Dual USB Charger Socket - 2 USB Ports for our coaches

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Steve

Dual USB Charger Socket - 2 USB Ports for our coaches

Post by Steve »

I installed two dual USB charger sockets in our 2005 24RB one on each side of the coach for our (now) numerous electronic devices. The pics are for the socket located on the passenger side and I ran the 12vdc wiring inside the space for the pull out pantry. The 2nd one was mounted on the drivers side and next to the telephone jack and the wiring was run under the sink and directly to the fuse panel for the converter. The specs say these draw 15ma but I measured mine at 5ma so I did not bother with installing an extra switch and just keep them powered up all the time. Maximum total output current is 2.1A.

Blue Sea Dual USB Charger Socket - 2 USB Ports w/Watertight Cap and can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Dual-Cha ... B0082CXEI8 and http://www.bluesea.com/products/1016

Steve
Attachments
Front of 2 Port USB charger_Pantry1.jpg
Front of 2 Port USB charger_Pantry1.jpg (184.08 KiB) Viewed 9074 times
Back of 2 port USB charger from pantry side1.jpg
Back of 2 port USB charger from pantry side1.jpg (172.34 KiB) Viewed 9074 times
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Nice install.

Wish it had a single usb socket that output 2 amps so it would charge my ipad 2. Unfortunately both sockets combined output the rated 2.1 amps, meaning each sockets outputs only about an amp.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dude

Post by Dude »

Nice Mod.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Roger

Post by Roger »

I think the 2.1 amps is the total draw from the unit. You should be able to plug something in that draws 2.1 amps as long as you didn't plug anything
into the other side.

This unit, apparently, has some sort of voltage reducing circuitry inside that changes the 12 volt vehicle power to the 5 volts required by many of today's gadgets. I'm going to take a guess and say that it's some sort of switch mode power supply (SMPS). These type of power supplies have a reputation for producing horrific amounts of radio frequency noise if not filtered properly. If you don't listen to AM radio, this probably won't be a problem. If it's noisy, you might want to include a switch for turning it off.

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

You have more flexibility in installing 12V cigarette lighter style sockets. They are adaptable to USB plugs with plug in adaptors but could still be used for other things that take a full cigarette lighter plug.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
stevek

Post by stevek »

I see they make a 110 VAC duplex outlets with built in USB.
New to all this. I guess they convert the voltage to USB... built in?
What about just replacing a existing AC outlet in the BF with these?

Also my inverter has a USB port.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Steve

Post by Steve »

OK, the Battery Charging Specification for charging ports is 1.5A max per port (as of Jan 2013) and the battery charging spec for USB 3.0 is 900mA. I believe this unit will source 2.1 amps per port if you only use a single port. It charges my Kindle Fire HD with no problems. I can't attest to any RF noise as I did not test for that.
I did install a standard 12vdc socket and used a two port plug but that was just too inconvenient to use plus I already have 4 of them and really don't see the need to have more as these USB sockets are better suited to the electronic devices we have (personal preference).
I looked at the 110vac outlets but they will NOT fit the spaces provided in our coach (2005 24RB), take a look at yours and you will probably notice they are specialized outlets for RV's. Here is a URL for the 110vac/USB and notice they are also 2.1A total output: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T5630-W-T ... roduct_top
Finally if you are dry camping and want to charge your cell phone and are using the 110vac variety then you would have to use an inverter to power those devices.

Steve
Steve

Post by Steve »

This is a reply to Rogers comment that a switch is needed because of RFI. Not having access to a Spectrum Analyzer (since I retired) I used the next best thing, a portable AM radio. There was NO noticeable difference when the USB charger was powered on or off.

As for the iPad 2 charging at 10W or 2A just means that it will take a little longer to charge the device, I did note that Apple came out with a 12W charger: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836 ... er-adapter but uses a non-standard cable.

Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”