Driving through Boston

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

Driving through Boston

Post by wjhgolf »

Has anyone driven through downtown Boston on a weekday to sightsee? We will be staying 40 miles north of there the night before and only going 40 miles south for the next night. We want to get the flavor of Boston and won't be in any hurry. What should we stop and see? Parking?
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

It's been quite a few years since I went to college and drove my car & motorcycle in Beantown, but Boston driving was a thrill best left to those who care nothing about the exterior appearance of their vehicles. They do have great public transit that is likely a better choice for a non native. Take 128 or 495 around town, park your BF, and ride the train into town.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Roger

Post by Roger »

I was stationed in Boston with the Coast Guard. I agree with the above. DO NOT drive in the city!!!! The old sections are a rabbit warren of narrow streets, many of them one way, with almost no parking. The Freedom Trail (Paul Revere's house, the Old North Church, etc) is a pleasant walk in good weather. If you do find yourself driving in the Boston area, DO NOT get on Storrow Drive!!!! It's a scenic road the parallels the Charles River but it has a series of very low overpasses. Several times a year an errant trucker or bus driver manages to get on there by mistake and winds up cleaning off the top of their vehicle!

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

I second the above two posts about driving in Boston!

You should also be aware that the I-93 tunnels through Boston are HAZMAT tunnels. I think these are closed to RV's with propane tanks.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

In 2008 we drove our 40' diesel pusher through the tunnels on I-93. We didn't see any signs restricting motorhomes or trailers with propane.

If you have the time, spend a night or four at Wompatuck State Park http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/womp.htm a few miles south of downtown Boston and take the public transportation into town. We took the train/subway from the Braintree station.
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/womp.htm
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

I, as usual, waffled with my earlier Hazardous Cargo statement. Propane tanks are prohibitd in the Boston tunnels.

For a direct response from the Mass highway department see:

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fu ... 064421.cfm
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

tomdclark wrote:I, as usual, waffled with my earlier Hazardous Cargo statement. Propane tanks are prohibitd in the Boston tunnels.

For a direct response from the Mass highway department see:

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fu ... 064421.cfm
The above link is a link to a forum discussion about whether or not the propane tanks in your RV is considered "hazardous cargo". Also in the discussion is an "Opinion" from Woodalls that Woodalls believes RV's are not allowed in the tunnels. I say "opinion" since Woodalls does not provide a link to an official statement from Massachusetts. If I missed the link to the Mass Hwy Dept, please supply it.

As I remember and the Woodalls forum discussion confirmed, the signs on the interstate restrict "hazardous cargo", but nothing in the signs restrict propane powered vehicles or RV's with propane tanks.

Now down in Baltimore, yes, I know it is a different state, there is ample warning that RV's with propane tanks are not allowed in the tunnels, but not in Boston.

In the Norfolk, VA area there are checkpoints requiring RV's to stop to verify their propane tanks are turned off before entering the tunnels.

From what I have seen, places where RV's with propane tanks are not allowed there is ample warning, not just a notice about hazardous cargo.

Until someone can provide a link to an official Mass. government where it clearly states RV's with propane tanks are prohibited, I am of the opinion RV's ARE allowed in the Boston tunnels.

I don't understand how people can leap to the conclusion that a propane tank in an RV is "cargo". If that was true then I would also assume a propane or LPG powered vehicle was carrying hazardous cargo.
Last edited by al1florida on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Here is a link to an official Mass DOT doc http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/ ... ation.aspx
restricting Hazardous Cargo (HC) travel through the tunnels and the alternate routes available. It specifically talks about HC (Hazardous Cargo) vehicles. These are the same vehicles which are not allowed to take certain interstate routes in many cities. We see these "no HC" traffic symbols on signs all over the country. However none of these routes prohibit RV's with propane tanks,
southshoremidwife

Post by southshoremidwife »

You do NOT want to drive in downtown Boston with your Bornfree. Jerry and I lived 25 miles south in Scituate for 26 years. The roads are narrow, and there is NO parking for a motorhome. Tough even in a car. Wompatuck state park in Hingham is a great place to stay. They are not open until mid April. You can take the Greenbush line from Cohasset (on Rt. 3A). There you will find ample open parking. Good luck.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Normandy Farms campground in Foxboro, MA, south of Boston, is a great campground and is open year round.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”