Just getting a '99 RB Bornfree

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tanksalot

Just getting a '99 RB Bornfree

Post by tanksalot »

Enthusiastically, my wife and I put down a deposit and are purchasing a 24 ft. 1999 BF from a wonderful elderly couple. 45K miles, 80 hours on the generator, and new tires. Decent deal, but the generator won't run. Probably needs a carb rebuild. Interior is immaculate, and the maintenance has been excellent.

I can understand the non-starting Onan, and plan on rebuilding the carburetor. The camper hasn't been used in about 2 years, so what other systems should I take a close look at? I'm quite mechanical, and can fix just about anything, but I'd far prefer to be home rather than on the road when the problems get fixed..

Thanks in advance!

Stan F.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Stan,
I would replace all fluids and probably all hoses, serpentine belt, filters. Verify with Ford dealer whether this model was involved with the multiple recalls related to speed control and it's status of having all recalls done.
Have brakes/calipers checked. A wheel alignment at truck shop might be good idea. Shocks should be replaced if they are original. Take a good look at coach and chassis batteries and replace for sure if more than 5 years old. Others may want to comment. If you do all this, it will most certainly give you some familiarity with the unit.
Good luck and welcome,
Ralphk
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Hopefully when you say "new tires" you mean the tires were purchased in the last few months. If they just look new, be sure to check the date codes on the tires to be sure they are not 5 years or more older. If the rig has not been driven in 2 years and just sat on the tires you might want to replace the tires anyways.
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

Check all appliances. When we got on the road and it was cold, we found out the heater fan had a mud doppers nest in it and the fan wouldn't turn. Easy fix, but not on a cold night. Also, the micro/conv oven didn't work on the convection side. Had to replace the whole oven.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

tanksalot

Post by tanksalot »

Thanks for the feedback! Fortunately, the previous owner was meticulous in his care of the vehicle, even going so far as to put a drip pan under the water tank fitting when disconnecting the tank to put in winterizing anti-freeze. The tires are new, not "good tread but aged".

It's good to have this forum to turn to.

Thanks again.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Congrats on buying a BF. If you have new tires make sure you get wheel covers for them. I got a set from Harbor Freight for $9 I think. UV rays kill them. Mine had tires that were only 2 years old. That was a major selling point.....$1,200 I didn't have to spend.

I bought an '89 last October with a few quirks. Mine is 10 years older than yours but here is what I have had to do - trans pan was dripping and rear diff was leaking so I had those taken care of. The toilet wasn't sealing so I replaced the internal gaskets (I have a video if you need to mess with the toilet). The most recent thing I had to do was replace the HWH. The inside was rustty and with the tax return DW said bring it in and lets have HW this year.....I love my wife. $800 total. I could have attempted that myself but Uncle Sam was good to me this year. I had to also replace the house battery. It wasn't holding a charge and I do a fair share of dry camping.

Good luck with it. Post any repairs you do to it. I love to learn from fellow owners.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

Sam Ryan wrote:
Lee,

Get a couple of these spring-loaded spring screens that when kept in place yearound, will prevent mud dauber wasps from infiltrating squirrel cage fan assembly in coach propane furnace.

Bought them from a Camping Worls store in Denton, Texas about 5 years ago. They're pricey little gems, but do the job efficiently for store bought, ready made items.
Thanks Sam, That is what I did, but I put them on the inside of the vents.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”