Catalytic heater

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mockturtle

Catalytic heater

Post by mockturtle »

Has anyone installed a catalytic heater in their BF using a T-connection from the propane tank?
Dude

Post by Dude »

I see no reason why you can't do it. I have used my Mr. Buddy heater in my popup with a 20# tank outside and the hose running inside. If I was to use my Mr. Buddy heater in the BF and wanted to T off somewhere I would do it by the stove so the heater could sit on the counter and the hose wouldn't be too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJtqWBy7CXU
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I would not trust a catalytic heater in enclosed space. Things like too much CO and even CO2 are scary. JMO
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Dude

Post by Dude »

We have debated the use of the Mr. Buddy heaters on my other camping website often......it boils down to needing ventilation. You need to crack a window.
Matt
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I installed a Mr. Heater Buddy and it works well. I removed the regulator from the Buddy and attached a hose. This allowed me to tap into the low pressure side of the propane. I placed a tee near the cook-top and store the Buddy in the cabinet underneath when not in use. Removing the regulator was a bit of a struggle because you have to disassemble the unit. You might want to consider the "Big Buddy". It has a quick disconnect fitting for use with low pressure already installed.

I don't sleep with the heater or furnace on. I just pile on the blankets. If it's really cold in the morning, I turn on the furnace to warm up quickly, then fire up the Buddy and turn the furnace off. I open the kitchen window a crack and open the roof vent a bit for ventilation.

The benefits are:
Uses no coach electricity.
Uses less propane than the furnace.
Silent.

The down side:
Needs ventilation.

Mr. Heater Buddy:
Mr. Heater Big Buddy:
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Mel Wilbur

catalytic heater

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Here is an interesting report regarding this topic. http://cs.cpsc.gov/ConceptDemo/SearchCP ... splay=true
Mel & Connie
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thanks Mel,

The 2003 findings cite oxygen depletion and unreacted propane leading to hypoxia as a danger. The report goes on to say:

The peak CO concentration ranged from 68 ppm to 125 ppm and the steady state CO concentration ranged from 67 ppm to 109 ppm. Assuming a limited exposure time of up to 6.5 hours at these CO concentrations, the catalytic heater does not appear to pose a serious CO hazard to healthy adults when the CO concentration is considered by itself.

And to think all the discussion on this thread has been about CO poisoning.

It appears that venting a catalytic heater is more needed to maintain oxygen levels and insure propane burns fully than to prevent CO buildup although you kill three birds with one stone when you do vent.

I may do my own research to determine if CPSC standards since this report have been revised to better warn comsumers of the hazards or to insure catalytic heaters have been modified to be more safe.

I bought a catalytic heater last year and have been careful to vent it and use it for no more than a couple of hours at a time, but I most likely failed to read the small print warnings that came with it.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Are there any reports of people dying from using a catalytic heater in an RV?
charlesbell

catalytic heater

Post by charlesbell »

So what is the advantage of a catalytic heater vs. the RV furnace?
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
whemme

Post by whemme »

I was wondering the same thing as Charles above. Assuming that the existing Born Free furnace and a catalytic heater (both propane powered) are of similiar efficiency, I don't really see the advantage of the catalytic heater. We carry aboard a 1500 watt electric heater that we use rather than the furnace when we are plugged into shore line power. Better to use the campground's AC power then my propane since I am paying the campground for their AC power anyway.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

When dry camping, the RV furnace will run the battery down quickly, especially in cold weather.
Dude

Post by Dude »

On a furnace it uses the battery for the fan I know in a popup....obviously not well insulated....a furnace would suck the battery dead in 2 nights set at 50 degrees on a moderate fall night.
Matt
stevek

Post by stevek »

How many DC amps does the average BF propane heater use?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

I think it is about 6 amps. Depending on how cold it is and where you set the furnace thermostat and how good a condition you coach batteries are, two nights of dry camping will deplete them. Only one night if your coach is equipped with a single battery.

The OEM supplied coach battery is a Interstate SRM-27. The larger capacity Interstate SRM-29 will fit in the battery carrier and will give you a 20% increase in capacity.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”