Tire Pressure Monitors

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jim Hofmann

Tire Pressure Monitors

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Christmas is rapidly approaching and I continue to think about getting a tire pressure monitor for my 26'RB and jeep wrangler toad. The "Pressue Pro looks like what I want, but I am concerned about the length of the warranty. After spending $690+/- I would think that a "one year" warranty was a little on the short side. I would hate the thought of (after, say, the second year) having to buy another one because it stopped working.
Are there many of you with this or competative units with experience as to the longevitity of these (and of course your feelings as to whether or not if you had it to do over would you still buy one?)
Jim
wrberry

Tire Pressure Monitors

Post by wrberry »

We are very pleased with our Doran"Pressure Pro" fitted to our 24ft RB. Having to press a button to read each individual tyre pressure in sequence is not ideal, however the process is relatively simple and the backup alarm system provides the all important "peace of mind". We cannot comment on longevity since the Pressure Pro is only 4 months old. Our concern on the warranty however is not so much the receiver unit but the individual tire sensor transmitters. The seals on these appear somewhat vulnerable and they are a non repairable item. It is necessary to remove them each time an individual tire's pressure is adjusted and they can be damaged by overtightening. We understand the factory will replace them on a per item basis, but of course there would be a cost.

Wayne & Susan Berry (NZ)
robert

Post by robert »

As a National Distributor for PressurePro, I want to correct some mis-information included in your post. You stated that the Sensors are non-repairable. As a matter of fact, they are repairable, but only at the factory. Once they are aged enough for the three year battery to exhaust itself, you will be able to order a replacement sensor. The present plan is for the company will send you a remanufactured sensor, and after you receive them, you will return your old sensors. At present, it is anticipated that the cost will be about $15.00 per sensor (new cost is $50. retail). The factory will open the sealed chamber, test the electonics, and replace the battery.

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a problem with the sealed parts becoming unsealed. Keep in mind that it the sensor is spinning around your wheels going 60 to 70 miles an hour. They are built to stand a lot of stress before they would crack.

You can extend the life of your sensor battery by removing the sensors when you are going to park the RV for a week or more. I have one customer who had a set stolen and he takes his off every night. The sensors only cause a battery drain when they are under pressure. In addition, if you place them in an emptry egg carton or a sealed plastic sandwich bag with the tire location indicated on the carton or on the bag, you will not have to reprogram the monitor the next time you reinstall the sensors.

I suppose it is possible to damage them by overtightening, but that would be true of anything that involves threads.

By the way, do you have your BF in NZ. I have been to your country about six times, and to Queenstown about three times. Really love it there. It would be pure heaven to have a BF there and be able to see the country. I have driven from the South Island to the North Island along the West Coast. I have been in more places in NZ and Austrailia then most natives. We are planning another trip back in a year or two.

Regards,

Bob
wrberry

Post by wrberry »

Bob,

Thanks very much for your informative reply. We will surely return the sensors when the batteries have expired.
We would certainly like to have our Bornfree in New Zealand, however the transportation and importation costs prohibit that, quite apart from the mechanical support issues and the fact that we drive on the opposite side of the road !! There are however some very good motor coaches available locally and it has been suggested to us that this would be a good way for Bornfree owners to see the country. Howard Norlin had queried us about such a Bornfree owners trip.

Wayne & Susan

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”