Oil Filter Alert--Onan Generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

George Boley

Post by George Boley »

I happened to have my feet sticking out from under the coach the other day, when I looked up and saw damage to the bottom of the generator oil filter. Further investigation provided support for the following conclusion.

The clearence between the filter and the generator lower frame is fine in the off and run position. However while starting and particularly while one holds the off button down the generator shakes violently. This shake causes the oil filter to come in contact with the Onan's lower frame which caves in the bottom of the filter. This condition cannot be seen from a standing or kneeling position, unless a mirror is used.

As we know filters are very thin and it would not be long before this action rubs a hole right through the filter. :( The result of which I don't have to explain. Especially when I can find nothing in the manual about a low oil cutoff. A safty feature some generators have. My coach is a 99, the generator has only 47 hrs on it, and the motor mounts are tight, so we are faced with a bad design that requires our constant attention and an extra filter on board.

My research suggest the following filters should fit, Onan #122-0645, Purlator #L10241, and STP Deutsch #D366.

Going slow and sharing what we know. George B
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

George,

I have looked all over my generator and in the booklet and cannot seem to find the oil filter.

I have the Microquiet 4000. Is it possible that it doesn't have one?
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi George,

When we bought our used born free, the onan emerald generator (bge, spec h) had the wrong oil filter installed (122-0800). It screws on ok, but is longer than the right filter and was hitting against the mounting frame and denting the filter. As you point out, it is only a matter of time before it will started leaking, so I replaced it with the right filter (0122-0645), which is shorter and doesn't hit the mounting frame. I also bought the oil filter wrench (0420-0559), which makes it easy to install and remove the short filter.

Not sure if yours is the same, but if so, you need the short filter...
Sab & Ann

Oil Filters for Onan

Post by Sab & Ann »

Hi George. You can add Fram # 3614 to your list of filters for the Onan.
2000 RB, E450
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Tim,
Your manual should point it out. On mine all you see is the end, facing at 9 o'clock from the drivers seat. It lays horizontal half way up the generator. George B

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”