need advice on awning

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jdarryl

need advice on awning

Post by jdarryl »

We are purchasing a used BF 26 RB and I would like to have an awning installed. Does anyone have suggestions as to what type to put on that would best suit this RV?

Thanks!

This is such a great resource!!
xmariner

Post by xmariner »

Jdarryl,

As with all things - it's a matter of personal preferrence. My favorite awning is the manually operated type (A&E 8000 series or Care Free). Steer clear of box awnings - much too delicate and hard to care for. I've never owned an automatic awning but a few friends have them and each has had problems.

I was speaking with one of Born Free's sales reps at a recent RV show and the topic of awnings came up. The factory was sending him units with automatic models installed - after having to service a few he asked them to install the manual models as they ended up replacing them anyway.

Keep it basic - go manual.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi -- I have an 26 RB and put on my own awnings -- I suggest that you consider window awnings on each of the windows in the living area and a shorter awning at the rear over the door pluss some on each side- mine is about 10 ft. long -- this way you can use the window awnings with ease without pulling out a big long awning that takes time and effort -- the window awnings are easy and quick to put up and down -- Bob Newby
jdarryl

manual and smaller awnings

Post by jdarryl »

Thanks for the input I was definitely thinking manual myself.

Bob you mention smaller awnings, do you have any suggestions as to make or pictures of your RV?
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi -- my awnings are A&E -- the big awning is 10 feet long -- the window awnings cover the large window on the curb side and the drivers side covers both the large window and the kitchen window -- they all have the metal covers - I recomend metal covers -- they were easy to install but hearagain I have a garage large enough to house the Born free and it allowed for instalation -- I bought them thru Camping World -- if you want they should be able to install them -- I plan to be at the home comming at the factory if you are there you could see them -- by the way my door is at the side rear -- if yours is the infront of the rear wheels I still think there is room to do what I did --I sure enjoy my small awning -- Bob N
jdarryl

diesel power stroke

Post by jdarryl »

Thank you Bob and Sam appreciate the feedback and will keep up the research.

Sam I just purchased a 2001 26' RB7.3 powerstroke and wonder do you have some tips on the care of the diesel? What would you say are the most important aspects of mintanence and upkeep of a diesel?
jdarryl

diesel power stroke

Post by jdarryl »

Wow! Thank you Sam. I feel very comfortable with doing my own oil changes, but sounds like it would take up quite a bit of storage to have these things on hand.

I'll be able to set up a schedule based on your recommendations.
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Sam

The only thing you need to look into is the air K&N filter. If you have turbo boast indicators you will surpirsed how much more efficeint these filters are. I replaced them on every diesel I have owned after seeing the results myself as well as other people. I have them insttalled today on on my gas vehicles and had one installed on the Born Free we just sold.
Look into this as the air filter never has to be replaced and can be cleaned. Here in the Pan Handle that is very important with all the dust and sand.
Get the information on these filters and view all the diesel sites and you will see they are a must just like Bilstean and Koni shorks.

Don USN RET

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”