Generac generator problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mel Wilbur

generator problem

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Just received this from Kim Olson, looks like the problem has been solved.

Re: Generator Kick Out

We have completed our failure analysis on the kick out problem on the Generac Generators here at the factory, a generator Rep worked with us as did a Rep from parallax our Converter supplier.

Parallax Components which supplies the transfer switch ( ATS ) to us, determined we should try a different transfer switch. Our service Technician installed a new “Electronicâ€
Mel & Connie
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Thanks Mel. I have already installed the new "Electronic" converter because my old mechanical had failed on the power cord side, haven't tested air yet for kick out but sure that was the problem because I use to hear a click in converter area when the compressor kicked out. Thanks again for carrying the ball on this one. Denny.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Good to hear it wasn't the Generac generator. Those that were thinking of the more expensive proposition of changing out the Generac for an Onan unit, might want to reconsider.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Dennis, I am only the messenger, the thanks goes to Kim, he is the one that carried to ball.
Mel & Connie
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Yeah, only after you jerked his chain. Thanks again. Denny
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I've never had to prod Kim for anything. He has always been most helpful!

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
iowaride

Post by iowaride »

We have always found Kim to be professional, helpful, prompt, kind, courteous, friendly and any other superlatives that you can think of. (Left out thrify and brave, but he may be those, too. :D) He has gone way beyond the call of duty with rapid response to help us with our needs.
Sharon and Bill Harrington
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

For the record, I did not "jerk Kims chain". Regarding my post of the 11th and the follow up I had called Kim regarding a different subject and during the conversation he mentioned what he had discovered regarding the generac problems so I thought it would be a good idea to pass it on so everyone would know that progress was being made on the subject.
Mel & Connie
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

From my experience with Kim I find him quite capable of taking lifes ups and downs. I bet he can brush off any disrespectful comment without the need of any of us coming to his defense. Methinks we may be just a tad too quick to try to protect him. He has earned our admiration of his professional skills so let his daily interchange with all his customers speak for itself.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Peter Robinson

Transfer Switch Replacement

Post by Peter Robinson »

I spoke with Kim at Born Free yesterday and asked him about the situation with older Born Frees experiencing a generator stalling and AC compressor kick out problem. He explained that the assistance with the change from mechanical to electronic transfer switch to solve this problem applies to coaches under warrantee and not to older coaches such as our 2005 BFT. If this problem is a problem of faulty design of the system rather than age failure it seems Born Free might want to step up with some type of support for all BF coaches experiencing this problem. For example providing the parts for installing an adaquately functioning electronic transfer switch (a kit perhaps) and specific instructions owners could follow to make the change themselves. Isn't this situation similar to what the auto industry would deal with as a "recall".
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Peter, are you saying that on your 2005 BFT you are experiencing the Generac generator kick-out problem discussed in this thread? The reason I ask is because what I understood the results of the failure analysis done by BF, Generac, and Parallax representatives was that mechanical automatic transfer switches (ATS) installed in BF model years 2007 forward may be defective.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

bcope01 wrote:Peter, are you saying that on your 2005 BFT you are experiencing the Generac generator kick-out problem discussed in this thread? The reason I ask is because what I understood the results of the failure analysis done by BF, Generac, and Parallax representatives was that mechanical automatic transfer switches (ATS) installed in BF model years 2007 forward may be defective.

Bill
Yes Bill we are experiencing this cut out problem. The AC cuts out and the generator slows way down and stalls almost quitting and then limps along. This is a repeating pattern when using the roof AC on highest settings and powered by the Generac. When on shore power, no problem. Kim did not seem surprized that this was happening on a 2005 BFT but we didn't get more specific after BF's position clearly seemed to be that this was a warantee issue with Parallax and the transfer switch and replacement support restricted to a warantee period and the responsibility of Parallax. When I originally read this whole thread as it developed I thought there were several posts identifying this problem in somewhat older coaches but I may be mistaken. If there are, it seems more like it may be a electrical system design problem and more like a recall situation. Kim did not know how much it would cost for me to make this transfer switch change and I haven't called Parallax.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Pete, I feel your pain on this issue. Fortunately, I had a 2008 coach; therefore, I replaced my transfer switch, under warranty, with Parallax's newer ATS 301 which is electrical vs. mechanical. Not sure when BF made the change from the old mechanical to the newer electrical, just know that when I was talking with Kim about my BFT which is an early 2008 coach on a 2007 Ford chassis, he wasn't sure whether it was mechanical or electrical. In my opinion, Born Free should have been more proactive with this issue and even now that they have identified the cause, as mentioned above, I have yet to receive written notification from Born Free, which as a new owner under warranty, would be an appropriate step on their part. Oh well, it is hard to get everything perfect, I'm just thankful this problem has been identified and I'm sure there will be others as this website is testimony to, it's part of the adventure.

The good news is, the ATS 301 isn't that expensive and even with my limited knowledge and a telephone call to Parallax, was able to change out myself and also want to congratulate you on your refrain from using the "Jerk your chain" phrase, it can be upsetting to some.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Bill Hemme or bfadmin, would it be possible to run a poll here to see how many are affected with the generator 30-sec cut out problem?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

Biil,

I am not sure what kind of pole you had in mind, but anyone who has this problem can so state in a posting made to this topic. Anyone making such a post however needs to register on this forum before they can reply to this topic. You register by clicking on the blue Register on the top of the this page and follow all instructions completely.

If fact before registering, please read and understand the topic Registration Hints & Rules - Read Before Registering! located near the top of this discussion forum's home page.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”