24 ft RB or 26 ft RB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bogiesmom

24 ft RB or 26 ft RB

Post by Bogiesmom »

We are very interested in purchasing either a 24 foot or 26 foot rear bath 2006 Born Free. We are hoping you guys can help us out on making the right decision on which coach to purchase. It will be for just myself and my husband and our traveling companion is a Basset Hound. We like to travel, camp for 2 to 3 days at a time in the same spot in state parks, etc. We are familiar with Class C's, presently own one, but think it's time for a change. We have read about the quality of the Born Free and the wonderful reputation of the factory and it's support.

I (wife) am leaning toward the smaller 24 foot, thinking it will be easier to handle in traffic and congested areas while traveling, easier to park, etc. Hubby says you won't know the extra two feet is back there.
Could you list:
The pros and cons of each size coach.
Does one size handle any better than the other on the interstate when semis roar by or in crosswinds? (We live in South Dakota and the wind can be a big issue when traveling.)
Would we need to add things like Bilstein shocks, Safe-T-Steer, etc for better handling?
Why you like your Born Free?
What options do you have, and what options do you wish you had gotten but didn't when you purchased?
Have you had any problems with your Born Free?

Thanks for all your help and input. I'm sure we will have more questions as we proceed.
jdarryl

Post by jdarryl »

One major reason we chose the 26' RB was for the storage. It was (in our opinion) just that much better than the 24'RB and definitely fit our lifestyle better than the RSB storage.

You get two closets with the 26' only one with the 24'. Plus you get a double set of pull out drawers wider than the others, big plus for Emily because she needs more business attire while we are on the than I do. (This is if you get the 26' RB with the door in front of the rear wheels.)

We almost bought a new 26' RB diesel, but couldn't quite justify the potential loss driving a new one off the lot. We ended up buying a 2001 26' RB diesel which has the dinette so we ended up losing the extra closet that we had wanted, but we also saved more half the price of new one. (We are so happy with our Born Free...Simba)

We test drove a 22', a diesel 24'RB and a 26' RSB gas and a 26'RB gas. I personally noticed that the 24' had a definte amount of shuddering at around 60 miles an hour and that the 26'Rb didn't have as much of a shudder. I noticed this because I have a bad back and could definetly feel the stress after about 20 minutes of driving.

Now this could have been because the 24' was a diesel and the 26' was a gas motor, but we ended up getting a used 26' RB diesel and I haven't noticed the shudder that I noticed in the 24'RB.

Also, for what its worth the diesel seems a little noisier at lower speeds than a gas, but again I noticed that the gas was much noiser sitting in the back than sitting in the back of the diesel under full throttle.

My wife and I took turns sitting in the back while the other drove and we came to the same conclusion. We could hear each other talking from the front and back of the coach when we were in the diesel.

When we first got in the diesel we were a little surprised at how noisy it was sitting in the drivers seat while excelerating, but you hardly notice it once up to speed. The converse to that was how noisy it was sitting in the back when we were in the gas.

The 26' RB kitchen has more counter space as well.

I think that's it, if I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

My advice is to test drive as many as you can and more than once. We went back to the dealer at least 6 to 8 times to drive them and just sit in them and get a feel for each of them.
Mel Wilbur

24 vs 26

Post by Mel Wilbur »

It probably comes down to your preferences for closet space and kitchen counter top area plus sleeping arrangements (overhead bunk or sofa) If you choose the sofa for sleeping you can then opt for the overhead entertainment center with tv and storage space. Although we own a 26RB I have to agree with your "hubby" that you will not notice the extra 2 feet when driving but you will appreciate the extra counterspace, closet space etc.

As for driveability in windy conditions I can only say we are very pleased with the addition of the items you mentioned. In our case I have added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, front and rear IPD sway bars, and Koni shock absorbers. On the subject of shocks and having switched from Bilsteins my personal opinion is that the Koni's have an equaly firm but less harsh ride than the Bilsteins and they are adjustable. You do,however, need to put some mileage on a new coach before making any major additions in order to find out if you think you really need them.

If possible, a trip to the factory in Humboldt where you could check out the various models and floorplans as well as test drive a coach or two would be well worth the time and effort.

Bottom line is that regardless which model you chose, you will be very happy in a Born Free.
Mel & Connie
lassen

Post by lassen »

I'd second Mel & Connie's vote of a trip to Humboldt for you. There you could check out sizes and floor plan arrangements of both new and used units and maybe spend a night in one as we did prior to our first purchase. Be sure to note the kitchen counter space in the 26RSB.

Our first unit was a 26RB and now a 24RB. Same unit except the two additional ft. closet on each side of which we don't miss. We do notice the shorter turning radius, stability seemed about the same, but have installed the Blu-Ox TruCenter steering stabilizer which made a noticeable difference.

Changed out the Parallax Converter for a PD9160 3-stage charger along with a trade from wet cell coach batteries to AGM's. Also a spare tire carrier that fits into the hitch reciever as we don't have a toad.
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

What Mel said.

I have a 26' (and I'm a female driving alone) and I do tow a car as well. It takes about a day to get used to it. Then it's just like anything else you do. You learn how, and it's no biggie. I doubt I'd notice the 2 feet if they were missing. Or that I have them. However, saying that, I like the 26 for 2 reasons. The extra closets. And the drawers are in a "wardrobe" like closet...and you still have your drawers for kitchen stuff.

