Class A vs Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

Class A vs Born Free

Post by wjhgolf »

I know that some of you have previously owned Class A motorhomes. Why did you switch to your BF - other than downsizing and quality? Has anyone ever owned a Thor - particularly a Thor Serrano? We have seen - and really like - the Thor Serrano 31 footer. We like to floor plan and the comfort (apparently) of a "smaller" Class A. We don't want to go over 30 or 31 feet - I know that BF makes a 29 footer, but we think we want one or two slide outs. Thoughts?
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

We are delighted with our Born Free 26rsb, however if we had a wish list it would be for a Class A 30 or 31 ft Born Free, with at least 1 slide, or possibly 2. If we contemplate another purchase it would definitely be a class A. If you wonder why, just count the number of class A's on the road vs the number of class C. We would like a quality 30 ft Class A but many of the class A's on the market are either of poor quality, to high a price, or much to big for our needs.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

My husband and I had a beautifully built Foretravel Class A and it suited our needs perfectly. I bought the BF for myself because it was also high quality and suited my needs. Obviously, a downsize--I neither wanted nor needed a large motorhome. I've never wanted a slide.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Class A vs Class C, that's a tough question. Over the past 42 years we have owned 11 motorhomes and all but the last were class A's ranging from 26" to 40" and from front end gas engines to 40" diesel pushers with the last a 26RB Born Free. I will say that one of the issues that bothered me with the class A front engine was that much of the work on the engine dictated that the mechanics gain access through the living area and no matter how well they covered things there were always grease marks on the carpet and/or chairs . Aside from the downsizing and quality aspects mentioned above, we really appreciate how the folks in Humboldt go the extra mile to take care of us owners, something you cannot appreciate if you were never exposed to the various brands that we were.

Slide or no slide, that's another tough question. We have had both and there are good points and not so good points with either selection. I do have to agree with John Dodgen that sooner or later a water leak will show up and a rattle or two will develop. When looking at a new coach it is important to see just how much space is left when the slide is retracted. For instance, does it interfere with using the dining area stopping for a quick cup of coffee etc. Do I prefer a no slide, yes but I would not rule out a small slide for either a full bed or a sofa bed such as the BF 25" with slide.

These are just my ideas but if a class A coach is on your wish list my recommendation would be to go for it. That's what I have been doing these last 42 motorhoming years and would not have it any other way.
Mel & Connie
Laker

Low cost class A

Post by Laker »

Depending upon how you plan to use your coach, there are a number of Class A manufacturers that have developed entry level coaches. I am most familiar with Thor Motor Coaches and their line of ACE coaches.

There 27' and 28' have a number of features including slides, power jacks, sleeps 4-5, macerator pumps and fantastic outside storage. I have written price quotes of under $70K for these units. I have toured the Thor factory and also the Born Free factory.

Will a Thor hold it's value like a Born Free?

Thor and other manufacturers with new coaches priced at this level are competition for the new 2013 Born Free units priced at $100K plus.

It just comes down to an individual decision on what you want in a motorhome.
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
charlesbell

Class A vs. Born Free

Post by charlesbell »

I prefer the lower height of the Born Free. And the "factory connection" is invaluable. I've had several Winnebago products, one Coachmen, and a National (out of business), before three Born Free coaches. The 2013 Born Free 23FL is a terrific vehicle. Fits my needs to a "T".
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

I never owned a class A, until this springs college graduations (3!!!) I needed the overhead bunk that is much more common with a C than an A. With an A, I would fear losing the relatively easy maintenance and familiarity of the Ford or Chevy van underpinnings, compared to the truck type components on an A. I am never driving my BF and say I wish it were wider or higher. Parked, well then it can get cozy. But mostly I fear the added complexity and sheer size of the A's mechanicals, that would result in less choice of repair sites, and likely substantially more cost and increased down time waiting for parts or a service facility. Not to mention the higher costs of maintaining an A's diesel that is used maybe two weekends a month over half of the year. I've been down that road with my diesel powered boat. Don't want that with my motorhome, at least until I am done working, and would use it more.

I'd be interested in reading others experience with keeping up an A, maybe it's not as bad for an occasional user as I think.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Charlie & Nancy

Post by Charlie & Nancy »

We sold our 32' Winnebago Adventurer a couple of yrs ago after having it for 10 yrs. It had one slide and we LOVED it. We never had any problems with the slide. The reason we downsized was my husband is in his 80's and he was tired of finding gas stations where the motorhome and tow car were easy to manuever. And I didn't feel comfy driving it. We don't pull a tow car now with our BFT. Sometimes we miss having a toad, but we can park almost anywhere we want to go in this one. If you're spending a lot of time in the smaller ones they can get a little confining, but we are very happy with it. It fits our current needs.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

The last two weeks I have really appreciated the size of my BF. Stayed at NPS campgrounds where only a few of the sites would accomodate a large motorhome. Was stuck with several cars behind a class A on the Blue Ridge Parkway whose driver drove about 30 mph when the limit is 45. I could see why he drove 30 on such twisting narrow roads but I could have maintained 45 if he would have been courteous enough to pull off at one of the many overlooks and let a string of at least 20 vehicles pass. Was in Charlottesville, VA today and drove into an almost full parking lot with very little space to maneuver (sp?). Found a pull through spot (two vehicle spaces head to head) that any larger MH would have been unable to use. Very rarely have I driven down a narrow or a dead end street and had any difficulty. I look at larger floor plans on larger C's and A's and think that's what I want, but on reflection the 26 is right for me.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Another example. I drove to Richmond, VA today to visit Hollywood Cemetery. I have decided to visit all of the president's graves and two are in this cemetery -- Monroe and Tyler. Cemetery roads were narrow with sharp turns. No problem for the 26 ft BF. Of course if I had met a car one of us would have had to reverse, but still easier than in a class A.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”