TV suggestions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

TV suggestions

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I am considering installing a 12 volt flat screen TV in my BF. At one time, talking with Kim at the factory, he indicated they were not satisfied with the 12 volt models they were then installing. I am looking for suggestions of a brand that has proven rugged and reliable. I'll think I have space for up to a 19 inch model.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Roger

Post by Roger »

See my post of 19 Jun 2009 for what I did. Search on Roger
1999 24RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

This is a direct link to Roger's post:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... highlight=
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Roger

Post by Roger »

I forgot to mention that this is an AC powered TV. I looked at all the
12 volt DC TV sets I could find on the web and found they were very
expensive and not rated highly. I have a small 300 watt inverter to
power the TV when shore power isn't available.

This TV also has a built-in DVD - CD player. It works well but channel
changing is slow compared to my Toshiba in the house.
1999 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thanks for the info Roger. I may change my mind, but I am looking for a 12 volt model. My current CRT TV /DVD is on a 300 watt inverter and I found that along with the digital converter it sometimes would blow a fuse or not have enough power to start. I think I have fixed this, but I am in the process of modernizing my BF. I've been considering having a larger inverter and/ or solar panels installed (note I say having installed -- I am not ready to take this on myself). With a larger inverter I could use it for a 120 volt TV. Even if I do this I would prefer a 12 volt model.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I have 120V Insignia (Best Buy) 17 inch LED TV which I ran successfully with el cheapo 300W inverter. Advantage of the LED rather than LCD or Plasma is that it only pulls in neighborhood of 30W. Also ran a 30-40W Directv converter. I did not use outlet with TV but a second 20 AMP 12V power outlet which was added some time ago. Best Buy also sells a 19 inch model. They are(were) $200 +/-.
Hope this helps in your search.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
lassen

Post by lassen »

bigdipper.....I second your recomendation of the Insignia (Best Buy) TV.
I have the 19" model ( an open box item ) @ Best Buy for $159.00 . It made the trip last summer to Alaska and back and have had no problems with it.

Dallas......I have ours on the Born Free Inverter circuit that the old Tv was on. The Insignia AC cord has an adapter brick that puts out 12v DC which is what the TV is. I have in the past read on some other post of someone using a 12v Radio Shack cord and plug direct into the coaches 12v system. I also have a Radio Shack 12v cord that I can use on my O2 Cool fan.

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Last summer I had the opportunity to speak face to face with Kim and the repair technician ( I think his name is Bill) at the BF factory. (I had a little problem with a tree stump) I was also wanting to mount a new digital TV in our 2002 RB. The factory is using Jensen TV's. According to Bill and Kim they see a lot of problems with the plastic backs of TV's mounted on the wall in the BF's cracking from the stress of over the road travel. The Jensen is the only TV that he is aware of that has a full metal back inside the plastic. I took apart the 20" Samsung that I had bought and sure enough there is nothing other than plastic and small metal speed nuts inbedded in the plastic to hold the TV on the mount. He also recommended putting a wall mount on the wall with a bolt and nut rather than a wood screw. Doing that in my situation involves removing the refrigerator. That is why BF charges $150 to install a TV. The Jensens IMHO are overpriced for what you get. My solution. I lay the new TV on the floor of the shower when traveling and when we stop for the night and want to watch it I put it on the shelf and hook it up with a push on connector. BF is possibly overbuilding the TV install, but that's the way the whole coach is built.
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

I have been real happy with Jensen speakers in several vehicles and my boat over many decades. However, I installed a Jensen MP3 stereo in my boat salon. I went through two units and three more face plates, with partial or total failures. Because of this, I don't have much confidence in their electronic equipment. I would like to hear that their equipment has improved to the quality level of their speakers. Until then, I would buy other brands. I installed Zenith digital TV converters with my Born Free Sony TVs, that does all I need for now. The little TV over the bed will run on 12 volts, the converters and the front TV will easily run off of a 1000 watt Xantrex inverter I installed.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Steve

Post by Steve »

I installed a Sony Bravia 19" LCD TV in our 2005 24RB two years ago and we have not had any problems with the mounting. I did a writeup for the coach modifications section: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=1689 you can read about it and draw your own conclusions. I also installed a 400w sine way inverter but the TV and Sat Dish draw less than 80W maximum.
Steve
FrankGRUN

Post by FrankGRUN »

I installed a NAXA NX-556 12V LCD HD/DVD flat screen TV system in my 1982 24' RB. Used a wall mount and with 0.250 inch clearance to the shelf. I used large diameter wood panel nuts to secure the lower two bolts, and thru bolts accessed in the cabinet over the fridge to secure the upper bolts. I then used a set of four plastic wedges with soft neoprene upper surface to lock the TV in the proper viewing position and preloading the wall mount. The wedges (two from the front and two from the rear) can be readily readjusted if the angle needs to be changed. The net effect of the TV being loaded against the wall mount is to eliminate any movement during travel. Without relative motion there is no additional vibrational stress applied to the unit. The mount on the rear of the TV is more than adequate for support without damage. It has only been mounted for 6 months, but no movement of the TV, the wedges or deformation of the cabinet have been observed.

The picture is clear and crisp. The DVD player performs perfectly and I have enjoyed the full set of the Lord of the Rings while snuggled up in the cabover bed, manipulating the remote control. Only had to service the unit when changing disks. The built-in stereo speakers are more than adequate to fill the Motorhome with clean crisp sound. There is a convenient headphone output if needed. There is a digital audio coax output if you need more vigorous audio capability such as adding a subwoofer or additional audio power. The DVD player accepts audio CDs for a relaxing background sound as needed. The TV will accept VGA computer video and it works well with our iPad, Mac Book Pro and iPods.

It also functions perfectly with the satellite receiver system as well as the over-the-air antenna setup. Finally, it operates on 1.2 amps (TV mode) and 1.8 amps (DVD mode) on the 12V direct input. There is no audio or video noise wnen operating the 120 V generator or running the system on line 120V through the converter panel. Frankly at $250 through ebay, I consider it a steal. Its obviously of Chinese manufacture, but every name brand TV and DVD system out there is manufactured by China, Korea or Malaysia!

My two cents. Your mileage may vary.
Frank and Paula
1982 BF 24' RB
wxtoad

12V TV

Post by wxtoad »

I installed a 15" Audiovox FPE1507DV with DVD player about three years ago, and we've been pleased with. Very sharp, vivid picture and the best sound that we've ever had in a TV in the RV. It has all sorts of connections on the back, so you can hook it up to the roof antenna using the coax connector and it also has AV inputs for connecting to your satellite receiver; that way you don't need to mess with a coax switch when you want to change from OTA to satellite, or vice-versa.

But as always, it's not perfect. The remote has lots of very small buttons that hard to see in dim light. The headphone jack is located on the back and is rather hard to access.

I run it off the 12V system using a 12V to 12V converter to ensure a steady 12V to the TV, no matter what the state of the batteries is.

Overall, we're pleased with it.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I enjoy reading all of these good comments, but..... :D
Attachments
3129307969_dcd291490d.jpg
3129307969_dcd291490d.jpg (146.52 KiB) Viewed 14505 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Ros4n4

Post by Ros4n4 »

I want to recommend the Viesonic brand of LCD TV. Visit their site which is viewsonic to see their LCD TV. There LCD TV is very durable and the display is very clear.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”