Wired vs. wireless rear view camera

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Linda Overman

Wired vs. wireless rear view camera

Post by Linda Overman »

Brand new member and just got a 2006 BF 26RB and drove it without a rearview camera from Tampa to Dallas. Not too bad if I leave the bathroom door open so I can see out the window with the fish eye thing on it!

Only problem is in backing, if I am by myself--no problem if someone is with me to help.

Does everyone have a rear view camera? And I really want to get a good wireless one so I don't have to run the wires through the coach. Tadi Bros. has a good model that can be attached on top of back, bumper, or license plate. Monitor can be on rear view mirror or separate.

Any thoughts on all this? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
Hawkeye111

Jensen Backup Camera

Post by Hawkeye111 »

I have the factory installed Jensen audio/video system on my 2011 Born Free. I am most happy with all of the functions except the backup camera. It works well, but the picture on the screen is far too dim--- so when there is any sunlight coming in to blanket the screen, it makes it virtually worthless in the day time unless very cloudy--works fine in the evening and night times. I do like the positioning though. It is installed at the top of the unit giving good "above" view of the towing area, the hitch, and of the road for a reasonable width and depth.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Wireless is somewhat of a misnomer as you still have to run 12 volts DC
to power the camera. It's possible to run both the DC and video over the
same cable but I don't know if any of the units offer this feature. I don't
have a backup camera on my BF and am forced to get out and look before
I back.

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Linda, I installed a "License Plate backup Camera" (it is a License plate frame that has a camera) and ran the wire under the RV up to the Drivers side inside the cab. It plugs into my GARMIN GPS. I can turn on the camera and view it on the GPS screen whenever I want to see behind the RV.

It was really very simple and integrated easily into the GPS screen that I use as I travel.

There are many solutions out there for you to choose from.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
CANDE

wired vs wireless rear view camera system

Post by CANDE »

We are comtemplating installing a rear view camera system on our bf 24' RB. We would like to hear from someone who has a wired rear view camera system and someone who has a wireless rear view camera system so we can compare wired against wireless so far as interference, picture quality, etc.

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

It might be worth a call to the factory. Some manufacturers will run the wiring for certain options whether they are installed or not.

So all the wiring may be in place, you just have to know where it is.
CANDE

rear view camers

Post by CANDE »

We compared prices on a Voyager 7" Rear view camera systems. These are as follows"
Wired system $729.00
Labor 5 hours $90.00 - $450.00 for a total of $1,175.00 plus an additional wiring is needed.

Wireless Voyager 7" Rear view Camera System , we paid $699.00.
We installed the camera & monitor.

If you want any additional informatiaon, please feel free to contact us at
edwardfreye@att.net

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”