departure angle

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Buster

departure angle

Post by Buster »

Ed Newman told me that the departure angle of the 27 foot rear bed model is 6.5 degrees. That seems very small to me.
Has anyone had trouble with there rigs bottoming out?
Rollers only make the departure angle smaller.
Thanks
Buster
Oak Harbor, WA
Don Cannistraro

Departure angle

Post by Don Cannistraro »

Buster,
I had a problem with my 27RSB. I ended up installing 'super springs'. If I remember correctly that raised the rear end a little over 2". I think Born Free is now installing super springs as original equip and removing the air bags. I have the air bags also.

Good luck. If you want to talk over the phone don't hesitate
248-348-7279

don
golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

Like the other Don, I had some trouble with bottoming my 08 27RB until I put on super springs (although never a problem, since the rollers worked very well). But, I also have had very little problem since installing the super springs. However, any class C that has considerable coach beyond the back tires is going to have some bottoming issues when going from flat to a sudden incline.
ewagman

Re: departure angle

Post by ewagman »

Buster wrote:Ed Newman told me that the departure angle of the 27 foot rear bed model is 6.5 degrees. That seems very small to me.
Has anyone had trouble with there rigs bottoming out?
Rollers only make the departure angle smaller.
Thanks
Buster
Oak Harbor, WA
With my 26 RSB, I only drag on fairly steep transition surfaces. I keep my air bags at least inflated to 2/3 max pressure, and often carry an off road motorcycle on back. The drag roller wheels are an asset, and cushion the occasional contact with the road surface. I don't consider it an issue. A test drive should address your concerns. I launch a boat on steep ramps with no problems (except seeing the boat & trailer).

If you want to raise the motorhome rear slightly, you might consider using 235 x 85 tires, and gain over an inch at the rear axle. They have a higher weight carrying capacity, they are about a half inch wider and a few pounds heavier, and would have the effect of gearing you higher. The Tire Rack tables list 245 x 75 wide tires as a Ford E option, so clearance between the dual 235 tires should be OK, if my math is correct, since 245s are wider yet than the 235s. A tire expert should be consulted, of course.

My previous 23' Chevy G30 motorhome would drag much worse, I am surprised I never got billed for some of the gouges I put in the roads with that one.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Don Cannistraro

Departure angle

Post by Don Cannistraro »

Sam,
I had mine installed at Saginaw Truck & spring in Flint, Mi. As far as cost is concerned, I had the airbags adjusted since they had rotated some. My paper work is in the M/H, but. Memory tells me about $500 total. So I guess $400 is close. Flint is a long way from you, but I was really pleased with the place and the attention given.

don
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

The Super Spring are very easy to install. Most any RV shop can do it. Since I had them installed, the dragging problem has all but disappeared.

Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”