Mor-Ryde Installation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

purdum

Mor-Ryde Installation

Post by purdum »

Some history. We tried to have Mor-Ryde installed on our '04 26RSB but it would not fit. Mike Butler suggested that we install parabolic springs and Bilstein shocks which we did. It improved the ride to "acceptable". When we ordered our new 2011 27RSB we tried to get Mor-Ryde installed during the building process but we couldn't get it to happen. Anyway, at Creede we made an appointment to have Mor-Ryde, Bilstein, and parabolic springs installed. Several days later Mike e-mailed that the parabolic springs cost had risen sharply ( Mor-ryde buys these springs) They are now $538.00 EACH. So we had only Mor-Ryde and the shocks installed. We took the worst roads we knew back to Pa. Results: Mor-Ryde and the shocks have taken the jolt and sharpness out of joints, bumps, and pot holes. IT does NOT ride like a Cadiliac or air-ride but is much improved. I had the Mor-Ryde brackets installed in the upper mount holes. My "super-springs" were hitting the gas tank fill pipe (All BF owners with super springs should check this) and this gave me two inches of clearance here. My rear bumper was 17 inches from the ground and is now 19 inches. Front bumper only went down half an inch. We did not drag once enroute home. In addition, Mike Butler told me that this would also make the unit drive better. Since new, the BF has wandered and been a chore to drive. It is now mostly gone. There is now a very slight sway. After a few miles it is no longer noticeable. I will install a larger rear sway bar. Was it worth it. YES. Total bill was $1667. I should have bit the bullet and had the parabolic springs installed and will probably have them installed this fall. All the above results were with towing a Jeep Wrangler. Hope this helps.
grross

Post by grross »

Thanks for the update. The run across I-80 to PA is clearly some of the worst highway in the US. Although I already have Parabolic springs/bilstein shocks, your positive comments on the mor-ryde system will result in me heading to Mor-ryde from PA next month.
2008 27' RBRE V-10
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Just how much aftermarket equipment is necessary to get a decent ride in these rather expensive motorhomes? :?: The steering for example: My mechanic thinks 'it's a Ford issue' but I've driven other coaches on the Ford chassis and didn't experience the steering quirks I have with the BF. I've gotten used to--or adapted to--its idiosyncrasies now but I'm thinking there is some kind of design flaw in the 24RB.
whemme

Post by whemme »

For those that are experiencing steering instability problems with there Ford E350/E450 based Born Free motorcoaches should have an experienced truck alignment shop make sure that your front end alignment is properly calibrated. From my 11 year experience with an E450 chassis, I can tell you that proper front end alignment can make a world of difference and how you coach handles.

And another common problem with Ford's twin I-beam front suspension is that without an accurate front end alignment, cupping of the inside edges of the front tires can be a problem. Cupping can quickly ruin the front tires. Because of this potential problem, I now have my front end realigned every 10,000 miles.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Following our first outing with our 2007 24RB, I was in awe of how the "driver" even managed to get the coach from Iowa to California. I had driven vehicles that "wandered" before, but nothing like our 24RB. I immediately took it to a Ford dealership where I was informed that they could find nothing wrong. I then took it to a tire/alignment shop where I was told the same thing. Finally, the 24RB ended up at a RV/Truck alignment shop in Redding, CA where shims were installed, which helped only marginally, a heavy duty rear sway bar was installed(which didn't help and was then removed) and finally a Safe-T-Plus steering device was installed. What a change. It doesn't drive like sports car, but it does behave quite nicely traveling down the road. An added plus, is that with the Safe-T-Plus mechanism up front, I no longer worry about losing control should we experience a blow out while traveling.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Steve W wrote:...... and finally a Safe-T-Plus steering device was installed. What a change. It doesn't drive like sports car, but it does behave quite nicely traveling down the road. An added plus, is that with the Safe-T-Plus mechanism up front, I no longer worry about losing control should we experience a blow out while traveling.
Ditto!!!

It is very effective against crosswinds. I "tested" it last spring in Northern Arizona with 70 MPH wind for about 280 miles.

Some extra load in the front makes a nicer ride as well.

