Wheel size

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

gwb36

Wheel size

Post by gwb36 »

I intend to buy a wheel and tire for a spare for our 2002 26RB on a E450 Ford chassis. Can anybody provide me with the correct definition of the wheel (diameter, rim width, bolt pattern, etc)?
George W Becker
2015 Born Free Triumph w/slide
Birmingham Alabama
liginbf

wheel size

Post by liginbf »

It should be 16x6 8-6.5, you can go to ford parts.com put in your vin# and it will give you the correct wheel size.Then you can shop on-line for the best price, its not a cheap wheel 110.00-140.00 for new, I didnt have any luck finding a used wheel in my area, you may want to try southwest wheel.com

Regards
Dennis
Rob

Post by Rob »

If you just carry the tire without the wheel you can have the emergency road service (Good Sam or Coach Net) remove the bad tire and mount the spare on the existing rim. This allows the spare the ability to replace a rear dual wheel.
liginbf

wheel size

Post by liginbf »

Rob,the wheel George needs can be used on either axle,front or rear,in or outside dual.I do not know about Good Sam,but with Coach Net,under emergency roadside asssistance-it will change a vehicles good mounted and inflated spare tire.The spare tire w/wheel weighs 72lbs, I put mine under the couch and I can change the tire myself if I have too.

Regards
Dennis
gwb36

Post by gwb36 »

I am now confused. I did carry an unmounted tire in my storage bay under the sofa and had to have it mounted when the tire lost most of its tread. I thought mounting it on a spare wheel could save $50 or so and the need/logistics of buying a tire on the road if needed. If one wheel is not compatible with all 3 positions (front, rear outer and rear inner) I surely need to know this. I hope Dennis is correct in stating that the wheels are the same.
George W Becker
Birmingham Alabama
gwb36

Post by gwb36 »

Excuse my faulty logic. All that is needed is a spare tire w/o rim as I had. Then emergency road service will mount it and I will be out just $50. And less dead weight to carry around.
George W Becker
Birmingham Alabama
liginbf

wheel size

Post by liginbf »

George, you can contact any Ford dealer or call Ford parts.com to confirm the use of the wheel on either axle. Also as long as you run the same size valve stem on all 6 wheels you can rotate your tires with no problems.

Regards
Dennis
whemme

Post by whemme »

All six wheels on Ford E350 and E450 based Born Free coaches are identical. A spare tire on a correct size wheel rim can be used on either the front or rear dual locations. The wheel rim size is 16.0 x 6. I will post the Ford P/N when I get a chance to get it off of my spare that I also store under the Flexsteel sofa.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bill Dodgen

Post by Bill Dodgen »

Was at a tire dealer yesterday having Borg brass valve stems installed and I inquired about the cost of a tire for a spare. Called Ford to get the price on a rim. Very proud of them. $250.00. As it turns out, a person overheard my conversation and said he had just traded his Ford Econoline van (E350) in for a Dodge and kept the Ford spare. He sold me the rim with a brand new tire mounted on it for $100.00. My point is that you should be able to do much better looking for a used rim and spare than by buying a new rim from a Ford dealer. Be careful with junk or salvage dealers, though, as their rims are often bent.
mike&linda

Post by mike&linda »

The wheels that are used on the E350 and E450 motorhome chassis are the type designed for dual rear wheels. On the front of your motorhome are adapters that enable use of these type of dual rear wheels on the front, so all wheel positions can use the same wheel. The E350 van is not configured for dual rear wheels, it uses a different wheel that can't be used on your motothome.
1990 26' RSB Diesel
Bill Dodgen

Post by Bill Dodgen »

Correction on my post above. It was a box truck that the spare came off, not the E350 van. I had made sure it was on an E350 chassis with dually tires, and it was. Just called the seller back and it was not a van, but the E350 straight truck. Sorry for any confusion...
whemme

Post by whemme »

Here is the information on the wheel rims used on the Ford E350 & E450 chassis for the Born Free motorcoaches.

I purchased a spare rim clear back in 1999 so that I could have a spare tire ready to install if I ever had a blow out. I keep the spare in front in the compartment under the Flexsteel sofa. I have never had to use the spare in 11 years - but that is OK.

My rim was made by Accuride and is the version with 8 vent/hand holes. The current Accuride P/N for that rim is P/N 29579 and the Ford P/N is F8UZ1015AA and is light gray in color.

Another similar rim that will fit but has 4 vent/hand holes is Accuride P/N 29580 and the Ford P/N is 8C2Z1015F and it also is light gray in color.

These two rims will work on Ford E350 & E450 chassis up thru model year 2007. For model year 2008 and later, the Ford P/N for the rim used is 8C2Z1015G, has 4 vent/hand holes, and is white in color rather than gray.

Check your current rims to see if they have 4 or 8 holes.

Costs for these three wheel rims as of July 15, 2010 I found by checking both with a local Ford dealer (List Price) and an online source (discounted Price). The online source I used was http://www.southwestfordparts.com. You may want to search online for other vendors.

Ford Part Number   List Price   Discounted Price
F8UZ1015AA          $246.27         $175.83
8C2Z1015F            $251.55         $179.61
8C2Z1015G           $251.92          $179.92

I was unsuccessful in trying to find any online vendors selling these wheel rims under the Accuride P/Ns.

You can download the complete 6-page Accuride Light Truck Tire catalog as a pdf file by clicking on the blue Download button in the right side of the attachment window.

With this information you can check rim prices online or with your favorite tire or Ford dealer.
Attachments
Accuride Light Truck Wheels.pdf
Download the complete 6-page Accuride Light Truck Wheel catalog as a pdf file by clicking on the blue Download button in the right side of this attachment window below the photo.
(708.21 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Accuride Ford E350 & E450 Wheels.png
Accuride Ford E350 & E450 Wheels.png (49.75 KiB) Viewed 18553 times
Last edited by whemme on Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jasper2222

Another Accupride number fits

Post by jasper2222 »

Bill,

I was little worried. I picked up a new "wheel" off the internet with the hopes of making it my spare tire for the BF. The wheel is an Accuride but the number is a 29943. I just double checked the web-site and the 29943 cross references you to the 29579. Anyway, just though I would put this out in case anyone else had a different number. You can look up the number in the index and then reference it a particular page etc. Hope I got it right.

thanks,

Richard

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”