Best Toad for Flat Towing

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

Best Toad for Flat Towing

Post by wjhgolf »

Considering switching out our "winter vehicle", which is currently a 2010 Buick Lacrosse and buying a replacement that would also serve as an excellent, flat towing Toad. We don't need the "long distance" comfort of the Buick anymore. Any suggestions? Even though I'm a "GM guy", I broke that rule when I bought our Ford Born Free. I am seriously considering a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) - maybe Sport S model, since it appears as though Jeeps are the preferred tow vehicle by many. We may opt for the automatic - since you can flat tow either - even though we can both drive a manual transmission. We would need the longer 4-door model to haul "stuff" and to transport our canoe, which we can't do on the Buick.
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I tow a Smart ForTwo, but if I had the money, I'd tow a Honda Fit. Both automatics, easy to tow, get excellent gas mileage and great run around cars.

Bill
Attachments
5_Smart_FrogCar_610x420.png
5_Smart_FrogCar_610x420.png (311.09 KiB) Viewed 6768 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I tow a 2008 Jeep 4 door Wrangler with an auto transmission. It is on the heavy side at about 4,500 pounds. That being said, it does tow good and has been a dependable vehicle. You can feel the weight behind you during acceleration and hills. I try to brake gradually, so I have never had to make a hard or panic stop. I do have the Brake Buddy in it and it has only activated a few times when needed.

Not much difference in gas mileage between towing and not towing. Probably due to the fact I drive faster when not towing, thus using more gas.

The newer Jeeps tell you to pull a fuse, which I do when towing for a more than a few hours. For 2-3 hour trips, I don't pull the fuse.

If you have specific questions I will try and answer them for you.

John
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I purchased a old 2000 Honda Accord with 130 K miles just for a toad. It is one fine car and we even use it as a spare car around home. It gets 30 mpg. I paid 3k for the car.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Since my 'toad' is also my daily driver, I like my Honda CR-V. It tows great with minimal setup. However, if I were buying a toad only, I'd get a Jeep Wrangler. Probably the least bother and the best choice for side trips on bad roads.
whemme

Post by whemme »

MY OPINION!

I have always wondered when people ask questions like which is the best toad, which is the best Class C (or A or B) motorhome, motorcycle or etc. And I am not trying to be critical of anyone posting such questions or those replying to those types of questions. It is natural for someone to want to know the best choice and for others to over their advice.

But here is my opinion on this matter. If there really existed a best toad, then market forces would kill all the others and there would end of being only one left on the market to choose from. As you can see from the 4 replies so far, each reply poster likes the one they chose as being the best. I maintain that there is no best toad choice. After doing recommended research and picking the features important to a particular toad buyer, then that choice should end up being the best toad for him/her. Others will probably disagree with that choice because of their own opinions and bias.

Just my opinion your understand!
Last edited by whemme on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I picked a 2000 honda accord for a toad as consumer reports lists it as very reliable, it gets good mileage, it is relatively light weight. I don't use a toad for off road. Everyone's choice depends on lifestyle and pocket book

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”