel could have sold a few yards of the fabric to us - they had some left over for $75 a yard, but I was able to find it several other locations that carried it. For us, our fabric was Ultraleather® Original Chamois and I found it for about $65 a yard at Sailrite = https://www.sailrite.com/Ultraleather-Fabric-54-Chamois.

To re cover the over cab bed we needed 10 yards. The cost was about $600 for the fabric.

I was able to find a local person willing to do the whole project for $750. We took this opportunity to add 2 inches of memory foam to the existing foam - a Cal King mattress topper is enough material to work with. I got the topper on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2HFC4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The item was called - LINENSPA 2 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper California King - but there are several different ones on there that are all about the same. I do not think I would go with more than 2 inches - otherwise the mattress will not fold out without rubbing the roof. Also, this brings the mattress top up to the lower level of the windows. I like this, because I like to tuck the window curtains along side the mattress to hold them in place. I realize this might not be for everyone. Some folks don't like sleeping on this fabric. We usually sleep on the couch - and our two kids (12 and 14 years old) sleep up top. We never had an issue with the fabric being too hot and usually use a sleeping bag. However, the new mattress feels great with the memory foam and I think we might be moving up top in the future :-) I like how easy it is to clean and it brightens up the area a lot. We did kept the older cover - it is in perfect shape and we could put it back if we ever needed too.

Here are a few images of the project.

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]