Overheats but only when idling

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TomP

Overheats but only when idling

Post by TomP »

Not sure what it could be.

I replaced the belts and the belt tensioner; flushed the radiator; replaced the hoses.

I'm about to take it in the the shop. Any ideas?

1995 24RB

Thanks

TomP
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

When my previous MH was nearing 20 years old, it overheated climbing hills. A new radiator completely solved the issue. Flushing an old radiator probably isn't effective enough. The deposits get a tight grip in the radiator tubes. A worn water pump is also a possibility.

Until you get it fixed, you might rev the engine up in neutral when stopped to increase the coolant flow through the radiator. Or turn up the heater temp and fan, not a pleasant thing to do in the heat of summer.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Or turn up the heater temp and fan, not a pleasant thing to do in the heat of summer.
We did this a couple of times when towing a trailer with an SUV in the desert in summer. Yes, it's painful but it works!
whemme

Post by whemme »

TomP,

Since it overheats only while idling, I would check your cooling fan clutch. That clutch unit senses the temperature of the air being drawn thru the radiator past the cooling fan blades and causes the fan to be direct coupled to the fan pulley with no slippage when the air temperature raises to a certain high temperature.

If the fan remains uncoupled while sitting still idling, the engine will overheat.

A small photo of the E450 fan clutch is show below.
Attachments
Picture of fan clutch for Ford E450 V10 engine
Picture of fan clutch for Ford E450 V10 engine
Picture 1.png (46.1 KiB) Viewed 10247 times
Last edited by whemme on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
karls

Post by karls »

I agree that the first thing to check is the fan clutch, although I'm not sure how you can tell by looking at it. It will turn some even when engine is cool.

The best way is to rev up the engine and listen for a loud howl such as comes from big trucks when they are accelerating.

The fan clutch on my 94RB failed on a recent trip west that took us over the continental divide. It was necessary to turn off the A/C and turn the heater on full hot to keep the temperature reasonable. I had NAPA install a new one, but no change.

Checking with the local radiator shop the guy said after market clutches are unreliable and to get one from a Ford parts department.

An interesting aspect of this over heating business is the information that I got from the scan guage. It gives a numerical readout of the water temperature, and can be compared to the Ford temperature guage in the dashboard. It turns out that the Ford readout is considerably damped from reality, that is it doesn't show an increase until the water temperature is considerably elevated above the highest thermostat limit. Example, my 196 degree thermostat was fully open at 206 degrees, but due to conditions (load, hill, wind) the temperature would keep rising with the Ford guage only beginning to climb at 225 degrees.

One one occasion I took a chance and let the temperature go way up to see if the fan would kick in, but no luck. The temperature got to 248 degrees, the Ford guage went into the red and the check engine light came on. At that point I pulled over and threw water on the radiator, and turned the heater on.

Letting it go that far was taking a chance with a blown head gasket, but I got away with it.

Another avenue to check is clogged radiator fins. If the radiators (actually three of them - A/C, tranmission, engine) are jammed full of bugs it will keep the hot air from getting to the clutch and heating it up enough to cause the viscous clutch to engage.
whemme

Post by whemme »

karls,

We are all wondering. Did a Ford OEM replacement fan clutch fix your over heating problem???
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

If the fan clutch is not the problem, flushing the radiator does not do any good. The radiator has to come out, the top has to be removed and the radiator has to be roded out.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26FT RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Hans,

Not sure what 'roded out' means?
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

whemme wrote:Hans,

Not sure what 'roded out' means?
Bill,

In the old days, when things were repaired, not thrown out, a radiator guy would take small long rods and push them through the radiator tubes to remove blockages and scale, flush the debris away, solder any holes, and reassemble the radiator. In a couple a years, he would do it again. Much lower cost than a new radiator. One of my junker cars I had in high school had it done at least twice. Now they just install a new third world built radiator. More cost effective with the current economic conditions. The radiator rods are likely stored alongside the vacuum tube tester. My parents (RIP), who struggled through the depression era, would be appalled.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
karls

Post by karls »

Bill,

I haven't gotten around to installing the OEM (Ford) fan clutch yet. I'm going to check for clogged radiator fins first. I'll try to get it done soon while there is some hot weather to test it.

NAPA said they would honor the warranty, but that would be another after-market clutch.

I'll post the results.
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

In the old days radiators were made out of brass and could be cleaned.
Now a days they are made out of aluminum and should be replaced.
I have a 1995 E350 that has a brass radiator.

Hans Rueckert
TomP

It was the fan clutch

Post by TomP »

It was the fan clutch. Thank for the info. Sorry for the absurdly long response time from me.
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”