I tgravel alone and often eat in. I like to cook. I enjoy "housekeeping" type activities and often stay in one place 3 or 4 days or longer. Maybe as long as a month. (I like to take my time and get a "feel" for the place, not just 'do' a tourist locale.) I want to shop int he groceries, talk to th elocals, go for walks, not just do the toursit things and run from thing to thihng... so I like to stay in one place and still be comfortable.

For these activities, the extra closet and kitchen space is a HUGE plus. I can cook a complete meal. I often do. I really do prefer eating in when alone, and I'm alone often. 75% of my RV time is just me and the bird.

I like having a place for a few hobbies I bring for my "rest days" which I MUST have. I don't move at the pace most others do. Not for as many days in a row....

But a 26 handles quite nicely. I can back it into anywhere. I do not feel at all intimidated by the length.

I DID get the Koni shocks and IPD anti-sway front and rear and for wind mitigation, it's the best thing I've ever done. I've heard others poo poo it, but maybe I just like high wind areas. I am so often dealing with 40 mph side winds and I have to drive (or sit there until I die because there's ALWAYS a side wind in some of these places...and in SD you know just exactly what I mean) I found that it is night and day difference in handling the rig. I drove 15,000 miles on the stock equipment. Kept finding myself in mountain crags with high wind gusts and in places like Oklahoma or colorado rockies. Always, wind. Konis and IPD made it like a whole new rig. I would do it again in a heartbeat. They won't put them on for you at the factory...I don't know why. They claim they drive just like the car. Well, maybe they just don't go where I go? Or? I don't know. I can't discount other's experiences. But I know that I decdied it was worth the decidedly costly invesment and I'm not looknig back. Best thing ever. Now I have to look closely at the grasses to see if the wind is blowing. Somtimes it's really blowing 15-20 mph and I CAN'T TELL. It's that much a difference.

I could be a walking ad for those. I like the Koni's. They did make the ride nicer. But part of it is proper tire inflation and airbag inflation for the amount you are loaded...

I like the Born Free specifically because when I pull in (usually on the way home from a long trip) I have a list, somteims little items, some bigger items, and they go over and fix or replace everything with NO problems and no arguments and they do GREAET work and they treat you very well while they do it. I love having the warranty. I make the list and just hand it to them so they're prepared.

I'm in and out in no time. I know I can be a nuisance and I'm never treated like one ! <g>

They care and no matter how small the detail or how large the matter, they take complete care of it.

And it's quality to start wtih. Best components available. They listen. They're responsive. They're professional and polite. And they offer quality. What's not to like?

Oh, for the record. My 2005 26' RB is 1 year old last week. It has 18,600 miles on it and I spent a total of 8 months maybe almost 9 months in the rig in this past year.

If someting was going to go wrong, it would have. It's been from New Hampshire, Massachusets and in the residential areas of Conneciticut, to San Diego, Orange County, El Centro and the central deserts of California, Texas, Arizona, Colorado Rockies (twice) On the beach on Padre Island, in the desert at Quartzsite, and MN, and Wisconsin. Gravel roads. No roads. Beach sand. Rock. Mountain grades towing a jeep.

It's a great vehicle and it is obvious that Born Free cares about happy customers. When it's time to move into a new unit, it's the first and probably only place I'll look.

Eat lunch with any team. I had a pizza and ate with a group of folks, and they treated me like just one ofthe folks. It is great. I really think you can't go wrong. But go to Humbolt and see for yourself!

No they do not pay me to say any of this. I paid for the priveledge of being in the position to say it. It was a great purchase and i do not for one minute regret it. Will be at the birthday bash in June. Hope you can make it and meet many many BF owners and they'll tell ya (over a cup of joe and a hot dog or whatever) what makes us a happy group.

Trish
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Hi. We have a 2004 26' RSB. I think that the storage space in either the 24 or 26' RB would be adequate - we don't have as much typical closet type space in the 26' RSB as either of those units and we do fine. We are right now packing for a 7 week trip to Alaska and it is not a problem and I am the original take too much along person. For me the deciding factor would be the difference in the kitchen counter space between the 24 and 26' RB. I wish I had the counter space in the 26' RB!!! If you cook a lot, and I do, it is important. But, we opted for the bed. Whatever you do, you won't be sorry!

Judy Harris
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

Thanks for all the great information and wonderful replies. All of you have been a great help. Any other thoughts, ideas, or tips will be appreciated. We are hoping this will be our last RV purchase, and hope to do it right this time for many fun filled camping and traveling years during our retirement.
Bogiesmom, Hubby, and Bogie the Basset
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

We started out with a used 24'RB diesel that had the entertainment option (no cab over). This was a great unit, but we wanted an additional spot to take an afternoon nab and additional closet space. We went to the factory and saw all of the units and we just had to have the 26'RB diesel. The additional closet and cupboard space is phenominal. As to the handling- the 24' seemed to have a shorter turning radius, but the on road hadling of the two seemed the same. We did not add any shocks, stabilizers etc to either unit (put 54,000 on the 24') and have not seen a need to. Passing big rigs or strong cross winds have not been a problem. The 26'RB we bought has the cab over with bed and we also have one couch that has the adjustable control (like a hospital bed) that my wife has staked out as "hers". So this gives us two spots for an afternoon "laydown and read".
We frequently take extended trips which often take us to very varied climatic conditions, thus the need of the two closets in the 26'RB. We can both take whatever we want and the other one will not complain that "I don't have any room for my stuff".
One last thought- when we shopped for our first unit we contacted Born Free and asked for the names of individuals in our area that had units that we might go and see (there is not a dealer in our area for Born Free).
Jim

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”