Does anybody carry a firearm in their BF when they travel ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Does anybody carry a firearm in their BF when they travel ?

Post by stevek »

I was just curious, being new to RVing and all.
Should I consider buying some type of firearm,
just for safety,
just in case.

Any recommendations or opinions?

Then I was wondering about traveling State to State.
Plus maybe even into Canada.

Plus complying with the concealed weapons laws.

Note... I am not a gun type person.
Still have my 22 rifle when I was a kid.
Plus a 22 auto pistol from my grandfather.

Thanks..
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Sometimes. But there is some important legislation that has passed the House of Representatives called the Respecting States' Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act [S.2213], which would allow your home-issued CWP to be honored in most other states. Rather like a driver's license.
bill crommett

fire arms

Post by bill crommett »

The last I heard Canada does not take kindly to small arms, and the last time I crossed the frontier we were asked pointedly if we had any fire arms aboard.

I carry a can of Oven Cleaner which can be quite devastating if used with discretion. But it is not as fast nor as fatal as a fire arm.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Canada will absolutely not permit anyone to enter with a handgun. Hunting rifles and shotguns are a different story. I along with 3 others went on a moose hunting trip into Canada maybe 10 years ago and each of us had to declare our rifles at the border and pay a $75 permit per gun to enter. Don't know what the current cost would be.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Yes I do. The motto is "Born Free and well armed". (military humor - Ex-Army and all).

Each State has different rules and requirements. There are ways to consolidate concealed weapons permits for a few states, and others have completely different laws.

Canada has strict laws about weapons. You simply apply for the ability to travel across the border with your weapon, online. They do not turn you down, unless they have a reason.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 2-eng.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... g.html#_a5
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... .html#_a27

Map out your route and check with each State regarding their requirements, also check out the Canadian border crossing website for the weapon application. It really is easy to do, just takes a bit of effort to prepare properly.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

I had not heard of this bill, but it has my full support. I carry and did not go into canada this year because of their laws. I also stayed out of certain states that didn't reconize my CCP.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

iowaride

hand gun

Post by iowaride »

While at the Creede Rally, the wife of one of our club officers mistook our RV for her own and entered our RV. Good thing it was my RV and not Sam's.

Sharon
2002 RB 7.3 Powerstroke
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I don't. But I sleep pretty good with my 2 German Shepherd crime deterrent system on duty.

Anyone attempting to come into my motorhome would know what they were in store for and find an easier target.

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

If I was a burglar, I'd be breaking into Sharon's coach before Sam's.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I don't and won't. Does oliverpsmile carry? Watch out!
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
charlesbell

Does anyone carry a firearm in their B.F. when they travel?

Post by charlesbell »

I recently met a nice lady traveling in a Born Free coach at Anvil Campground in Williamsburg, Va. She was traveling alone as she said she had been doing for years since her husband passed away. She advised me she was "not afraid" nor was she worried about her safety. She impressed me with her fearlessness and her curiosity about "what's down the road." Did I say the lady shared her age with me? She's 81. And she's not afraid. I was impressed! What an example!
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Here is a link to additional discussion on this web site.

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ing+rifles
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Can't help it. Just gotta say something else! Will someone post a link to a story of a motor home invasion? And, if you can find one, will you please calculate how many times motor homes have NOT suffered such. I have been RVing for 36 years, well over 200,000 miles of travel, probably 400 nights on the road and have not had one threat of an invasion and have not heard one confirmed instance of one. Probably your odds of having a life threatening situation while traveling in you BF are about the same as winning the lottery.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Roger

Post by Roger »

I agree but people DO win the lottery! In my opinion it's far better to have a gun
and not need it than to need one and not have it.
1999 24RB
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Of course you need a gun in the united states to be safe. I would suggest a uzi (did I spell that right) or perhaps mount a machine gun on the top of your camper with an internal control system. Canadians dont seem to have a problem living without hand guns, but then Canada has a much lower crime rate than the good ole USA. Seems almost all industrialized nations do just fine without guns and they have lower violent crime rates. I dont have a gun and I dont feel unsafe when camping. It has been my observation that the people who feel unsafe invariably own guns.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”