Quartzsite 2013

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

Quartzsite 2013

Post by hrgermany »

Is any body going to Quartzsite, Arizona next year (2013)?

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 FT RSB
Dude

Post by Dude »

Nope, I am not. What is it?
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
stevek

Post by stevek »

I understand its a real big RV show.
Maybe one of the biggest??
I have never been.

http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/rv/rv-general-info/

Who all has been?
Is it worth going to?
And how large is it?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Yes, it is a great show. Be prepared to dry camp in the desert, but there are great dump and refill sites in Quartzsite. It has been several years since I was there and I would like to go again, but it is not on the agenda this time.
Oh yes: Take lots of money because it is also one of the biggest flea markets going.
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have never actually attended this gigantic event but have been by it several times over the last few years when we travel from Phoenix to various places in CA. Quartzsite, AZ is located on I-10 about 20 miles from the CA border. Literally thousands of RVs are mostly dry camping in the desert for miles along the south side of I-10. The town of Quartzsite itself is mostly located on the North side of I-10.

I am sure there are several Born Free owners that post on this website that have attended who can describe the experience in more detail here.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dude

Post by Dude »

Sounds very interesting. So it is an RV show AND a flea market? That I like :D I have gone to many car shows and swap meets (car flea market) and have had a great time. I always thought an RV flea market would be a great way to pick up good used camping/RV equipment.

My BIL and SIL are supposed to move to AZ in 5 years. Maybe we'll have to plan a visit during the show.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Here are the recaps of the 2009 and 2008 Born Free rallies in Quartzsite. I attended the rally in 2009.

2009:
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=1767

2008:
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=1478

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Steve

Post by Steve »

We've been there several times, it is literally a "gigantic" flea market, they have a large RV show, gem shows and a lot of other things going on during the winter months. If you can't find what you are looking for here then they probably don't make it. We once spent 3 days walking around all the tents and buildings and still didn't see it all.
There are about 30 RV parks in town, but unless you have reservations you probably won't get a site. I recommend just parking in the desert, just pick a spot. I would guess their are probably 500,000 RV's or more parked in the desert. We drove a jeep to the top of one of the hills and I could see RV's for 30 miles in each direction.
The best place to dump holding tanks and get water and propane is the "RV Pit Stop", don't worry if the line is 1/3 mile long they move an RV thru in about 5 minutes or less and have 3 lanes. You can get propane, fresh water and bottled water and they dump your holding tanks; quite the operation.
Make sure you stop at the used book store, the owner is quite the character!

Note: If you camp in the desert be sure and take some GPS co-ordinates so you can find your way back.

Here are some links for Quartzsite, AZ.

http://www.quartzsitebusinesschamber.com/camp.htm

http://www.pbase.com/ravenoaks/quartzsi ... d&page=all

Steve
Trix

Post by Trix »

I'm going to Quartzite in February with the RV-Dreams group.

I will be happy to pass on the huge crowds and spectacle in January.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Been there, done that and disappointed. Expected to see RV's of every type and description, but actually only handfull present. Get to the dumpsite early, the line fills up fast.
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

We went last winter, met up and camped with some friends. Its fun if you like to wander a gigantic flea market/rock & gem market. Also fun if you can spend time with a common interest group or a group of friends. Lots of room in the desert to camp and get together.

Expect to deal with big crowds in town and occasional dust storms if the wind picks up.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

I only live about 2 hours from there and I go every other year. I have been making it a day trip, but this year since I retired, I'm going to stay 2-4 days. The main RV show is under a big tent. The rest of the show/meet covers 100's of acres.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”