TV Antenna vs Satellite Dish

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

TV Antenna vs Satellite Dish

Post by wjhgolf »

I have just installed the Jack antenna and expect decent reception -with a new flat screen TV - going on our first trip with it in a week. We have cable TV at home, so right now Dish or Direct is not an option - to combine with our home system. However, if our Jack doesn't work that well, I may consider switching at home and in the Born Free. Does anyone care to compare or shed some light on the advantages/disadvantages either way? Thanks!
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

If you go with a satellite dish, don't get a dome. Go with Wineguard Traveler, or something similar.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Also visit some RV Forums and do a search for "satellite" or "dish" a read what other RV'ers have to say.

www.rvnetwork.com is a good forum for info. There are others around.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

We have been using Direct TV both at home and in the coach for many years. In the coach we have the TracStar SV360 in motion system which has worked without problems for seven years. For us, the in motion system advantage is that the passenger can watch tv while we are driving, especially nice if you are a big sports fan and don't want to miss a big game, tennis match or NASCAR race.
Mel & Connie
Steve

Post by Steve »

We are using a Moto-Sat & Dish Network, you can see the install I did here: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... .php?t=493

It has been working fine for the past 6 years.

Steve
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Steve,

That is one great write up! I am going to be installing a Sat Dish in the next month or so and will use it as a guide.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Here's another project you can do since you're going to be working on the roof: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... c19c2013b2
This is replacing the Delta antenna with a Winegard Batwing.

Steve
wjhgolf

Jack Antenna

Post by wjhgolf »

I actually had a Jack installed last fall, which worked much better than the Delta - I went with the Jack since that is what Born Free is now installing on new units.
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

When we got our satellite program, the man told us that because Direct TV had its birds up higher in the sky we would get less interference from the trees that interfered with the horizon.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Here is a link that discusses DirecTV's and Dish's satellite locations.

http://dish-cable.com/DishNetwork_vs_DirecTV.htm
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”