Wi Fi and Home Network

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Charlotte,

Like many others here we've also used Verizon's voice service for our data requirements on the road. A cheap dial-up ISP like AOL and others available for under $10/mo work just fine. You will need to buy a pc card and cable to connect your PC to the cell phone. That's a one time $25-$30 expense. Verizon won't tell you any of this. If you call them they will try and upsell you a data service. Also, be sure to check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/ - lots of good advice in the archives.

I also posted a blurb about the Wilson Cellular Trucker antenna under the sattelite topic. It's about $65 and worth every penny - for voice and data.

We recently moved from San Jose to Oregon. While there we subscribed to Pacbell's DSL which gave us dial-in numbers to use on the road with our Verizon service. And, a satelite service could be used for tv on the road as well as home for a lot less than Comcast.

If we didn't need the land line and cable internet for work we'd probably have the Verizon voice only account, Earthlink dial ISP and DISH sattelite.

Just my $.02.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

I think what Charlotte is saying is that she has no ISP to call into if she uses her Verizon account unless she registers for Verizon data service. Her ISP is Comcast, as is ours, and since it is cable service, Comcast has no dial-up number. It's will be necessary for her to maintain a cheap dial-up service in order to reach the internet. Once connected, she can get her email from Comcast as web mail or surf the net at will.

While we prefer to find WiFi hotspots since they are faster, we have maintained the least expensive BellSouth account as a backup system. We also have Verizon and a cable to connect our cell phone to the laptop as described by Mel. When we can't find WiFi, we can connect through one of the many BellSouth local numbers, or, worst case, through their 800 roaming number. The only problem is the low transfer speed using the standard cell phone service
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Randy...Thanks for your reply...your suggestion to get a inexpensive additional plan is another option I'm considering. I think AARP has one available for around $10 a mo. which makes a lot more sense than the $65 that Verizon wants. But now that I have wi-fi figured out, I may delay ordering a second plan till just before I'm back on the road. But thanks for understanding what I was trying to convey as my situation here in Northern Cal. Doesn't make sense that 1/2 the state has different plans than the other half.....but that's what appears to be the case... Thanks again,
Char
jean

wireless

Post by jean »

I find if you ad a quickertech or similar antenna to your laptop it extends your range considerably...it attaches with velcro and plugs into your wireless card inside your computer...I never pay for wireless while traveling, my computer tells me when a connection is near, I use coffee shops etc or when staying in a park that has it I can usually connect from my site..the natenna was about 50 bucks and well worth it! I have an older Mac Pismo which works just great. :lol:

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”