Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club

This forum is for Born Free Owners and those interested in owning a Born Free.
It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:56 am 

We found a well-kept secret in the Bayfield Area of Wisconsin this summer. We wanted to go to the Apostle Islands, and I started doing research online. I found a kayaking website and folks there raved about a city park in Washburn that was a few miles south of Bayfield.

They were right. The city of Washburn, WI has two city parks for camping, $130 a week, includes cable TV, water (high pressure so use your fresh tank) and 30 and/or 50 amp service (new). Also a free dump station. Right on a small bay in lake Superior. About 10 minutes south of Bayfield, but nice and quiet, friendly folks. Also showers, a huge playground and access to the beach and a picnic area on the shore.

Also, Thompson's West End has a spring for drinking water that is free for anyone in the city. Just fill up anything you can carry... You can't fill your rig with it. Way too much water coming out. But excellent drinking water free for all. Amazing!

Here is their website: http://www.cityofwashburn.org/
Memorial Park is for smaller rigs (my 26' fit just fine, but the right fork toward the playground has bigger sites.) Thompson's West End is for bigger rigs.

Both campgrounds are FIRST COME FIRST SERVE only. No reservations. So if you plan to camp for a week, but are arriving on a Tuesday, you win.

We loved it. Close to berry picking too.

Turns out, Memorial is my next-door neighbor's fav. campground in WI, and they went every year for about 30 years. I give it 2 thumbs up.