New Inverter - Advice/Ideas Needed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Our new whole house inverter (2Kw continouous / 4Kw Peak) has arrived and I need to figure out the best way to install it so that it's not powering the converter and where there is the least chance of conflict between the inverter and shore power or the generator. Are there any good websites showing options and safety devices available for tying in inverters?

Of particular interest to me: Does anyone have or know where I can find a detailed schematic/drawing of Born Free's AC layout. If someone has already done this I would be forever grateful for the information that can potentially same me from a weekend of standing on my head, crawling under the rig in the snow, pulling panels apart and buzzing wires. The drawings in the factory manual lack the detail needed to do this - or I'm missing some of them.

Also a couple more questions to those who may have done this:

- The inverter will be the 3rd set of wires tied directly to the batteries. I'm thinking of putting in some kind of bus bars for DC connections in the battery compartment so that only one set of wires is flexed when pulling out the battery tray for maintenance. This way subsequent connections can be made easily to the busses and the battery connectors don't get torqued around so much. Anyone done this? Where did you find parts and how did you approach the implementation?

- And, where have you located your inverter? The storage area under the front sofa is close to the battery compartment (i.e., short DC run / longer AC run and weather protected.) Will the fan noise and heat given off be objectionable to the person watching TV 18" above on the sofa? ...or is it better to locate the inverter near the converter and distribution panel in the rear of the coach (longer high amp DC run / short low amp AC run. Wiring exposed under the coach)?

- I'd like to avoid a separate 150 - 200A fuse/breaker in the inverter's DC line due to cost and the added resistance. However, if there is a bus bar configuration that includes a high amp safety safety fuse - it just might make sense. Where would you look for high amp busses with fusing closely integrated while keeping weight, size and cost reasonable?

All opinions and advice are welcome.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Mounted ours under couch nearest to sink (2002 RSB), short run to battery compartment (as you noted). Mounted unit on inverted metal grilling wok normally used in a BBQ unit (fairly heavy coated metal with lots of holes in it to allow for air circulation and heat dissipation). You can obtain heavy cable for your run to the battery compartment at a high-end car audio shop where you can also find high amp fuses/holders, and, in some cases, buss apparatus ~~ Can’t help you on the wiring, as we only installed a pure sine 400/800 unit for entertainment center and other entertainment equipment, and powered same via our own wiring. Our inverter has a built in switch to sense when shore power is available, which it then passes through ~~ when shore power is not available, the inverter turns itself on and supplies110 from the batteries ~~ Good luck with your installation.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”