2013 BF 27RSB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dan Gilmore

2013 BF 27RSB

Post by Dan Gilmore »

I previously posted a query about MPG for a 24 BF and told everyone that I was a prospective BF owner. Well I now have a 27RSB on order and would like to hear advice from some of you experienced owners not just about MPG but any other informantion you think might be helpful. I have become convinced that BF is a really good and well built coach. I am not new to motorhomes, having owned three class A's. Thanks in advance for any information you provide.

I have read all the posts concerning MPG. Other info is really what I am seeking. If any owners have installed Banks Power equipment, I would welcome their experiences with Banks. Thanks again.
Last edited by Dan Gilmore on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Hey Dan, there is already a topic titled Gas Mileage with Toad on this forum that you should read concerning gas mileage.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dan Gilmore

Post by Dan Gilmore »

I suppose since there have been no responses to the Banks question that very few if any BF owners use Banks equipment and therefore I will assume there is no advantage to such stuff. OK then how about steering stabilizers and anti-sway aftermarket equipment - do any of you replace the factory anti-sway or install Safety-Plus stabilizers? If so what have been the benefits?
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Dan, Dont go out and buy stuff right away. Wait until you have taken a trip or two to see how your 27' handles. Can you believe this, I have a 96 RSB with over 80k miles and runs and handles fine with 3rd party sway bars or stabilizers. Make those decisions after you put some mileage on the RV. I think you will find the handling of a new BF to be just super.
mquade

Add Ons

Post by mquade »

FWIW, we have a 2008 22' BF. We installed heavier sway bars, front and back and it made a significant difference. We hardly notice a truck passing us now. Its sometimes surprises us!
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Dan, I made a typo. my 96rsb handles fine without any 3rd party sway bars or other additions. Ask the factory for guideance.
whemme

Post by whemme »

I agree with William Higbie. Drive your Born Free coach for awhile before deciding you need 3rd party suspension modifications. The only suspension modifications I have on my 2002 BF 26' RSB coach is a set of Bilstein shocks. I have no 3rd party add-on sway bars or steering stabilizers. If you are not happy with the way it handles on the highway, first thing to do is to have an experienced truck alignment shop that is familiar with the twin I-beam front suspension on the Ford E350/E450 chassis to check alignment and adjust if necessary.

I recommend that front end alignment be checked every 10,000 miles to prevent inside cupping of your front tires if alignment strays too far off over time and mileage.

I am well satisfied with how my BF handles on the road.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

My 2000 24RB took some getting used to after buying it in 2009 but, after discussing some of the steering/handling 'issues' with my mechanic, I have come to understand that most of these are Ford issues, not BF issues and now that I've driven it over 6K miles, I've become accustomed to its quirks.
CANDE

Post by CANDE »

Our experience with a Banks Power Pack Kit on our 2008 24' RB is as follows:

We were getting 10 MPG not towing. When we started towing a Smart Car (weighs 1800#) it dropped to 9 mpg. We usually cruise at 55 MPH. We purchased and had a Banks Power Pack kit installed at the headquarters of Banks in Pomona, CA. Our mileage went back to 10 mpg. The salesperson there said we would experience a 1 mpg increase, but he said it was doubtful because we would use the extra power. We achieved both.

We have a set of VIP gauges on our BF (readings: Outside temp., oil pressure, oil temp., coolant temp., transmission temp. into cooler and out of cooler, batttery voltage). After installing the Banks Kit, the oil temp and engine temps dropped from their highs when climbing grades such as the grapevine (Bakersfield grade) on Hwy 5 in CA. We were able to use on gear higher in the transmission. This was due to the improved exhaust (headers) management and better air intake and transmission management.

Overall, we are satisfied that it is well worth the money spent.

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have had Banks installed on a 1995 Class A on a Ford chassis. Very satisfied with the results.
Wondering what the approx cost would be to do that to my 2003 24RB.

Rob and Joan
2003 24RB
CANDE

Post by CANDE »

In February 2010, we paid $3,244.88 for the Banks Kit and installation.

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Having installed the Banks Power Pack back in 2002 and also having the VIP Sensitor gauges I also found the performance increase as mentioned by CANDE. However, using a air restriction gauge in the intake system I discovered that with the improved exhaust flow the V-10, when under a load, needed more air. My remedy was to install the air filter container that is supplied by Banks with their system for class A coaches which is larger in diameter and length.

My goal was horsepower and torque and the Banks system delivered as advertised. As for mileage, in my case, the increase was a gain of approximately 1/2 mpg.
Mel & Connie
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Mel, could you provide a link to the web site for the VIP guages you have?

Jim
CANDE

Post by CANDE »

Ed and Carol Freye
jeleuen

Post by jeleuen »

Some good suggestions on this topic. My 2002 26 RSB is completely stock except for installing MorRyde in rear. Born Free is our 7th rv, after four class A's plus diesel pusher. The handling to me is highly satisfactory. Each will evaluate whether the cost of Banks is worth the expense. Maybe it depends on how much of a "gearhead" a person is....
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”