Waxing the cabover front

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mockturtle

Waxing the cabover front

Post by mockturtle »

I have tried just about everything and nothing works satisfactorily. I cannot reach it by ladder nor by the roof. The only method I've found is to use a telescoping window cleaner [sponge part] and wrap it in microfiber towel to polish. Needless to say, I can't get sufficient leverage to do a good job. :cry: Suggestions? [Short of standing in the engine compartment].
Brent

Post by Brent »

Well, not sure I would recommend this - but I use a step ladder, put a thick towel on the base of the window and the area between the hood and the window and put one foot on each. Is it stable or safe - not really but it has been effective.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

I use the scheme of Bill Hemme posted in the modifications section at:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... .php?t=496

Works pretty well.
Last edited by tomdclark on Fri May 11, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

They seem to be currently unavailable. Good design. Not sure I want to spend that much for another ladder, though.

Might be possible to rent such a thing, though....after all, I only need it once or twice a year.

The scaffolds are something that might work but I don't have any place to store concrete blocks and they would have to be hauled back and forth to the storage area [HOA--can't park the RV at the house and it wouldn't be level enough even if I could].
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Don't wax it. I'm not being facetious. Just keep it clean and it will last as long and look almost as good as if it were waxed. I thought long and hard about waxing my BF and concluded it is just too much effort for so little reward.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Well, I don't wax it just for the appearance. It makes the bugs wash off easier. I wish the coach looked as good as the cab! It looks brand new, even when not waxed!
jerseypete

waxing the cabover front

Post by jerseypete »

I also have Hemme's ladder, haha and blocks. Its actually fun if you can work out the details.
However, now I get the whole coach washed and lightly waxed, plus, also my cycle trailer that I tow upon occasion, for the grand total of $300 for both.
Twice a year.
Lot of money? You betcha. Worth it? To me, you also betcha again.
I am not related to you know who, :D
jerseypete
bcope01

Re: waxing the cabover front

Post by bcope01 »

jerseypete wrote:...You betcha....also betcha again.....not related.....
I love that gal. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
mockturtle

Re: waxing the cabover front

Post by mockturtle »

bcope01 wrote:
jerseypete wrote:...You betcha....also betcha again.....not related.....
I love that gal. :D

Bill
Me too! [I assume you're referring to S.P.?]
whemme

Post by whemme »

mockturtle,

For some reason, the ClimbTek CT416 articulating ladder seems to be no longer available.

A very similar articulating ladder that I have discovered is the Keller KKL-16 articulating ladder which is available from Menards at a current price of $189. Click on the following website link to view that product: http://www.menards.com/main/paint/ladde ... 351353.htm.

Please note however that the KKL-16 ladder has a load rating of 250 lbs whereas the CT416 was rated at 300 lbs.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Well, I don't have to worry about the load rating :D. I've finished the job for now so I'll look into it before the next waxing. Thanks again, Bill!
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I also have one of those 'transfomer' ladders like Bill's and have used it a few times to reach the front of the cabover. It works very well for this.

However, for the last 4-5 years we've been using a truck wash down by Cottonwood, CA just off I5. For ~$30 we get it washed and get the acrylic coating. I haven't noticed any problems with oxidation/chalking or build-up. But the BF is garaged now when we're not on the road so it doesn't get a whole lot of sun anymore.

We live up over 4000' which means we get about 4X the UV you get at sea level. The first 3 years the BF was parked outside and if I didn't wax twice a year the finish started to oxidize. YMMV.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Hike

Post by Hike »

When I was able to wash my BF regularly, I used a wash and wax product and I just hand waxed the hood and front facing lower parts. The top looked great and bugs washed off easily with a telescoping brush.

For the last 3 years though, I was not near my BF which was parked at my brother's place while I cared for my Mother. When I hit the road again this year the top was oxidized and looked very dull. I dreaded the thought of waxing it and ended up having David Petersen at Humboldt Auto Center wax it. He did an awesome job for $250 and saved me a lot of work. It looks like a new coach again.

My coach looks good and is :D again!
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

That's great, Dorothy! I suppose there are some places around here that would do that. I suspect it would cost a lot more than $250, though! Next time I'll try to scout one out. Did they use electric buffers? What kind of polish and wax did they use?

PS: After seeing your sig, I decided to add my kayak to my signature, too. :)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”