Spare Tire on the Roof

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Just to add to this discussion, in 2001, I was told that John Dodgen was opposed to having spare and the then sales manager very assertively supported that view. I persevered and the 23RK was delivered with rear hitch mounted spare. Interestingly a BF 2007 AK caravan on which John was present had factory recommendation to carry a spare. That is first time I saw a factory provided roof mounted spare.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

The original question was how to deal with carrying two spares not how to change the Born Free factory's philosophy.

I agree a mounted tire is heavy and that's why I won't even consider *lifting* one. Will a winch work? I don't know until I try. Clearly the winch is rated for it, whether the luggage rack is, is unknown.

But a winch approach is safer than any thing using a rope that could slip or drop.

No need to get too excited about the subject as it affects few folks..how many have ever wanted to carry two mounted spares at a time? I am open to suggestions as well as the original poster. The use of a spare on the roof would be a last resort, and hopefully one seldom if ever used. In my 6 years of RV'n I have only had one flat so far, but that was in Nicaragua..a little past Good Sam's range. Two flats in an area out of cell phone coverage..well, I'd rather have a self-repair option.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Thanks for all the interesting replies. I'm going with Bill Hemme's method, (thanks Bill) and putting it under the sofa, where the weight is fairly low and well forward of the rear axle. If I would not have had an easy opportunity to get 2 new wheels with my new tires, I'd still go without a spare. The more I though about getting the spare up to the roof, the less that prospect appealed. Like I said previously, both my front and rear hitch are already spoken for.
In retrospect, I don't need two spares. I'll put one on Harrisburg Craigslist and get rid of the second spare.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
deek

Post by deek »

I tried lugging one of the tires up on the roof and decided it was just too awkward and heavy.

Here's my solution back from powder coat and mounting. This is just like Roger's only tire mounted outward to accommodate the tool box behind it. The trailer I'm pulling does not interfere with the tire even at the most acute angle.

This wasn't hard to build. A plate, some square tubing, gussets, and a couple of big bolts. I would have posted more of the build, but it seemed overkill.
Attachments
Here it is with the tire and cover.
Here it is with the tire and cover.
Tire 3.jpg (148.95 KiB) Viewed 14654 times
Here's the mount without tire
Here's the mount without tire
Tire 2.jpg (129.76 KiB) Viewed 14654 times
Fresh from powder coat.
Fresh from powder coat.
Tire 1.jpg (180.81 KiB) Viewed 14654 times
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Very craftsman like work, you can take pride with your solutions.
Ed & Beth
Rich Flaugh

Post by Rich Flaugh »

Right now I'm carrying a mounted spare on the roof of my 24'RB but have thought about moving it to a front mount. When my coach is fully loaded and/or pulling a boat I'm slightly overloaded on the rear axle and I notice more steering "wander". Getting the heavy tire/rim off the rear axle should improve steering. I'm encouraged by BizMan's comments that he hadn't seen overheating with the front mount.
I just priced a front mount hitch with 2" square receiver with tire carrier installed @ about $300. This is probably the option I go with before setting off for Alaska on July 5.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Rich, I was also thinking of installing a hitch in front.
Please keep us advised how it goes.
Are you going to do it yourself?
Lots of plastic up there in fromt: under the bumper, that surely would have to be cut/ trimmed. Or just left off?

Then there is this option to carrying the spare tire and still being able to Tow something.
Not sure if I am that happy with it. Spare sits way back.
Would be OK if you wanted to carry a Box or something between the tire carrier and the back of the BF.

Any other ideas/ options? Looks like the simplest is just to carry Spare inside under couch.
Does anybody make a tire carrier and being able to tow at the same time?
Dallas, tire carrier shown is yours. Thanks again.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

Here is how I had it done.

I didn't have to cut the bumper or modify anything on the front.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks for info and pics.
So, did it look something like this?
This is the one that will fit my 2011 E350.
http://www.hitchsource.com/ford-series- ... 29394.html

Did you install it yourself?
If so, how hard/ easy was it?
My BF is all plastic underneath from the bumper back to the bottom of the radiator.
So that all would have to be removed and trimmed.
Steve
CA/OR border
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

stevek wrote:Thanks for info and pics.

My BF is all plastic underneath from the bumper back to the bottom of the radiator.
My BF is on a 2003 E450 chassis, so I have a different bumper. However you may be helped by some of the techniques I used to install my hitch.
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ht=trailer

I have since switched to a much lighter Kuat alpha bike hitch rack.
Ed & Beth
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Ed. Great info and help.
I also have bikes, that I want to carry.
Will let you all know when I install the front hitch and how it goes.
Need for the weather to warm up, as will do it myself.
Steve
CA/OR border
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

stevek wrote:Thanks for info and pics.

I had it installed by a hitch dealer. The tire mount is a 'Curt' that cost about $100. I had the dealer put in a jamnut so the tire wouldn't wiggle. The way the hitch is mounted, it goes on the frame and comes out under the bumper. He didn't have to cut anything. Good luck.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I dont carry a spare as it has been 20 years since I had a flat. However if I wanted to carry a spare for the BF I would simply buy one and put it in the trunk of my toad. I wouldnt mount it on a wheel as the road service could do that for me.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Sam Ryan wrote:
William Higbie wrote:I dont carry a spare as it has been 20 years since I had a flat. However if I wanted to carry a spare for the BF I would simply buy one and put it in the trunk of my toad. I wouldnt mount it on a wheel as the road service could do that for me.
Basic paid subscription road service (Good Sam's, et al) will not provide for mounting a spare tire on a rim. Ask me how I learned that. :wink:

I'm sure the roadside service would be happy to provide that extra service for $75.00 - $100.00 +/-, provided they were capable of such.
I think that is standard roadside service, to not cover the labor associated with mounting a tire on the wheel. We use Coach-net and the service covers the trip charge and changing the flat tire with a mounted and inflated spare. If the tire has to be mounted then we would pay the labor.

If you don't carry a spare and the tire blows out, the service will arrange to have a replacement tire delivered, but the labor to mount the tire on the wheel and the cost of the tire is my responsibility.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Something to keep in mind if you don't carry a spare, mounted or unmounted.
Assuming the the tire has blown out or damaged by road debris and you need a new tire, the roadside assistance programs will arrange to have a new tire delivered. However you will have to pay for the new tire and the labor to mount it.

If you are stranded on the side of the road you are at the mercy of the people delivering the tire on what they will charge you for the new tire! It is possible to negotiate with the tire service folks and maybe try to arrange for so some other company for a cheaper price. But mean while you are parked on the side of the road, or maybe a very busy interstate for hours trying to get that tire at a price you could buy it at your local tire retailer.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”