Off topic: The awing unwind about 2 feet. Happily I had electrical ties to secure it back. Now they are always there while I am driving.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Good to know! I'll look into the Safe-T Plus! Of course, if it works, I'll have to learn to drive it all over again! :lol:

How much do they cost including installation?
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

The Safe-T-Plus steering (silver) mechanism was $450.00. Mounting kit $55.00. Labor $216.00 Considering the change it made in the way the BF handled, it was worth every penny. Two things to consider. One, those are 2007 prices. Second, we had the installation done at a shop which specialized in RVs and large trucks and they definitely knew what they were doing. Hope this helps.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Safe-T-Plus or similar item should be standard equipment!

Steve
lassen

Post by lassen »

Our coach is the 2005 24RB. After the initial 4000 miles with the coach loaded the way we travel had a front-end alignment at a truck alignment center in Sioux Falls.
Next was a trip to the Blue Ox factory at Pender, Ne. Had the Blue Ox TruCenter steering stabilizer installed.... $547.02 installed (Dec. 2004). It made an immediate difference in the handeling with the cross winds and passing trucks.
Replaced tires at 31000 and am now at 57000. The alignment hasn't been rechecked and neither set of tires have ever been rotated. And the best part is that both sets have worn evenly so am not about to mess with anything.

Jack........
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

In reviewing the Blue Ox website for the TruCenter product, it doesn't seem to show the Ford 6.8 V10 or refer to Class C at all. It only shows the Ford F-53 Class A chassis. Did they come up with something special for your situation or do they just not list the Class C product on their website?
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
lassen

Post by lassen »

Don't have an answer as to why they only list the F-53 chassis on the website. But I also see that part of the website is being reconstructed.

My model numbers are... steering control TC25135
bracket kit TC5802

And this model is not adjustable from inside the coach. I guess a quick phone call to the factory would clear things up.

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Ron, the parabolic springs certainly have gone up, when I had ours installed in August 2007 they were $382.00 each.

Steve W, I installed the Safe-T-Plus in April 2002 (about 90k miles ago) and have been pleased with it.

Mockturtle writes "Just how much aftermarket equipment is necessary to get a decent ride in these rather expensive motorhomes?" In addition to the above I also have the IPD (now RoadMaster) sway bars, Koni shocks, and the Banks Power Pack package with TransCommand and the jury is still out regarding the MorRyde RS system. I guess it all depends on just how far one wants to go to achieve the maximum ride/handling and torque from the Ford E series. Kinda brings to mind the "Boys and their Toys" saying.
Mel & Connie
jeleuen

Post by jeleuen »

My comments are on the Mor-Ryde which we had installed on Aug 1st. But this is related to two other topics related to the E450 springs and a hard ride. Mor-Ryde is a rubber shear spring which mounts between the frame and the back of the axle spring. It raised the back of the coach at least two inches, similar to Ron Purdum. If you have it done, be sure to tell the manager you want it mounted in the top hole.
Our tail rarely dragged but now there is more clearance. The stance is just about right. I would rate it at a 30 % improvement. But this is a highly subjective evaluation. It is hard to tell exactly unless the coach is driven over the very same road.
After 7 motorhomes including a Newell bus with full air ride, I'm beginning to think there are some roads where it doesn't matter what the RV is, the road will try to tear it apart. Even with the air ride Newell on I-10 in Louisiana about 7 years ago, I detoured to another road because I-10 was pounding the coach.
But our Born Free has always handled well without a steering stabilizer or any other modification some of the posts have mentioned. It also does well in cross winds and with 18 wheeler turbulence. On the way to Creede, one of the roads was so rough (in CO) that the glass shelf in the fridge shattered. Sometimes the only thing one can do is slow down and even running with 75 lbs in the rear tires instead of 80 lbs makes a difference. With all motorhomes, the rear axle and differential is a very heavy unsprung weight, and impacts will be transmitted to the coach. I do recommend the Mor-Ryde to mitigate this problem.
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.
grross

Post by grross »

Where did you have them installed and if I may ask, what was the cost of labor and what was the cost of the RS. I have had estimates for labor ranging from 3.5 hours to 12 with a cost for the RS ranging from 750 to 895. PA was typically more costly than FL. Thanks for your post.
2008 27' RBRE V-10

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”