Using a 3-G card in a laptop computer

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bill Wright

Post by Bill Wright »

Has anyone tried using an AT&T Aircard or equivalent as an alternative to campground WiFi?

I just purchased an AT&T USBConnect Mercury and need to know if it is a viable alternative to trying to find RV Parks with WIFI.

I like the idea of secure access to the internet, but is the 3-G network widespread enough to encompass most campgrounds.

It looks like the speed is considerably lower than my WIFI at home that runs at 54 Mbps. The 3-G network runs at 3.6Mbps here. My DSL runs at 100 MBps. Dial-up was about 9 Kbps. While the AT&T Edge Network running under 2-G was 237 Kbps. That is a significant speed variation.

I live in Houston. Our power came on Sunday afternoon, but phone service and DSL did not return until about Noon today. The 3-G network came up with the DSL. So I was left with dial-up only for four days.

Bill Wright
Blessed in Houston where most of my friends do not have power.
TLBlanchard

Post by TLBlanchard »

We use the Verizon air card and have for the past 2 years.
We are very satisfied with the coverage and speed, I am currently in Myrtle Beach SC and have speeds of 1200 down and 535 up, this is good enough for most purposes.
An external antenna will help in weak signal areas, we just came back from a 22 state trip and were only in about 5 or 6 places where we had no coverage.
We have ATT and Verizon cell service and usually if we had any signal on the cell (Verizon)we were able to use our card. A few places were the slower National Access but did allow e mail and a few reservations to be made.
All in all I think it is the way to go.
Tom Blanchard
Bill Wright

Post by Bill Wright »

Tom,

Thanks for the response. It looks like I am going to keep this thing. The software is quirky. Since Ike, my phone service at home which includes DSL has been up and down. I have a phone for a few hours, then it goes off. The 3G network is available when DSL is available. I have a second phone line that never gives any problem. So I can use dial-up on it.

The 2G Edge Network is allegedly faster than dial-up, but not much. The 3G is slower than DSL, but usable. If I can access it regularly when we are on the road with our BF, maybe it will be worth the $70 per month cost. I will feel better about the security as opposed to RV park WIFI. Some of the parks WIFI setups are also slow.

With Verizon is your hardware from Sierra? Is the software 3G_Watcher?
TLBlanchard

Post by TLBlanchard »

The "software" I use with my USB727 air card is supplied by Verizon "VZ Access manager". I think the air card is made for Verizon but I am not sure by whom... It says "Verizon" on it.
When not on the road I plug my 727 into a Kerocera KR2 wireless router, it is connected to my desk top with a ethernet cable.
The wife can then also access the net thru the wireless router, it works pretty good.
Go to "the 3 G store" and they have all the answers, their forum has a wealth of info and if you call they are very helpful.
I purchased my external antenna and accessories from them.
Tom Blanchard
Rick Huber

Post by Rick Huber »

We have been using a Verizon Aircard 595, with a Linksys router Model " WRT54G3G-VN for better than a year now. While the speed is not up to the cable modem speeds and the DSL speeds we have had at home in the past, it is a quite acceptable alternative, that we can use anywhere we can use our Verizon phone. As a matter of fact, our satisfaction has lead us to do away with all landline telephone service and cable modem service and rely fully on our Verizon cell phones and Verizon Aircard. With the router, we are both able to be "online" at the same time.
jlef123

3G network connections for laptop computers

Post by jlef123 »

Can anyone offer an update on this topic. Sprint is trying to sell me on getting a card for my laptop and desktop computer. They claim speeds as fast or faster than my current ATT landline DSL connection. I am planning on getting something to hookup to the internet with while on the road but wonder how good the various companies are compared to Sprint. They also are claiming that they are putting in 4G connections, which are significantly faster, around the country and that the card I obtain now will also work on the 4G network. They tell me that 3G speeds are 10X faster than DSL and 4G, 20X faster. Would a Verizon, ATT or ? card be better.
Thanks for your help.
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

I don't have the expertise to get involved in a discussion of the various systems, but I know that Consumers research gives Verizon the highest marks for coverage and overall service. We are not Verizon customers, just reporting.
ddpjep

3G Air Card

Post by ddpjep »

At our house I have the slowest (and cheapest) DSL wifi available. I also have a strong 3G connection to a cell phone tower that I can see from our family room window. The slowest DSL is still faster than the 3G connection.

