Anyone using only a 110 Volt Refrigerator?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Sorry for my oversimplified eutectic plate description, it has been a long time since I used one. The eutectic refrigerator uses a 12 V compressor to move the refrigerant through the plate, a condenser and an evaporator. The compressor is only run long enough to freeze (or refreeze) the plate making it very energy efficient. Depending on the ambient air temperature, it may only need to be recharged once every one or two days. I am not sure if they cost less than a 110 V refrigerator, but troubleshooting and maintenance are very straightforward, not to mention great for dry camping.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK
shezonit

Re: Anyone using only a 110 Volt Refrigerator?

Post by shezonit »

Follow up.
Okay, we added a second cheapie (harbor freight) solar panel to the roof and..... Ta da. This system runs the refrigerator. I haven't been in extreme heat, but it works here in Arizona winter and it worked in Montana summer. I'm careful about use, and making sure I have all my 6 blue ice packs frozen up in advance and haven't used it more than a week at a time. But, compared to the cost of a new propane refrig ($1200ish), the 2 solar panels were about $380. AND they maintain the house batteries and support all the lighting etc.
Very liberating to have ice cubes and NOT be leashed to shore power.....

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”