Entertainment Center TV replacement ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Entertainment Center TV replacement ?

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I have a '99 RSB with the Entertainment center....love my model, hate the old TV. Saw what Bill Hemme has posted for change over to new slim line type TV. I cannot do that. Have contacted Kim & it appears the conversion kit will have to be made to order. May end up being more $$$ than I can afford....Has anyone else done this improvement for a reasonable amount of money? Just hoping there's a way that I haven't thought of that won't be so expensive.....Any thoughts, ideas, etc. will be much appreciated.............. 8)
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

You could buy a TV that is larger than the hole that the old TV is in and hang it so it covers the hole.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

There are doors on each side that I would have to consider....Also, as in the new BF models, the center door lifts up (giving full access to the over head area)....The TV is mounted to the front of that door....that's sort of what I want to do....don't need a big TV, a 20" screen would be fine...just need it to clear the edges of the cabinet doors....
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Entertainment center...this is what I want to replace, modify....
Attachments
BF cab 2aa.jpg
BF cab 2aa.jpg (197.95 KiB) Viewed 12059 times
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

If you replace your TV make sure you buy one with the right viewing angle.
I first installed a 21" Toshiba,the viewing angle was not right.I changed it to
a 22" Sharp TV LCD with DVD player.That was a couple years ago.I cut a larger opening and made a matching door and frame for it.The TV is mounted on the door supported by 2 hydraulic shocks,that keep the door open if needed.My grand son loves to sleep up there.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26FT RSB
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Hans...is there any chance that you could post a picture ?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Charlotte, here is how I mounted our LCD TV: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=1689 instead of doing what I did and recessing the TV you could just mount it to a flat cabinet door, hinged with a gas strut and then you could easily open the door for more storage.

Steve
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thats really beautiful work Steve.
This might be another option.
Take out old TV and buy a swing up mount like this one.
$28 shipped.
http://www.bundlecity.com/p-1630-arrowm ... black.aspx
Amazon also sell this mount. You can read the reviews.

You can also buy a 12 VDC TV with built in DVD player.
Like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Widescreen-Televi ... B004YOGR1E

Just my 2 cents.. :D Good Luck.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Charlotte,

Here is a link to what I did. You could do something similar.

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=2591

Come on girl!! You can do it :D
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

Sorry Charlotte I have not developed that kind o talent. But from the response you received you can get the general idea. The only difference from Steve I did not build a box; my TV mounts on the door that swings up.

Haqns Rueckert
1995 BF 26FT RSB
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I really appreciate all responses....and of course the pictures & info. how to install, etc. are worth a thousand words so again thank you all for your time and sharing.
My reason for posting is complicated. Had a really tough year, having lost my daughter who lived with me & was my 'rock'....who could do anything & build whatever was necessary (Have every tool imaginable...) But now that Kathy is gone, I have little desire to travel so my BF is in storage (inside). I kinda thought if I could get the TV replaced, it might give me an incentive to get on the road again. The TV (original) only works when in a RV park that provides cable. My other alternative is to give up RVing & just sell my much loved unit. Trying to keep that as a last resort. I cannot attempt to do what you fellows have done .... but I do have a decent RV place that will make the conversion for me....(probably lots of $$$$). My first choice is to have the center door with the TV attached that lifts up. Obviously so I have full access to the storage area behind. (Don't need an overhead bed/sleeping area there). As a second choice I guess the way Dallas installed his TV would be the easiest. Except I would be doing that in my overhead area.....I think what Steve has suggested is exactly what I could have done...just need the door & the gas thingies.....Will wait to hear from Kim regarding the conversion kit price & whether I can afford it...in the meantime I am downloading all suggestions & printing them out to take to my RV repair place & see if any of that is something they can do without it costing an arm & a leg....
Anyhow, I really do appreciate the input....was hoping for a inexpensive & easy fix....well, we'll see...Thanks all..........Be safe & enjoy....
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I did something similar to what stevek suggested, that is installed a swing up TV mount to the ceiling just in front of the entertainment center in my BFT. Here is the swing up mount I used for a 22 inch Vizio HDTV: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ight=mount

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Well, here I am ...back again...Just had laminated wood flooring installed and am happy with the results...see pics.... Had the TV done also, but they didn't put those hydrallic things on the door & didn't place the TV the way I wanted it either. Was not able to oversee as the work was being done due to some family health issues, but stopped there yesterday and asked for the corrections to be made....so they will do that...Love the floor & I think the TV will work out really well once it is lowered....Now I'm looking for the replacement radio....doesn't look like a 1 dinn will look very good as the radio is very narrow compared to what I have in there now (the original one).....am going to do my homework to see what will fit my budget.....
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Here's the floor pictures...
Attachments
BF floor 2 (480x640).jpg
BF floor 2 (480x640).jpg (194.45 KiB) Viewed 11518 times
BF floor 5 (480x640).jpg
BF floor 5 (480x640).jpg (185.07 KiB) Viewed 11518 times
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Charlotte,

Like your floors. Laminate was a very good choice. I have wood and it scratches easily and leaves a deep impression.

Glad you are on the rebound. Rv'ing is good solace. You never know what or who will be over the next hill. :wink:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”