fuel mileage

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dan Gilmore

fuel mileage

Post by Dan Gilmore »

I am not a BF owner but am considering becomng one. What kind of mileage does a 22 or 24 unit get?
whemme

Post by whemme »

Dan,

You know this is a hard to answer question because you did not give any useful information like how fast you drive and whether or not you intend to pull a toad. Also, are you talking about V10 gas power or a Power Stroke diesel?

I have a 2002 V10 26' Rear Side Bed coach with the V10 305 HP engine that I have keep accurate miles records on for 6 years. My long term average pulling a 3400 lb toad at 63 mph has been 8.5 mpg. If I don't pull the toad then the mileage increases to 9.0 mpg.

A 22' or 24' Born Free should get somewhat better mileage since they will be lighter in weight.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

I have a 2005 26' RSB with the V10 I purchased in May 2011. I have logged about 6000 miles and kept a detailed log of the mileage. I drive at about 58-60mph and have averaged a little under 9mpg. I do not tow a car.

The newer coaches may get a little better mileage, maybe 1/2 to 1 MPG better.

I doubt this mileage is unique to the BF. It is hard to squeeze out much better mileage from a 10 cylinder engine with a 4.56 rear axle ratio. As stated above the 22' models on the E-350 chassis probably get a little better mileage.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I get between 9 and 10 mpg in my 24RB.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I get between 11-13 in my BFT at 62 mph.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

We fairly consistently were able to get 10.5 mpg with our 2005 22' BFT w/o large cabover. It has the V10 gas engine. In a previous 2003 21' Chinook with the same chassis and engine we obtained the same milage. I did notice that with higher tire pressures in the BF the milage seemed to improve. Once we saw 11 mpg. We drive at the speed limits.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

As Bill says, the variables are almost too numerous to mention, i.e., speed, towing, tire pressure, etc. That said, we have a 2007 24RB with a 2,400lb toad. Tire pressure is 65lbs in front, 70lbs in the rear duals. Loaded wt is approx 11,300lbs. We drive 58 to 59 mph and consistently use the cruise control. We have had as high as 9.5 and as low as 8.2. I just recently increased the tire pressure 5lbs all around and hope to see a slight increase.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dan Gilmore

Post by Dan Gilmore »

Thanks for all the information. Mileage is not too different from Class A diesel with which I have experience. Any special livability differences between the BF 22 and 24 would also be appreciated. At this point I am favoring the side entrance 22.[/list]
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

The only mileage figure which is meaningful, in my opinion, is when the figure comes from tracking all the fuel used by the vehicle for 5,000 or more miles. This averages out all the variables caused by head winds, tail winds, hot weather, cold weather, level ground, mountain driving, and so forth. There are also the occasions when filling the tank, the vehicle may be somewhat unlevel, and not as much fuel can be pumped into the tank as when it is level.
lafons

Post by lafons »

On a recent Alaska trip of 15,000 miles we averaged 10.25. This was not taking it easy either. On interstate we ran the speed limit plus or - 3 to 4 mph. Our coach is a 26'rsb well broken in with 80000 miles.On this trip we were loaded a tad over the coach gross recommend limit which is very easy to do. Around home we get right around 10 consistently . I love the v10.
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
liginbf

Post by liginbf »

With 7k miles on 2010 22RSK range 9.2 to 9.8
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

Yes, there is a significant livability difference between the 22 Rear Door and 22Rear Side Kitchen (side door) and between the 22s and the 24. The bath in the 24 SD and 22 RSK has a showerstall while the 22 Rear Door has a wet bath (shower and toilet sharing same undivided space). A seperate shower (24 SD or 22 RSK) is the better setup for a shower if you really intend to use the shower. The down side is that with the 22 RSK you can't have twin incline beds as in the 22 Rear Door which provides much more confortable sleeping than trying to sleep two to a pull out sofa or have one person climb up and in and out of a cabover as in the sleeping cabover option of the 22RSK with sofabed and the sleeping cabover of the 24 with sofabed. Sleeping space and comfort are important while traveling and a one side access sofabed can be crowded and restrictive for two people. Personal space can be impotant in a small vehicle like this so having the twins is great for sleeping space as well as sitting and reclining. The 22 RD also had a sleeping cabover option (like most 22RSKs) available in some years even with twin beds or with a sofabed and captains chairs and pocket table or a sofabed and dinette bed option. Dinettes are often pretty cramped and oriented to one seating position only. I don't think that any of the 22' models are actually designed to carry more than two people (no seat belts in the rear). There are a few 24 twin beds out there but that's custom so there are not many and they may not have inside/outside storage under each twin as does the 22 RD. The 22 RSK loses much undersofa (underbed) storage because of restrictions under the sofabed (not a factor on the 22RD twins) and of course with only one bed downstairs there is no underbed storage on the otherside in the 22RSK or normal 24. Swivel captains chairs and pocket table are however a great resource as in the 22 RSK with sofabed and standard 24 SD with sofabed, but you can't have twin beds then. The big cabover (22 cabover sleeper or 24) covers part of the view upwards out the front window and creates a more massive and heavier coach whereas the 22 RD twin bed with short cap (storage/entertainment) is more streamlined and smaller appearing (a factor in home or on street storage?). Visibility and openess for inside living is best in the 22 RD with both big side windows and a view down the lenth of the coach and out the screened back door. Two feet more as in the 24 can make a difference in parking (as on city streets) and using without a tow car so the 22 is more easily managed than the 24 in those museum/visitor center/mall/restraurant/city street parking/turnout/etc. situations). But the 24 does have more space (most noticeable in that bathroom and shower stall). After many trips some of two months or more w/o tow car in the US, incl. Alaska, some cross US and also travel in Mexico we prefer the 22 BFT Rear Door with its two incline twins, a short front cap with storage (no large sleeping cabover-it's not needed), and the huge inside/outside access underbed storage spaces one on each side where we kept two folding bikes, four folding chairs, a 2'x4' folding table, beach umbrellas, and other things. Very livable (except for the cramped wet bath/shower). We could and did go and park and explore anywhere we wanted. If only that 22 BFT Rear Door had a non-wetbath type shower stall and BF still made the swing/swivel table with improvemens it would be perfect! You'll love the Born Free, we certainly have!
Last edited by Peter Robinson on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:18 am, edited 16 times in total.
gwb36

Post by gwb36 »

2003 26' V10 65-70 psi all tires
Last 9000 miles - not towing - 9.6mpg $23.97/100 miles
George W Becker
2015 Born Free Triumph w/slide
Birmingham Alabama
liginbf

Post by liginbf »

Dan, I think total number of occupants (kids,grand kids,pets) to be a big factor,also type of trips (days,weeks etc..).The holding tanks and even fuel range differ between 22 and 24. We went from a 26RB to 22RSK and for 2 people it works fine, again just 2 people. One extra person some times is a stretch, and that brings out 2nd meaning of RV-ruined vacation.We found the 22RSK to be a good choice for us.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”