ladders

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jean & Leroy

ladders

Post by Jean & Leroy »

We are planning to buy a
Born Free and to sleep on the top bunk. I noticed that one person built a step. Do most of you use the ladder or do you have other solutions?
whemme

LADDER?

Post by whemme »

You don't state if you are planning on buying new or used. If new, Born Free at one time at least offered a special version of their overhead cab bed model called I believe 'Stairway to Heaven' which had a 3 or 4 step stairway rather than using a ladder to access the overhead bed. You should contact Born Free in Humboldt to find out if this option is still being offered - that is if you are considering buying new.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

We bought our 2005 last June and it came with a ladder from the factory. When traveling, we simply store it in the cab over. I have at times climbed up without a ladder, but the ladder is so much easier.
Trisha

I use the ladder also

Post by Trisha »

I, too, bought new in 2005 and I use the ladder. I stow it up in the cabover when I'm driving or during the day, and just pull it down at night.

Maybe it's the angle, or the design, but it is a very easy climb. I usually only have to step up the 3 bottom steps. Then it's kind of a 'rolling" motion to just climb in. Getting out isn't hard either. I have a physical 'challenge' that makes some climbing activities very hard for me, and I don't much care for heights either, and neither of these things makes it hard for me. If I can't make it up those 3 steps, I really doubt I would feel safe with my strength for driving, either. It's not any harder than coming in the outside coach door.

I encourage you to try the ladder out at the store. Or in someone elses. It's just angled right, and you have the bunk right there on your side so it's very easy.

Good luck.

PatTrish
jjmcd

Re: ladders

Post by jjmcd »

Jean & Leroy wrote:We are planning to buy a
Born Free and to sleep on the top bunk. I noticed that one person built a step. Do most of you use the ladder or do you have other solutions?
The step that I built for our 2003 BornFree works well and also provides an extra storage area or convenient side table in case someone is sleeping on the slideout couch.If you want the dimensions ,you can e-mail me at jjmcd@frontiernet.net. It stores neatly beneath the table when traveling. Joe
Trisha

Re: ladders

Post by Trisha »

jjmcd wrote:
Jean & Leroy wrote:We are planning to buy a
The step that I built for our 2003 BornFree works well and also provides an extra storage area or convenient side table in case someone is sleeping on the slideout couch.If you want the dimensions ,you can e-mail me at jjmcd@frontiernet.net. It stores neatly beneath the table when traveling. Joe
Do you have a picture?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”