cab over sleeper conversion

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jrando

cab over sleeper conversion

Post by jrando »

my wife has asked me to remove the entertainment unit in our 26rsb and install the overhead bunk. Has anyone attemped this before? is there a kit avalible from born free or is it aftermarket?
thanks
john randolph
whemme

Post by whemme »

I think it would be best to take your Born Free coach to the factory in Humboldt, IA to have this coversion work done
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

If you are handy with tools & wood working, I don't see why you couldn't do this yourself. You will need to cut some pieces of 3/4" plywood to make the floor of the bed between the driver & passenger seats.

You can go to a "foam products" place and they can custom cut a foam mattress to fit. You will need to be able to use a sewing machine to make a cover for the mattress.

I goggled "foam products Miami" and found a place in Pompano Beach for the mattress. There may be others closer.

http://www.nationalfoamproducts.com/
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Another source for a mattress would be the Zeno Mattress Mfg. Co. Inc. in Fort Lauderdale (www.zenomattress.com). However I would first suggest that you contact Kim at the Born Free factory to see what he suggests. Perhaps they can make you up the mattress which has a plywood base and ship it to you. The advantage to that is perhaps they still have matching fabric for your unit or they have a suitable alternate. If you need to see how the factory configured the overhead bed feel free to contact me as my Motorhome has one and I'm not far from you.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

jrando,

Back in the first months of this year I provided photos of my 26RSB overhead bunk to a BF owner in Ft. Walton Beach. He eventually decided to have the factory make the conversion. If you like I can e-mail my photos to you and/or I can contact the Ft. Walton Beach owner and determine if he will contact you.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jrando

cab over conversion

Post by jrando »

thanks for all the replies, I am thinking at this point to put it off untill I am ready to make the trip to the factory and have them do it
jeleuen

Post by jeleuen »

We converted our cabover entertainment to a sleeper. Seems a better use of the space. I removed the partition and tv accessories and the railings so the area was basically stripped. A simple job. The factory proprietary mattress is $1600 so that was a real cost. The ladder is $400. We did not install a curtain. The factory mounted a flat TV at the side entry over the closet. Worked out very well but does cost a few $$$. However, the mattress does take some getting used to, it is rather hard and the plywood feels like a bump. Still happy with the decision.
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.
4running

Re: cab over sleeper conversion

Post by 4running »

Bump
Last edited by 4running on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveLombardi

Post by SteveLombardi »

The front nose of a Born Free is a big single piece of fiberglass and has no fasteners protruding from the inside to outside. It would be a bad idea to put any kind of hole through the shell as it would cause leaks. My BF has a bed so I cannot say for certain how the cabinets are mounted. From what I've seen in other BF's over the years, it appears they are held in completely from the interior. In fact when looking into the open doors of the cabinets the interior space is the same carpeted finish as mine with the overhead bed. I think once the cabinet faces are removed your biggest remaining challenge would be to build the bed structure. Mine has about 4 inches of foam covering the entire overhead cap. You'll need to use 3/4" plywood to cut a curved piece to fill in the open area in the center. I've pretty much rebuilt my overhead bed to improve things so if you need more ideas I can share them with you. Good Luck.
2012 25RB
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

This article in Coach Modifications about converting to twin beds may give you some insight:
https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... =14&t=1550
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
4running

Post by 4running »

Just to be clear the article is adding a larger bed to an RV that already has a bed?

Does the BF entertainment center have a single bed like a Bogfoot rv does that pulls out? I guess I did not notice that if it does have a single bed............
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

The article shows how to convert the existing overhead queen sized bed into two overhead twin sized beds. It will require a bit more work to convert the entertainment center into a bed.
Here's a couple pictures of the entertainment center in a 2004:

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
4running

Post by 4running »

Tom,

Thanks for the clarity, I now understand.

BTW, I recently moved from the TC area to Fayetteville. Good to see there are some Minnesotans on the board!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”