I have a Verizon MyFi card that provides 3G broadband wifi for up to five users. I chose Verizon because it has by far the greatest 3G coverage across the United States.

Both Verizon and Sprint are working on 4G. I don't know about AT&T. I expect 4G will be twice as fast as the fastest DSL. I used to have faster DSL but cut back to save money when I was traveling most of the time. Then when I got home I found out that the slowest speed DSL was satisfactory for my needs.

Most campgrounds don't have satisfactory wifi service, so I rely on my 3G broadband cellular connection when traveling.

Dean
Hawkeye111

Using AT&T Tethering

Post by Hawkeye111 »

Bill, I travel a lot and am tired of trying to find a secure Wireless net (and for paying extra to get it). I have moved to a Blackberry on AT&T with their tethering software for unlimited access from anywhere they reach for a fixed fee that is quite low. If the 3G network is not available it just slows down. The system is reliable, easy to use and connect with and I am very pleased to stop living at the mercy of airport for fee and hotel for fee WIFI.

Jay
SteveS

Re: 3G Air Card

Post by SteveS »

>I have a Verizon MyFi card that provides 3G broadband wifi for up to five >users. I chose Verizon because it has by far the greatest 3G coverage >across the United States.

I also have a Verizon MiFi and I am 100% satisfied.

Steve
bookie71

Post by bookie71 »

We have the MiFi (ACS (Alaska Communications)) that uses the Verizon network. Used it all the way from Iowa to Wash and up to AK. There were a couple of places in Northern Canada that we couldn't use it, but were able to use many places where we couldn't use our AT & T cell phone. It has no roaming charges in US and Canada.
It can be used as a wireless for up to 5 (I think) or hooked up to the USB port.
we got it as it is supposed to be much more secure than the wireless at the parks.
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

Nobody has mentioned the alternative solution of purchasing an Apple iPad with wi-fi and 3G, paying $25 per month for the AT&T 3G data plan (which can be turned off and on when you don't need 3G or its' monthly expense) and having a choice of either connection method in a very portable device that can also Skype (free voice phone capability now, probably voice and wi-fi video with next generation with camera, in March 2011 or so).

The iPad can send and receive EMail, be used for word processing with good sized pop up onscreen keyboard (excellent Apple small wireless keyboard available as well but not necessary). The iPad can be used for internet browsing, photo frame, Netflix instant onscreen wi fi movie streaming (can be restreamed to larger TV with Apple "AirPlay" and Apple TV device), mp3 music player (just like the iPod, and can wirelessly stream music to your home media system with "AirPlay" as well). It can be used for touchscreen drawing, do simple movie editing, game playing, GPS, mapbook, road log, calander, and an excellent inside or outside dimable self lighted handheld EBook reader all in a 7.5x9.5"x.5" 1.6lb package (you can carry it around and use also outside your RV if you want). Costs $629. for the 16mb wi fi/3G model.

No folding two piece seperate hinged screen like a laptop, it's all one piece a beautiful color touchscreen on the front side and a slightly curved metal back. The iPad can also print wirelessly to a wireless printer. To me its a perfect RV solution with ten hours of battery and 12V/110V charging.

Oh, did I mention you can load charts for your boat or airplane? A great home device as well, online banking, data base work, Wikipedia, online shopping, recipes anyone? And it's an American product, assembled abroad of course! Check it out at www.apple.com.
Last edited by Peter Robinson on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Where the rubber hits the road is lF you can get a connection. I appreciate Peter's description of the benefits of the I-Pad, but others have complained of AT&T signal strength. A reliable, always on, connection is the Holy Grail.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
wxtoad

Using a 3G card in a laptop computer

Post by wxtoad »

Both at home and when on the road we use a Verizon Wireless 720 USB modem plugged into a Cradlepoint 1000 router. The router sets up a wifi network so that both DW and I can be online at the same time. In addition, we have a Wilson Truckers Cellular Antenna mounted on our RV's crank-up Winegard antenna and a Wilson cellular amplifier. We have great success with this set-up.
Steve

Post by Steve »

We also have Verizon and my wife has a DroidX that acts as a "hotspot" or router that will support up to 5 devices (IP addresses) that we use when we are not able to get a WiFi signal. We also have a Wilson antenna and amplifier that the DroidX uses and almost always get a good signal. I've tried other cellular providers and they just don't provide the coverage that Verizon has; at least in the West.
Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”