Emptying tanks on 2005 24 ft RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

baxmd

Emptying tanks on 2005 24 ft RB

Post by baxmd »

We are newbies who bought a 24RB and just drove it from Tx to MD, arriving home yesterday. It was a great learning experience and we are very happy with our purchase. Naturally, we have tons of questions, but I'll stick to the one that caused aggravation. Should it be difficult to empty the tanks? We actually had to pull on the rear panel to be able to attach the sewer hose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom and Paula
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

No, that should not be necessary. If it's like mine, the sewer outlet can be pulled down when dumping and pushed back up for traveling. :)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Unlike other RV's the dump mechanism can be moved up or down (rotated), yours was probably up, it may be a little stiff if it hasn't been moved for awhile. I just point mine slightly down and don't worry about it.
Steve
baxmd

Post by baxmd »

Thanks for the tips; I tried pushing, pulling, etc and nothing moved. It looks like a solid PVC fitting. 2 pix attached. I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks,
Tom
Attachments
sewerhose_connect1.jpg
sewerhose_connect1.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
sewerhose_connect2.jpg
sewerhose_connect2.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 7451 times
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

It should twist downward. Maybe you could try some silicone spray around the fittings to try to loosen it up. I wouldn't force it, though. If you can't get it to work, try calling Kim at the BF factory for advice.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Yes, if it is like mine, it twists down (and up :D ). Yours may be frozen from lack of use. Like the previous poster suggested, you might try spray silicon or WD-40 on the joints to loosen it up.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I must have bad luck when it comes to sewer dump valves. For some time I moved the sewer hose connect portion down to empty and up for storage/clearance when travelling. Twice the valves became hard to open. The seals that fit on each side of the valves had stiffened just enough to twist and partially block the valve from closing fully. Result--messy, stinky
leaks when the cover was removed. I just leave the sewer hose connect portion in a slight downward position all the time.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
baxmd

Post by baxmd »

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. We'll try the silicone spray today. If that doesn't work, we'll add it to our short list of questions for Kim. We'll let you know what happens.
Tom
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Here are views down, straight out (level), and up. It has some friction so as to stay in place with hose attached or when traveling.

Bill
Attachments
Dump Valve UP
Dump Valve UP
up.JPG (262.35 KiB) Viewed 7294 times
Dump Valve Straight Out (Level)
Dump Valve Straight Out (Level)
srtraight out.JPG (265.12 KiB) Viewed 7294 times
Dump Valve Down
Dump Valve Down
down.JPG (282.39 KiB) Viewed 7294 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Bill: Silicone, yes. WD40 will leave a sticky joint after while and should only be used for temporary lubrication that will get friction-ed off the surfaces.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”