Sticker Shock

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Sticker Shock

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I am in California after completing my visits to all 38 presidential grave sites. Today I entered a state beach park just outside Capitola, CA south of San Francisco. Camping fee for one night -- $65.00. I did a 180. Am I just out of touch? $20 for a state park with water and elec in Texas, $14 for the same in New Mexico. Around $30 in Kansas.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
army

Post by army »

The discussion of politics is prohibited on this site so I'll not post what I really think. Just let me say, "welcome to the worst coast"!
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Now you know why there is a mass exodus from California. The greed of state and local government out here is unparalleled. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Dallas

From a native Californian, welcome to the "State of Disfunction". We reside in Northern California and when we camp in state parks, we do not camp in California. Oregon is our locale of choice, but we have found state parks in numerous states where we had enjoyable visits. As a prior post stated this is definitely not a forum for political comments. I would suggest a private campground as there are many in California that are cheaper and more pleasant than our state parks.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

We are getting ready to drive down Hwy 1 to central CA.
So, is this $65 pretty typical for CA State Parks? along the coast?
Maybe better to look for KOA?
I have a KOA card.
Thanks.

Got me to thinking...We just stayed in a Motel 6 in Medford OR.
Was $46 incl tax and my senior discount for 2 people.
Nice clean room.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Laker

1 - 2 travelers

Post by Laker »

I do not presently own a Born Free, but a a single traveler, there is no doubt I can travel by car cheaper. Figure the 22 MPG of the car, no cost for MH, and camping prices like these and you can see why it is cheaper.

BUT, I am sure most Born Free owners would say they travel in a Born Free because it is a lifestyle and not the most economical way to travel.
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

This is one reason we carry a Trailer Life Directory, and get a new one every 2 years. We can see what the last year's rates were so we don't get a surprise when we get there. Granted, the rates could have increased greatly in a year or two, but that would be an unusual circumstance.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Many of the California state parks are $35.00 per night. San Simeon was $35 for a site within walking distance of the beach. No water view and no electrical hookup. They also had $20.00 sites on a hill, but still no water view and no electricity and a long way to the beach. I think all beach sites are more expensive. Still, $65.00 was a bit over the top.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
TomP

Post by TomP »

I've driven by Canton many times. I know that RV spot. :)

There's an RV resort that's upwards of $70/night near San Antonio. I've been by there and the amenities (if you really need all that) are not worth half the price.

There are other gigantic rip-offs in every state but i wouldn't throw California (or any other state)under the bus because of it.

Happy Travels.
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Aw, c'mon, Tom! Let's throw California under the bus! :lol:

[It'll have to be a pretty big bus, though...]

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”