Generac RV generators

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Generac RV generators

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

We are having problems with our 8 year old Generac generator, which has been used a lot with no problem previously. It appears the issue is a failed switch above the driver's seat and when trying to find a replacement switch I have learned that Generac is phasing out of the RV generator business and some parts may not be available anymore from Generac ( like our needed part...). The good news is the Generac representative told me I can probably get this piece from a website that they use and recommend. My switch is available there!
The address is http://www.ordertree.com/
Perhaps this may be useful to some other owners.
Jennifer
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Thanks for the link Jennifer. :D

Can you describe the switch (name, part #, etc.) you were in need of for your Generac?

Thanks,

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Bill Per the repairman working on this generator, the Generac part number is 0H2779. It is called a Switch DPDT Rocker and sells for $61.50 on the website I mentioned. Unfortunately there is no photo for me to compare this to what I have.
Jennifer
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Thanks Jennifer. sounds like the On/Off switch for the generator.

Here are two more possible online sources for that part:

http://gen-parts.com/products-mainmenu- ... gory_id=18

http://www.m-and-d.com/GEN-0H2779.html

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Bill ~Although this replacement part is listed on the website I mentioned as well as the two you kindly added, when I went to order it ( tried all 3 sites), then the message came back as unavailable. I guess the lesson learned is just because you can see it, try actually placing the order and see what happens! I have talked to Kim at BF as well and they don't have the part either. We have always had a hard time with starting the BF from inside, so we will just leave this switch disconnected permanently.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I hear you Jennifer. That is why I said "possible" in my post. :D

I have encountered many websites claiming to have the item, but as you say, are out of stock when trying to place the order.

That is why I like to have several "possible" sources.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

Don't mean to steal this thread,
but has anybody installed or considered the new style generators... like the Honda Inverter Generator,
as a replacement ,
as the old generators in the BF wear out?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

Actually, I don't think you can wear out an Onan generator if properly maintained. I think Leap'n Lions club past president Mel Wilbur has set a record with something like 1250 hours on his Onan.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Tom & Jennifer, I have to believe that a switch from Onan would work fine. That would give you the hour meter as well. You can check this out with your service shop. If that works the only thing different would be the shape and size of the mounting plate plus the hour meter would start at zero and you would need to keep a record of the current hours on the generator.
Mel & Connie
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

If you are unable to find a direct replacement for the switch you can substitute a similar switch. Here is a link to a switch that should work:
http://www.delcity.net/catalogdetails?item=7600044
It is a DPDT(Double Pole Double Through) Momentary On-Off-Montary On Illuminated switch. This means that it is spring loaded and will return to the center off position when pressed up or down. You most likely would have to modify the switch panel a bit to install it.

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

Tom,

I had Tom and Jennifer remove the panel containing the rocker switch for their Generac generator to see if it had a commercial brand and P/N on it to possibly find a identical replacement switch from a manufacturer of that switch assuming of course that Generac itself did not make the switch which I doubt.

They found the following markings on the rear of the switch which shows the switch ratings but not the brand or P/N.

CRTL 80A12V
200 AMP125 VAC
200 AMP 250 VAC
IHP 125250VAC

This shows that the switch is rated for 80 amps at 12 vdc. The switch shown in the photo in your post above would appear to me, just based on the terminals, that this switch would not be capable of that high a current. In fact, the terminals on that switch appear to be for mounting and soldering directly into a pc board. Sorry but I don't think that switch would work in this application.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Bill,
You piqued my curiosity, so I checked the panel in my coach. Here's what I found:

The switch is actually a SPDT with lamp.

Brand: OSLO
Part Num: CRTL80A 12V
Rating: 20.0 amp 125 V.A.C, 20.0 amp 250 V.A.C, 1 HP

I found data for the switch here:
http://www.osloswitch.com/products/rock ... e-pole.pdf

Here's some photos of my panel:

The wiring appears to be no more than #18. The max current would probably be what the starter solenoid draws. Nowhere near the 20 amp rating.

Hope this helps.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
jasper2222

part

Post by jasper2222 »

You might try this company. I have ordered some Generic parts from them previously.

E-mail: asap ((at)) PartsForTechs.com or use contact form below

Phone: 1-800-630-1230 or 717-274-9396

Fax: 1-877-679-7644

Mailing / Shipping Address:

Advanced Service And Parts
416 Clays Crossing
Lebanon, PA 17042 USA
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

jasper2222,

It looks to be a good source for various RV parts. I checked the switches they offer on their web site and found that they have the start switch. Here's a link:
http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/a ... p-192.html

Photo:
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Good sleuthing. Nice find. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill