House battery hold downs / tie downs

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

House battery hold downs / tie downs

Post by wjhgolf »

I just replaced my house batteries with two Delco M24MF sealed batteries, but the installer didn't have anything for a hold down / tie down except a heavy duty bungee cord. He suggested I obtain a more permanent hold down that goes over the top of both batteries and connects with the tray by hooking metal "pegs" into the slots in the tray before tightening. Anyone seen one of used one of these? My two batteries measure about 14" across the top.
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Why didn't the installer use the tie down straps from the previously installed batteries?

Or were they missing?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
wjhgolf

Original Battery Tie Downs

Post by wjhgolf »

There weren't any. Not only that, but when the prior (original) owner - who I bought from - replaced the original batteries, they hooked them up in parallel rather than series, so I never was getting all the power that I should have been getting! They were five years old, so that's why I replaced them.
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Bill,
Although I have replaced our slide-out tray with the Fleming EZ-glide tray I believe the tie down straps had the same arrangement as the original slide and you may be able to purchase just the straps from them.
Mel & Connie
whemme

Post by whemme »

The Delco M24MF are 12V deep cycle batteries that of course need to be connected in parallel.

I assume the previously installed batteries must have been 6V batteries connected in parallel (should have been in series only if they were 6V). If they were 6V and connected in parallel then you would had really no operation of your DC appliances in the coach as items requiring 12V don't usually work at all on 6V. Also, the 12V charging output from the Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter system connected to a pair of 6V batteries in parallel would probably damage the 7345 if not the batteries themselves.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

There are tie down straps that have metal hooks (pegs?) on each end. The metal connector can be used to tighten the straps for any length. Here is a link to a few.

http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/E-Tra ... k-s/59.htm

There are many possibilities. Visit Home Depot and Lowe's and check out what they have. I'm sure you will find an easy solution.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

The Delco M24MF is a 12 volt battery and should not be hooked up in series as the Born Free motorhome has a 12 volt DC circuit and hooking two 12 volt batteries in series provides 24 volts to the circuits.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”