New York State Parkways

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

New York State Parkways

Post by Dallas Baillio »

On another thread it is stated that RV's are illegal on New York state parkways. When I travelled in NY recently I drove on the Taconic Parkway. When entering I encountered a sign that stated "No Trucks." What would be your interpretation? 18 wheelers, trailer trucks? If it meant RV's it should have said so. Think of all the other questions the sign brings to mind. Pickup Trucks? Van based campers such as RoadTrek? The 21 ft Born Free? I imagine some cars are longer that that. Limosines? I decided to apply my own interpretation which, of course, permitted me to travel on the parkway.

I decided it meant trailer trucks. I don't drive a truck, I drive a motorhome, or as Born Free likes to make us feel elite and special a motor coach.
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We tried one of them once and ran into (not literally) a 9 ft clearance overpass and made a very quick exit. Pay attention.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

That could be a really good reason. The sign could state "No Trucks, low clearances" which would have caught my attention. :D
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

It is against the law to drive any RV on any Parkway in the Northeast as far as I know. The signage may be miserable and vague, but that doesn't alter the law alas!
Dude

Post by Dude »

"You can't drive an RV on any Parkway in the North East" is untrue. The Garden State Parkway in NJ only has a ban on Commercial Trucks. Basically if there is a name on the side of a truck, you can't drive on the Garden State Parkway in NJ.

Now NY basically bans anything other than a passenger vehicle on the Parkways due to very low bridge clearances.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dallas, I am surprised that the sign said only no trucks. On the Taconic entrances near me, they say no trucks, trailers or campers. Ditto for the all the other New York parkways in the New York City area. Some of the parkways have really low overpasses, but not all of them. Most have fairly narrow lanes, so that may be another reason to ban RVs. In New York in the NYC area, the rule of thumb is that if it is called a parkway, don't expect to be allowed to drive an RV on it.

Matt is correct that the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey allows RVs. We use it often when travelling south.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have to amend my statement regarding Commercial Vehicles on the Garden State Parkway in NJ.

Small Commercail Vehicles such as pickups and vans are allowed. It is the bigger box trucks and 18 wheelers and such that are not allowed. The point I wanted to make was that RV's are allowed on the Garden State Parkway.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
thestoloffs

Re: New York State Parkways

Post by thestoloffs »

Dallas Baillio wrote:On another thread it is stated that RV's are illegal on New York state parkways.

This was my comment on the other thread, based on a discussion John Eastman of the Dodgen Commercial division & I had with a prospect at the Abilities Expo in Edison, NJ two years ago.

I took my advice directly from NY State & NYC Departments of Transportation (see attachment).

(Parenthetically, I drove to that particular event via the Garden State Parkway, so I can confirm everyone's comments.)
Attachments
NYCDOT NYSDOT Parkways Brochure October 2009.pdf
(3.68 MiB) Downloaded 342 times
Marilynn & Gerry Stoloff
Coconut Creek, FL
Former owner of 26' Mobility
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I retrieved my map of New York. I entered the Taconic Parkway southbound just east of Poughkeepsie of US 44. I exited Westbound on I-84. Perhaps the sign said more than "No Trucks." I can't be absolutely positive. Maybe someone can check it out. The sign may have also read "Passenger Cars Only," which would rule out RV's.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

A word of warning when travelling in CT. State Route 15 (a.k.a., Merritt Parkway and Wilbur Cross Parkway) usually has warning signs at entrances saying no commercial vehicles. Not until you actually enter the ramp are there signs giving a weight restriction of (I think) 8000 pounds and a height restriction (which I can't remember). I guess they expect you to back down the ramp if you are overweight or overheight!
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

The parkways of the NY Metro area are truly treasures. How delightful it is to drive with no trucks and I would include RVs. Many of these parkways lead to beaches or other scenic areas. I particularly like the Taconic and Merritt Parkways.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

The rule of thumb IMO is this: since BF is not commercial, nor behemoth and without toad, the only driving restriction is on the direction of Jones Beach. Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and Queens Midtown Tunnel have horizontal wooden beam (I think 12' 11") and an alarm. On top of this, NY's finest (the cops) are very helpful and reasonable and will help with a "Have a nice day" smile.

I am not talking about driver's skill.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

While we try to avoid big cities excepting using interstates to get through, Chicago and perhaps some surrounding suburbs have prohibitions on RVs which would include any BF on "Boulevards". I have never seen this posted, and the local police have rep. for being quite intolerant of Rvers caught there.
Haven't done much Rving in NE but friend of mine who's son is over-the-road
trucker considers the Northeast, with New Jersey at the bottom of the list, the most difficult part of the country to travel in and through.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
thestoloffs

Post by thestoloffs »

OK, I went to the further source:
Excerpts from the Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York
SUBCHAPTER E § 180.1
Special Parkways

PART 180
SPECIAL REGULATIONS REGARDING SPECIAL PARKWAYS

§ 181.1 Definitions of words and phrases.

{snip}

(19) House coach. Any vehicle motivated by a power connected therewith or propelled by a power within itself, which is or can be used as the home or living abode or habitation of one or more persons, either temporarily or permanently. In the application of these regulations to house coaches, a house coach propelled by a power within itself shall be deemed a motor vehicle, a house coach motivated by a power connected therewith shall be deemed a trailer, and all house coaches shall be deemed vehicles.

§ 182.31 Restricted vehicles.

The following type vehicles, including those elsewhere defined in this Part, are not permitted on the parkways within the parkway system, unless authorized under an agreement with the department:
{snip}
(f) house coaches;
In the matter of Born Free v. New York Parkways, I rest my case. :)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”