Bicycle Rack

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

MartyT

Bicycle Rack

Post by MartyT »

We're new owners of a 2002 24' RB. Any suggestions about a bicycle rack for two bikes? We would like to use the receiver hitch (we don't tow anything). Any suggestions?
iowaride

bike rack

Post by iowaride »

We use this sturdy 4 bike rack, though we only ever take two bikes at a time. We had a 2 bike rack and it let the bikes rub and bang against each other from the road jostling. We opted for the 4 bike rack then and the bikes don't touch. While we only take the 2 bikes at a time, it accommodates our 2 road or 2 mt. or our tandem. This rack swings out, has adjustable rubber straps to secure the bikes, a locking system. We don't have any complaints with it.
It will hold 4 bikes but they will probably be in contact with each other, so your paint job may suffer, and possibility of damage to a frame.

http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/ ... only).aspx

Sharon Harrington
2002 24RB 7.3 Powerstroke
lafons

Post by lafons »

We use a soft ride (brand) . It works very well and has some neat features. You can find it at most bike shops or search it on the internet . Holds 4 bikes and is easy to load and unload.
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
stephejo

Bike Rack

Post by stephejo »

We purchased a Yakima 2 bike rake. It fits into the 2" receiver.
Yakima makes a variety of bike racks and I am very satisfied with ours. We have carried the bikes for 30000 miles with no damage at all.
The bikes are supported from the bottom with a yoke holding the front wheel and a lock down strap on the rear. That is it. It was an expensive rack but well worth it for us.
John Stephenson
"Set Free"
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We have two Dahon folding bikes. They go into their separate vinyl storage bags and ride on the cab over bed. We don't have to worry about theft.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
jerseypete

Bicycle Rack

Post by jerseypete »

Hello,
I have a 2008RB, solar panels, 2000w inverter, 4 Trojan coach batts, macerator system, banks pp, Koni shocks and Rear stab. bar, CB.
For two bikes I purchased a Sportrack Hitch Platform System 2EZ.
Cost $250.00 complete
Excellent rack, perfect for safe and easy mounting on BF
Do not have a web site for Sport rack, sorry.
Purchased it at Driftwood RV Center, Clermont NJ 609-624-1899
My philosophy: You get what you pay for, ie BF.
Good luck, see you down the road, jerseypete
ddpjep

Bike Rack Web Site

Post by ddpjep »

Here is a web site. Price about $165.

http://www.dmartstores.com/spa3unhiplsy ... elid=FROOG
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

We have a wonderful rack for our tandem which mounts on the hitch. The company went out of business but the concept of the rack is worth considering if you really want to secure the bikes. The front wheel comes off (and goes under the sofa) and the back wheel is secured by large screw things that go into the back pedal sprockets. The bike is totally stationary which is great unless you back into something! We also found out the hard expensive way that you need a really good cover - just covering the components did not do the job on a long trip as our disc brake rusted. We had a cover custom made which protects the whole bike. This is probably overkill for a lot of folks - it depends on the bikes and the components.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
iowaride

bike cover

Post by iowaride »

We completely cover our bikes like Chuck and Judy. We use a ready made product by Skinz.
http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/bicy ... overs.html

Bill and Sharon Harrington
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Its interesting to see that Yakima Racks are being used so successfully on motorhomes. Last week I called their Customer Service department with some questions that the bike store salesmen couldn't answer. The Rep. started out his response by telling me that Yakima does not recommend using their racks on Motorhomes or other RV's. Seems that the distance between the rear axle to the hitch is so much greater than on a van, car or pick-up truck that the forces exerted on the rack are much greater and their racks have failures. He told me that their warranty is void if used on a Motorhome. He also indicated that 2 of his major competitors, Thule and Saris also have the same policy. I was able to find 2 manufacturers, Blue-Ox and Swagman, who do not seem to discourage use of their products on a Motorhome. However some of their disclaimers on their on-line instruction manuals give me some concern. That said, I guess that any of these racks could have welds break or other parts fail but it must not happen too often as I see a whole lot of bike racks on the back of motorhomes.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

Bike on the back = nasty. I carry a folding bike inside coach.
Charles
2010 RSK
Titusville, Fl.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
lafons

Post by lafons »

I'll put in another good word for Softride. I know they are built well and have lived well in my use ( About 40000 miles by now ) Mine was even rear ended hard enought that the other car had to be towed and the bike rack came away with only a scrach, still worked perfectly.Ther were no bikes on it at the time. :lol:
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

I have used a Reese 4 bike hitch mounted carrier extensively on the rear of my previous 23' Class C with no problems. When I loaded it with my bikes, I could feel it working the RV suspension (two of the bikes were heavy junkMart bikes, two high quality, lightweight bikes). On the BF, I installed a front hitch for the bicycles, I can feel the bikes and rack working the front suspension and adding a bit a vagueness to the steering. Demands a bit of extra attention, but it's the best set up for me. The bicycle rack has seen 10 years of trouble free service, you can tow a light trailer if you have two or less bikes on it, otherwise the rear two bikes block things. Occasionally I have carried a bike inside, it's easy to scratch things, the bike moves as you drive too. I don't do that with the BF, it's too nice.

For the original poster, I'd get a 4 bike hitch mounted carrier, you can spread your bikes further apart to minimize scratching, and a bonus, take friends out biking sometime too, the BF is a great way to go biking.
Last edited by ewagman on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have an inexpensive two bike rack purchased from Camping World some years ago that mounts on the roof ladder. You get a bunch of straps with the rack and an illustration on how to tie them down. The big advantage of this rack as I see it is that it leaves the hitch open and I can tow my CRV as well. We have cheap bikes and I don't mind if they collect road dirt. We ride them with our grandchildren in state parks. I imagine some of the solutions already offered on this thread are better ideas if you ride your bikes a lot or have expensive bikes, but what I have works well for me.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

We have two folding bikes that we carry in the two outside accessible underbed compartments of our 22' BFT. The folding bikes are 20" diam. wheeled "Novara Buzz FlyBy's" from REI. There is room left over in the storage compartment on one side for four bagged chairs ( 2 for guests)and a 2'x4' folding table (from Camping World) and on the other side for 3 busboy plastic pans (resturant supply) with maintainence supplies, tools, hoses, etc. Be sure and measure the height of the bikes folded as ours just fit at about 12" high and try the bikes in there before purchase for fit if you consider using side compartments.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”