WiFi Sources

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

Many Home Depots', Lowes' and that type of retailer provides wi-fi in their parking lots for their contractor customers.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

"Fast Internet" - how fast? 1, 2, 3 5 or more mega bytes/sec? It depends of the broadband capabilities of the connection and the current load. There are not many libraries in Utah and Nevada or readily available Hot-Spots. The speed is kind of a dream everywhere.

Your best bet is to verify the wi-fi availability at the campgrounds and hope for the best. It takes time but it works. The best time is after midnight.

Several technologically solutions are available, but they come with a price,

Personally, I had installed an omnidirectional antenna on the roof of my previous BF with a bridge/router, which helped me to use low level signals from non secured (shopping centers, libraries, hotels, RV parks etc) hot-spots. It was complex installation but it worked professionally for me.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
bookie71

Post by bookie71 »

But how safe are they for personal use, such as banking, etc.?
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

We use those wi-fi sites only for email or internet use. When we want to do banking, and want security, we find a Wells Fargo branch office and actually go into that office and use their computers.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Like some of the others, I use my iphone as a wireless hotspot for my laptop when traveling. That worked out so well that I now use the same system at home using my laptop (macbook) along with a 17" monitor and conventional keyboard.
Mel & Connie
Steve

Post by Steve »

Like Oliver I installed a Repeater & AP with an external omni directional antenna and it works fine and pulls in signals from up to 1 mile away (line of site), it is a lot more technical to install. If you just want some good free security options I suggest using DNS Crypt: https://www.opendns.com/technology/dnscrypt/ from Open DNS, while you are at it you can change your DNS settings and use the Open DNS. DNS Crypt encrypts all your queries (such as Yahoo.com) from your computer/notebook to the OpenDNS server stopping what they call "man in the middle" attacks.
You can also setup the basic security options in your browser and make sure SSL 3.0 is turned on and install the "hosts" file (free) email me if you want details.
All these suggestions will also work with a Mac, Bill Hemme can probably give you more details about Mac setups.
I just did a SIG/Presentation to our Sequim PC Users group today on how to install the settings in your computer titled Internet Security Basics and Beyond you can find the presentation here: https://spcugpcoutlaws.wordpress.com/th ... -security/ it is a 1.1Mb PDF download.

Steve

https://www.opendns.com/
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Hey, Steve, was it you I met heading east on 101 on Tuesday morning? Only BF I saw on my Olympic Peninsula loop this past week.

[sorry--not meaning to hijack the thread. If it wasn't Steve, was it anyone else here?]
Steve

Post by Steve »

No it wasn't us. There are 5 BF's out here on the Peninsula that I know about, what model/year did you see?
Steve
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Don't know, Steve. We just passed each other on 101. I was heading west and he was heading east. It was either a 24 or a 26, newer than mine as it didn't have a window in the cabover.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”