Born Free vs. Lazy Daze

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Prevost use what they call molded fiber composite on their H series and stainless steel on the XL series. They also use stainless steel for the framing of their coaches.
Mel & Connie
whemme

Post by whemme »

I stand corrected on the type of metal used on the Prevost chassis based Class A motorcoaches.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

Guess I'm lucky that Virgil Dutton made the spare tire carrier for the BFT. I don't have to give up any storage space! He produced an AAA design coupled with excellent fabrication! Too bad he won't be making them anymore. :cry:
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We have friends who full time in their LD. If I were to full time, the interior room in the boxy LD would be very appealing. They had the rear set up as a living room/den with bookcases, sofa, TV, etc. They slept in the cabover. The dinette was really nice with a larger kitchen than the BF which would be great for full timing. It felt very homey with separation of spaces.

We "tour" in our BF and can spend months at a time on the road in comfort. But I would not want to live in it full time.

My hubby did not care for the interior fit and finish of the LD. He especially did not want the extra width to drive. I agree totally with him, and we made the right choice for us. We are very proud of our BF, the hard wood floors, the beautiful cherry cabinets, the obvious quality of our unit (8 years old and looks brand new). Nothing is worn, beat up or leaks. The repairs we've had are minor (cabinet hinge and window blind strings). We bought our unit used (which is how I got the beautiful cherry cabinets because I wouldn't have spent the extra bucks to buy the upgrade new!) It handles the road conditions well and is easy to drive long distances in one day.

Unlike us, our friends spend weeks and months at a time parked in one area. They love their interior room. Although they appreciate the quality in our BF, it simply would not have worked for their needs.

Test drive both units. Mentally move in to each one and see what fits your needs best. Then trust your instincts and pick your new home. Good luck!
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Wow Linda, haven't heard from you or Greg in some time. Glad to hear that you are still hitting the roads in your BF.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Andy Baird

Lazy Daze

Post by Andy Baird »

"Born Free coaches have the indisputable distinction of no fatalities ever, spanning nearly 40 years."

Lazy Daze has had no fatalities in 55 years. I've seen photos and/or talked with two owners who were involved in rollover accidents. In both cases the occupants were uninjured and the coach was drivable. (The LD factory will be happy to show you videotape of one such coach.) Lazy Daze coaches use multiple steel roll bars, similar to Born Frees. Both brands are exceptionally sturdy compared to most RVs on the market.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Both are, I think, the best class C coaches. I've been to the LD factory twice, but haven't been to the BF factory yet. I ended with a 23' rear kitchen BF. My feelings are the same as previous posters.

I think I liked the LD 23' floor plans better then the floor plans in the under 24' BF (bigger tanks, 450 chassis, etc.). To me the fit and finish in the BF I have is close to custom cabinetry - very nice and superior to the LD. It is "solid" coach all the way around. The BF is very drivable, although I only tested the LD coaches briefly. I also like the fact that body styles seldom change in either coach (although BF is more prone to that lately).

I work so my trips are usually road trips, moving almost every day. I'm also often in crowded areas and maneuverability and the narrower coach is nice for limited parking in drives and lots.

We could debate both for ever, but I don't see how a buyer of either could go wrong.
Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

having read al these posts. touring favors born free. extensive parked in one place favors lazy daze.

gerry
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

When I was looking for a used MH, I decided to buy whichever became available first, LD or BF. The LD I wanted was a 23.5 ft. front dinette in gray and white. Not easy to find that particular floor plan, much less in that color. I love the quality interior that BF provides, though, and am happy with it in general.

If I were to buy new I might be more inclined to buy a LD because:
1. California is closer than Iowa so getting work or remodels done would be easier.
2. Most everything on an LD is standard; with BF, things like awning, a/c, generator, etc., are options. LD is a better value, overall, IMHO.
3. I like the aluminum exterior/paint on the LD. They age really well. However, I don't like their new graphics! One can opt for the old paint job--which I prefer--but then the coach would be dated. Wouldn't matter to me but if I were to sell it that could be an issue.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Sam, as a former Foretravel owner I can certainly attest to the standards of excellence Foretravel has displayed over the years both in quality of product and customer service. The crew at Nacogdoches is wonderful! Since I have never been to the BF plant in Iowa nor to the LD plant in California, I am not in a position to compare. I was just basing my observations on what empirical evidence I have and noting the closer proximity of the LD plant.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”