Buying Advice - BF 26’ Rear Bed President from 1990-2000

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

The Libals

Post by The Libals »

pglover19 wrote:
The Libals wrote:I do not believe they made a non-presidential model as every single one in this age group that I've ever seen was a President. It would also be neat to see one with a convertible dinette as I have not seen that either. Mostly they have two chairs with a table that comes out from a slot in the wall. Then there is usually another chair on the other side. Mine has the chair, but then a futon-style couch that folds down into a bed. The way the cabover is designed makes for a great large bed that my wife and I can sleep on very comfortably and I am 6'2"/250. I have found that rear corner beds do not have enough length for a man my height. Mine instead has rear bunk beds that serve very well for our family of 3. My 6 year old loves the top bunk. I would tend to agree that a 450 would be better, mostly for the much added weight capacity, but I have been able to haul everything in my 93 24' rear-bunk model and tip the scales right at 11,000lbs and this with a 7.3 turbo-diesel! If you get one, I have zero doubt that you will love it. They are made so well compared to anything I've been in that is also a Class C. I looked at close to 50 motorhomes before I bought mine, and every last one of them had rot somewhere... Expect to pay anywhere from around $7000-$25000 in the 1990-2000 range. I missed out one the first one I saw which was an 85 24' RB with a 6.9 turbo-diesel and 60K original for $5500. Now I have the 93 and paid almost double for it. But I do very much prefer the updated front-end of the late-92 and up Fords. Much more pleasant inside and out. Good luck in your search!
Can you post some pictures of the rear bunk area. I am also 6' 2"/200 so the rear bed may be too small for me.. I think the 26' RB would fit my needs than the 24' RB.
I will get some up for you this afternoon. In response to another question you had about engines, I believe the first year for the 6.8l V10 was late 1997. The earlier V10's had issues with spark plugs blowing out of the cylinder heads though. Still a great engine though. I went with a turbo diesel because I can push nearly 500 miles on the same 40 gallon fuel tank that I would be lucky to get 350 with if it had the 460..
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

The Libals wrote:
pglover19 wrote:
The Libals wrote:I do not believe they made a non-presidential model as every single one in this age group that I've ever seen was a President. It would also be neat to see one with a convertible dinette as I have not seen that either. Mostly they have two chairs with a table that comes out from a slot in the wall. Then there is usually another chair on the other side. Mine has the chair, but then a futon-style couch that folds down into a bed. The way the cabover is designed makes for a great large bed that my wife and I can sleep on very comfortably and I am 6'2"/250. I have found that rear corner beds do not have enough length for a man my height. Mine instead has rear bunk beds that serve very well for our family of 3. My 6 year old loves the top bunk. I would tend to agree that a 450 would be better, mostly for the much added weight capacity, but I have been able to haul everything in my 93 24' rear-bunk model and tip the scales right at 11,000lbs and this with a 7.3 turbo-diesel! If you get one, I have zero doubt that you will love it. They are made so well compared to anything I've been in that is also a Class C. I looked at close to 50 motorhomes before I bought mine, and every last one of them had rot somewhere... Expect to pay anywhere from around $7000-$25000 in the 1990-2000 range. I missed out one the first one I saw which was an 85 24' RB with a 6.9 turbo-diesel and 60K original for $5500. Now I have the 93 and paid almost double for it. But I do very much prefer the updated front-end of the late-92 and up Fords. Much more pleasant inside and out. Good luck in your search!
Can you post some pictures of the rear bunk area. I am also 6' 2"/200 so the rear bed may be too small for me.. I think the 26' RB would fit my needs than the 24' RB.
I will get some up for you this afternoon. In response to another question you had about engines, I believe the first year for the 6.8l V10 was late 1997. The earlier V10's had issues with spark plugs blowing out of the cylinder heads though. Still a great engine though. I went with a turbo diesel because I can push nearly 500 miles on the same 40 gallon fuel tank that I would be lucky to get 350 with if it had the 460..
Thanks... Based on my research so far, it's hard to find a diesel BF 26'. Most are gas. Was there a certain year they stopped with the diesel engine?
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

pglover19 wrote:Has anyone compared the Lazy Daze 26' Mid Bath model in the same years (1990 - 2000) to a Born Free? From my observation, it looks like the Lazy Daze will accomodate 6 adults without a problem. Please advise.
The Lazy Daze is a boxier design. It will give you a bit more interior space. If you go on their Yahoo site, you should be able to contact someone who will show you their rig. 6 adults is a lot in any class C, even one of those Fleetwood 30' models with slides. 6 adults is a lot in many houses! Try before you buy.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Dude

Post by Dude »

I don't know about the other years. If they don't have them, you can easily get the pedestal brackets and put one in. Yes, the driver and passenger seats swivel. You have to play with moving them forward all the way, turning a bit, back all the way, tilt, etc until you get them moved. The passenger can turn all the way around. The drivers does not, it hits the steering wheel. But I am able to turn it sideways. I usually put a suitcase or box or something in the dirvers seat.

Below is another configuration for the tables.

Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

ewagman wrote:
pglover19 wrote:Has anyone compared the Lazy Daze 26' Mid Bath model in the same years (1990 - 2000) to a Born Free? From my observation, it looks like the Lazy Daze will accomodate 6 adults without a problem. Please advise.
The Lazy Daze is a boxier design. It will give you a bit more interior space. If you go on their Yahoo site, you should be able to contact someone who will show you their rig. 6 adults is a lot in any class C, even one of those Fleetwood 30' models with slides. 6 adults is a lot in many houses! Try before you buy.
That is my observation as well that the Lazy Daze is more boxier. I definitely like the styling of the BF better from an exterior point of view.
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

pglover19 wrote:
The Libals wrote:
pglover19 wrote: Can you post some pictures of the rear bunk area. I am also 6' 2"/200 so the rear bed may be too small for me.. I think the 26' RB would fit my needs than the 24' RB.
Thanks... Based on my research so far, it's hard to find a diesel BF 26'. Most are gas. Was there a certain year they stopped with the diesel engine?
It is very hard to find a diesel because they didn't make very many. It was an expensive option and most people buying new preferred the quieter gas engines anyway. But they never stopped offering them. If you can find a 95-newer, then you could potentially get a powerstroke 7.3L. Also, look for one with meticulous maintenance records on the e4od transmission. They need to be maintained well or they will not last.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sorry, but the drivers and front passenger seats do not swivel. They may in the newer model Ford E450 and E350 chassis but I have never seen one.

Below are 3 photos of the optional dinette set that is convertible to a bed. The factory can install this option is an older coach that does not have this option.

For maximum sleeping capacity, I believe the particular model you would want would be a 26' RSB coach with cab over bed option and convertible dinette set option. Then you would have the permanent rear bed that could sleep one adult and one child, the Flexsteel sofa that could also sleep one adult and one child, the dinette set that could sleep one adult or one child in the bed configuration and the cab over bed that is large enough to sleep two adults.

That adds up to 8, 5 adults and 3 children. However, where you are going to keep all of those adults and children when not sleeping will be the real challenge!
Attachments
dinette_set_bed_uphostery_675.jpg
dinette_set_bed_uphostery_675.jpg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 15104 times
left_inside_view_towards_rear_764.jpg
left_inside_view_towards_rear_764.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 15104 times
This photo shows the table of the dinette in its stored position.
This photo shows the table of the dinette in its stored position.
tablestored.jpg (297.66 KiB) Viewed 15104 times
Last edited by whemme on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

whemme wrote:Sorry, but the drivers and front passenger seats do not swivel. They may in the newer model Ford E450 and E350 chassis but I have never seen one.
The drivers seat doesn't on mine because it is an 8-way power seat, but my front passenger seat does swivel all the way around. It is a factory flex steel.
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

The hardest part of trying to purchase a BF motorhome is to convince my wife. Right now, she wants no part of it.. That is the hardest huddle right now.
pglover19

Post by pglover19 »

whemme wrote:Sorry, but the drivers and front passenger seats do not swivel. They may in the newer model Ford E450 and E350 chassis but I have never seen one.

Below are 3 photos of the optional dinette set that is convertible to a bed. The factory can install this option is an older coach that does not have this option.

For maximum sleeping capacity, I believe the particular model you would want would be a 26' RSB coach with cab over bed option and convertible dinette set option. Then you would have the permanent rear bed that could sleep one adult and one child, the Flexsteel sofa that could also sleep one adult and one child, the dinette set that could sleep one adult or one child in the bed configuration and the cab over bed that is large enough to sleep two adults.

That adds up to 8, 5 adults and 3 children. However, where you are going to keep all of those adults and children when not sleeping will be the real challenge!
It looks like the optional dinnette is a rare find as well. I have not seen any in my search so far.
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

pglover19 wrote:The hardest part of trying to purchase a BF motorhome is to convince my wife. Right now, she wants no part of it.. That is the hardest huddle right now.
Hahaha! That was exactly the issue I had. I drug my wife around to look at about fifty and saved the born free for last. When she saw all the junk out there and then how perfect the born free was it was just a matter of negotiating a good price and she was sold.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I have a '99 26' RSB...it has a E450 V10 engine....Have had absolutely no problems....My seats do not swivel in the cab area either....but agree that the rear bed is not big enough for 2 adults...but for me sure beats climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night....Love my BF...wish you luck finding what's best for you.....
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

pglover19 wrote:
bigdipper wrote:I am not certain the 26 had E450 chassis for this entire period. I would strongly suggest going with that rather than the E350. One might also argue for the V10 instead of earlier 460 engine but I'll not offer opinion on that one.
Ralph
Do you know what year they started with the V10 engine? Additionally would a diesel engine be better than a gasoline?
The V10 started in 1998+/-. Somebody will know this more precisely. Considering the diesel, IMO Ford has had quite variable success with diesels. Again others will know more specifics. Unless you anticipate driving lots of miles, gasoline engine is simpler and a diesel might not "pay off" even if used and turned out to be trouble-free.
JMO,
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Dude

Post by Dude »

Here is a pic of my front seats turned around. I guess the drivers seat can still join in the conversation but I usually put the child seat and other stuff I'm not using/need.

Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

Sorry for the delay. Here is a pic of the setup in my Born Free. When I originally bought it, the upper bunk had been removed, so I rebuilt it. Needless to say, it is much stouter than the original. I believe you could safely put 300 pounds in that upper bunk. Now with us 3, Isaac loves to sleep in the upper bunk, thus leaving us with the entire lower bunk for our clothes an whatnot. :D

Also, here is a link to a little slideshow of mine. I did a very similar thing with an LED TV above the door into the coach. Turned out really well and works fantastic!

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/djliba ... orn%20Free

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”