GPS UNITS

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jim Hofmann

GPS UNITS

Post by Jim Hofmann »

I am considering upgrading my GPS (getting a newer model). I remember that on the former web page that most of us used, there was a discoussion on the vertues of the 2610 and 2620 models. Now I see that they have a 2720 series. Also I noted the Que 3600.
Anyone out there with any strong opinions on one verus the other? Or is there something better out there?
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

See below site for all the info on GPS that you could want.

http://gpsinformation.net
Bill Ruh

GPS UNITS

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Jim,

There are many more choices than there were this spring or last year. Too many, IMO.

My garmin opinions:

2720: nicer screen than 26xx, spoken roads, less-functional interface, stand-alone unit (no pc planning and downloading), more expensive than 26xx.

2610 with large cf card: most functionality, pc planning and downloading.

2620: hard-drive cf card, 2610 with no pc planning and downloading.

c3xx: less-functional than 26xx for not that much less money.

i2/i3: very basic functionality (e.g. no panning the map, just zoom), limited transflash map storage, pc planning and downloading, cheap.

i5: very basic functionality (e.g. no panning the map, just zoom), but cheap for all us/canada.

nuvi: interface similar to 2720 in a smaller package plus other non-gps goodies, but more expensive than 2720.

72xx: similar to 2720 with bigger screen and price.

I haven't been following the pda-based units, or magellan or tomtom.

If you want nice features and are willing to spend a bit, I still like the 2610 with a large cf card. If you just want basic routing, the i2/i3/i5 is worth a look.
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

You've given lots of good info. Bill, as always. As posted before, I have the 2620 and wouldn't be without it. It's pricey but the Customer Service & quality of the unit is worth it. Use mine all the time....have no sense of direction and now at least when I go around the corner .... I don't get lost!
bechlumber

GPS

Post by bechlumber »

:D Before our 3 week trip to New Mexico & Texas in October, we bought a Garmin #2720 GPS. It worked great and was worth the money. We were surprised that it had all the farm and county roads and it even has many 4x4 roads that we have traveled and want to travel.
2002 24' Rear Bath 4x4 7.3 Diesel
Bornfree22bft

Post by Bornfree22bft »

Have the 2610 and love its versatility.
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Lots of great info. Thankyou all for your time and contrbutionss. I guess the next decision is up to Santa claus.
Jim
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

hi Jim -- I'm in Indio and don't have your E mail address -- could you E mail me so that I can get back to you -- thanks -- Bob Newby
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Bornfree22bft wrote:Have the 2610 and love its versatility.
Hi! I too have a BFT 22', and have been looking at all the GPS available, especially since the very horrible route AAA sent me to Branson for the Rally. I chose a way home myself. I drive with my dog and she doesn't read maps, so I think the voiced directions would be a great help to me. So far, I am leaning toward the 2620, as opposed to the new 2720, because of the card use. Is that useful to you? I would appreciate your comments, before investing.
Thanks, Mary Ann
Bill Ruh

2620 vs 2610

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Mary Ann,

The conventional wisdom in sci.geo.satellite-nav and this board is to get a 2610 and buy a 2 gigabyte solid-state compact flash. The 2620 comes with maps preloaded on a 2gig microdrive compact flash, which is a tiny hard disk. I haven't heard of any microdrive failures, but a car is a harsh environment and solid state seems a more bulletproof option. The disadvantage with the 2610 is that you need a computer with a dvd drive to download the maps, but you only need to do this once.

FWIW, www.gpsdiscount.com has refurbished 2610's for $500, which is a pretty good price. As for the flash, www.newegg.com has corsair 2gig compact flash for $95. I'm a satisfied customer of both companies, and in fact have a 2gig corsair cf in our 2610.
Trisha

just to mix up the works some

Post by Trisha »

I use Copilot Live 8 on my laptop. I've been happy for the most part so far, though I admit I haven't taken the time I should to use it properly.

Need to get out of this cold.
bcope01

No lump of coal in my Christmas stocking

Post by bcope01 »

I just purchased the Lowrance iWay 500C from www.gpsdiscount.com. They and other web retailers are selling it for under $650, shipping included. Add in the $100 rebate being offered by Lowrance until 1-31-06, and you're getting a $1000 GPS for a little over $500. Check out the features of the iWay 500C at www.lowrance.com.
Last edited by bcope01 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I used the included motorcycle handlebar RAM mount to install a Lowrance IWAY 500C in my 2004 Born Free Built for Two. After replacing the U-bolt that came with the mount with two 1 1/2 inch bolts of the same diameter, I through-bolted the Ram mount with the included long arm to the area just beneath the ash tray in the updated slimline engine console. I still have the windshield mount I use for Barb's Hyundai Santa Fe. I've included some pics of the install in the BF.
[/img]
Attachments
iWAY 500C 2004 Born Free E350 003a.jpg
iWAY 500C 2004 Born Free E350 003a.jpg (56.74 KiB) Viewed 14875 times
iWAY 500C 2004 Born Free E350 002a.jpg
iWAY 500C 2004 Born Free E350 002a.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 14875 times
iWAY 500C 2004 Born Free E350 007a.jpg
iWAY 500C 2004 Born Free E350 007a.jpg (55.48 KiB) Viewed 14875 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA